It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gas Prices-Don't Blame Bush?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Well if it's the economy and since oil companies profits are through the roof right now. I'm sure the oil companies won't mind reducing their profits back to an earlier level to ease the burden of war taxed Americans and assist in stimulating the economy. Right. And I'm sure they are just raising them to make the President look bad in an election year. But But But wait a second the oil companies are owned by Republican Bush supporters and the entire Government is being run by the Republicans. oh yeah I remember....It must be Clinton's fault.

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 11:18 AM
link   
AdmiralGates, kneejerk reaction shows a lack of knowledge on the subject at hand.

Last I looked the spot price of refined gasoline was $1.27 (might be higher now on speculation) The oil companies make about $0.10 a gallon, that adds up to $1.37 a gallon.
Now with prices ranging from $1.75 to $2.25 where would you guess the majority of the profit is going?, I can assure you its not the retailer making $0.01 to $0.05 per gallon.

Hint: contact your state govenor and ask him/her for relief, The fed actually returns its tax take to each state DOT to maintain Interstate highway system - whats your state do with the rest?

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 11:29 AM
link   
The war is not for oil.
Some here have mentioned the gas TAXES, a sign of big government where each state vies for a bigger share of the pie.

Most, if not all, countries pay more for gas than we do. I think we need to rethink our outrage here

We have untapped oil in this country, both in Anwar and in all the capped oil fields in this country.

Please tell me.
Why do all the non-painters and mechanics and plumbers need gas-guzzling behemoths. Hummers, oh, pleaaazze. It's all about power behind the wheel. I seen the drivers with that power glint in their eyes as they gaze down at me in my little Saturn.

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phoenix
AdmiralGates, kneejerk reaction shows a lack of knowledge on the subject at hand.

Last I looked the spot price of refined gasoline was $1.27 (might be higher now on speculation) The oil companies make about $0.10 a gallon, that adds up to $1.37 a gallon.
Now with prices ranging from $1.75 to $2.25 where would you guess the majority of the profit is going?, I can assure you its not the retailer making $0.01 to $0.05 per gallon.

Hint: contact your state govenor and ask him/her for relief, The fed actually returns its tax take to each state DOT to maintain Interstate highway system - whats your state do with the rest?

Anyone knows the higher the cost anything is with companies using a standard markup there is more money to be made by keeping the price up. 6% of $500 is more than 6% of $250. Standard economics. You are also incorrect in assuming the states are making more money off of the situation. Taxes are linked to consumption. In the end when the lower classes have to cut back on their driving due to high costs the states actually lose funds.

Economics is an interesting subject. You should study it.

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
We have untapped oil in this country, both in Anwar and in all the capped oil fields in this country.

Exactly why I support drilling Alaska. Fact is, we're not capable of any serious alternative fuel source. As a result, it's silly to let the mid-east have our "nuts in a vice" (so to speak). While the sudden access of the oil in Alaska may instigate a further usage of these gas-guzzling motorcars, they will also give the petrol market more elbow room, so to speak.
Additionally, it will provide thousands of blue-collar jobs.

Is the environment honestly the biggest concern here? To at least attempt to address that:
I. The only way we know how to potentially use an alternative fuel (hydrogen) requires fossil fuel to seperate. So, that's a recursive loop of chemical idiocy.
II. We already use petrol fueled motorcars: As a result, this isn't so good for the environment. I'm sorry for being a neanderthal, but is mining for it going to suddenly give everyone the world over Cancer, kill the first born, and turn water to blood?
I sincerely believe that for the greens out there, there can be many, many measures taken to help avoid any potential environmental issues. That is, if they could avoid cutting of their nose to spite their face: My guess is the Green party would NEVER even attempt to compromise for such an undertaking, thus resulting in the environment suffering even more damage than necessary.

Please tell me.
Why do all the non-painters and mechanics and plumbers need gas-guzzling behemoths. Hummers, oh, pleaaazze. It's all about power behind the wheel. I seen the drivers with that power glint in their eyes as they gaze down at me in my little Saturn.

As high as petrol prices may be, people are still willing to pay such costs. As a result, people will continue to drive these monstrosities until it is an economic impossibility for them to do so. For less than twenty grand, one can own a Honda hybrid car. Eighty+ miles to the gallon - and a very stylish, goodlooking, welldriving car (the same as we'd expect from Honda, not to sound like an advertisement). People will grip and complain, but refuse to take responsibility.
It's not a gas issue. It's a person thing. Sigh.

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Don't blame Bush? If it hadn't been for his arrogant "I'm the king of the world!" attitude after 9/11, maybe we woudn't have gotten into this mess (the Jihad and what it has casued - growing hate, gas prices, etc etc.)

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 03:05 AM
link   
especially when we are killing people, that's women and children who have done us no harm, for our economy and lower gas prices than the rest of the world.

May everybody on your block drive a Humvee!

Capitalism is just the opposite term of communism. It leaves 95% of its people without representation, without freedom, and without the money to buy these things..........Yrag Kesu

G

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 03:16 AM
link   
GWB's 'Short Term Fix' has spawned a 'Long Term Problem'.

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by madmanacrosswater

Originally posted by Phoenix

Anyone knows the higher the cost anything is with companies using a standard markup there is more money to be made by keeping the price up. 6% of $500 is more than 6% of $250. Standard economics. You are also incorrect in assuming the states are making more money off of the situation. Taxes are linked to consumption. In the end when the lower classes have to cut back on their driving due to high costs the states actually lose funds.

Economics is an interesting subject. You should study it.

Yes I have studied economics and I well know that increased price equals reduced tax reciepts. Many here could heed your advice instead of spreading simplistic blame that really has a small effect on what we pay for fuel

Class has nothing to do with it and only muddies the subject at hand.

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 06:01 PM
link   

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Saytr! That avatar is f*cking hilarious!!!!! OMF'ing GOD! I have a better picture, but it to big for an avatar and haven't figured out how to shrink it. But anyway, do blame Bush. He is suppose to control the country and what goes on in it.

But hey, he to stupid to realize it. Also, I drive a truck, but it a good one, it gets easily 30mpg. But hey, you find me a electric gasoline hybrid, I'll buy one.

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by James the Lesser
Saytr! That avatar is f*cking hilarious!!!!! OMF'ing GOD! I have a better picture, but it to big for an avatar and haven't figured out how to shrink it.

Ya like that? Are you a Monty Python fan?

www.toyvault.com...

He's a killer!

posted on May, 9 2004 @ 09:02 PM
link   
the war was for oil?

if thats the case why am i paying 1.90+ at the pump?

posted on May, 9 2004 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyIvan
the war was for oil?

if thats the case why am i paying 1.90+ at the pump?

I've already been through this numerous times with other people. Why would you even think for a second that an oil company would want to pass any savings they obtained on to you? Do you know nothing of big business? They sure as hell aren't doing it for you.
If Wendy's saves a million dollars by forgetting to give you a napkin every time you order at the drive through, do you think they're going to lower their prices?
"Well, you know, we made an extra million, so we figured we'd pass the money on to our customers."
I think that happens rarely, if ever, in this country.

[Edited on 5-10-2004 by Satyr]

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Would love to see how Uncle George and Aunt Laura signed that picture. LOL

Mine doesn't have the blurps.

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 11:27 PM
link   
It wasn't addressed to me. It is signed, though. My stepdad said he made a contribution to the Republican party during the Reagan admin, and they've been tracking him, sending him these pics, every since.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join