It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

*A Proposition For All ATS Member*

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Greeting friends.

I would like to propose an experiment that is open to all members who frequent this site daily. But before I get into this proposition, let me give you a little back-story of my time spent on this website.

I joined this website back in October of 2006, when I was but an 18 year, bright-eyed optimistic boy. That first year following my join date, I spent A LOT of time on this website. Hours on end at times. I had a lot of fun on here, especially the BTS side. I gained a lot of worldly knowledge which I am forever grateful for. I also met a lot of interesting online characters and formed what could be called "online friends."

Typing out so many posts also polished up my writing style. Reading threads and posts by intelligent individuals also forced me to increase my vocabulary. I began to use words which were never part of my vernacular before, and I credit ATS as part of that growth.

But at the same time, I also noticed something strange began to happen to me. I began to notice my sense of optimism and adventure for life slowly began to warp into this vat of negativity and contempt for life. I slowly became what can only be described as a misanthropist.

Where did this come from? I believe that reading a lot of the negativity that goes on at ATS is what began to affect my being. It is not uncommon to log onto this website and see a new thread nearly everyday about how the world is about to end, how an asteroid is about to crash into earth, how "swine-flu" is about to wipe us all out and so on and so forth.

Much like mainstream media, focus on negativity in ubiquitous around here. How many times on the news do you hear of the positive things that were done in the world today? Are those crickets that I hear?

It seems like the media - in my opinion - are trying to create a society of anxiety stricken individuals, who seem to be waiting for the next big "disaster" to strike. It's only a "matter of time" right? I don't believe so. Another interesting phenomena I have noticed on this website are threads where many individuals claim they can "feel", or sense that "something bad" is coming in the air. I will admit, two years ago when I was an avid poster on this site, I would've probably been one of those individuals claiming to sense the "danger" coming as well.

Then last year when I moved away from home to go to college, there was a period of about one year where I didn't pay attention to any media. I was too immersed in my studies and in my newfound freedom. But guess what I discovered in my time of ignoring the media? I discovered life wasn't so bad. In fact, waking up everyday became a joy for me as I was only focused on my own ambitions, selfish as it may seem.

Yes, my indifference to the media had set me free. The earth wasn't ending, an asteroid wasn't about to kill us, and swine-flu wasn't about to wipe out the human race. Life was good.

Nowadays, while I do visit ATS daily, it's usually only to look at the things that I believe will add something positive to my life. The same goes for the mainstream media, which I try to keep away from as it only focuses on negativity.

So by now you are probably wondering what my proposition is. It is this: Take a month off from ATS, mainstream news, and anything else that propagates negativity. Just forget about it and live your daily life without these distractions. Then you will discover that life isn't as bad as it seems. We each have our own little troubles to worry about and deal with on a daily basis, why exacerbate it by paying attention to the over hyped negativity in the media?

Let God worry about the troubles of the world and you worry about yours.

25 "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? 26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?

28 "And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29 Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? 31 So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' 32 For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. Matthew 6:25-34

God bless and good luck.

edit: grammar and spelling

[edit on 6/28/2009 by thehumbleone]

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Mods, may I also suggest this stay in psychology as I believe this has a big psychological component to it.

Thank you

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 11:41 PM
link   
It's a good idea. I take a break form ATS every so often, when i feel like punching my computer monitor. Lately i've been coming back for the time killing aspect and some interesting discussion. But i understand the OP completely. Too much ATS can make the soul a little slouchy.

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by W3RLIED2

thanks for the reply W3RLIED2. Don't get me wrong here, I am not saying ATS is that bad at all. i think people just need to be careful the things the allow into their awareness. They need to ask themselves, "Is all this negativity warranted? Is life really this bad?"

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   
I stopped visiting ats for about six weeks a few months ago.
Came back calmer, more patient, and more collected...it's really easy to get caught up in the things on this site, that's for sure.
Yes a break is never a bad idea.

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by thehumbleone

See ya in a month.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Well yeah, I suppose we could all go off on our own, never return here or anywhere else, and immerse ourselves in our own pursuit of self pleasure and blissful ignorance.

The problem is, that's exactly what we all have already done for most of our lives. And take a look around you now and see where it has left us. Acting like sheep only lets the wolves have a feast. And how big, fat and ugly and mean they have gotten.

I struggle with this exact problem you mention every day. And then I think of what our forefathers fought and died for. DIED for. Not play, not ignorance, not fun, not self-serving. DIED for. Remember that, as you drive off in your new foreign car, oblivious to the American worker, and oblivious to the incredible sell out of American labor that corporate greed has bestowed upon us.

Yes, ignorance is bliss. You think I don't want what you are proposing? You're damn straight I do. I just cannot do it in good conscience, in good faith, or in the spirit of responsibility that has been entrusted to us to maintain. And we have already failed, miserably. To take your route, although desirable, is indeed EPIC FAIL.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by heyo

Definitely man. And jackflap, good luck to you if you really do take time off from the media. You wont regret it.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 12:07 AM
link   
I agree, when I first came on ats it really did effect me. I was really driven to get a basic understanding of some of the conspiracies that meant alot to me but things seemed much darker in general. I did take a break for a few weeks and when I came back I was able to put things into a better perspective.

This is a very intense place, trust is one of the most basic things humans need. Here we see that our trust has been deeply violated on many levels, and it can have a far reaching effect on some people. If things get to be too much I think the suggestion of the OP is a wise one.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

TrueAmerican, I starred your post because I agree with a lot of what you said. certain things happening within our government cannot be ignored. That is a given fact.

However, Be careful of the garbage they (the media) are trying to feed us is all I say. A lot of it is lies and BS to make us fearful IMO. Fear mongering at its best.

And remember revolution starts out in the field, not in a discussion forum, helpful as they may be.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 12:12 AM
link   
I just take the doomsay with a grain of salt. I look at what is going on, looking for patterns. Not so much so i can say "OMG the world is ending!" but more to understand. Not everything has an evil motive behind it and there are many angles to look at an event from.

what drew me to this site in the first place was not the doomsay or political stuff ( which i read nowadays since its on this wonderful forum ) but the metaphysical stuff. This site in my opinion provides a good outlet for these things.

anyway, i dont think this experiment is for me. I dont think i let this site get to me in my day to day, i just keep it in the back of my mind. Make you look at things differently, not necessarily negatively tho.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

If you remove yourself from the "pen" too far, you'll find you no longer have access to it, leaving you powerless.
Sometimes people like to think inside the box.
I for one, see potential in the naivity of people.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 12:17 AM
link   

I agree. ATS is not a bad place in web land. In generall it offeres some pretty fair discussion about the best conspiracy stuff you can find, as well as up to the minute news for the most part. Sometimes i read stuff here first and then i'll see the same thing on which ever MSM outlet I watch for the evening.

The other side to ATS is that it really gets in your head. A lot of the stuff talked about here is not just simple yes and no answers. To find the real truth of the matters requires a lot of time and patient research... and not just on the net!!! Books and archival documents are important!

Punching the computer monitor was a joke but there is a sense of nervous energy that surrounds this web sight. Every one here wants answers and we all have many of the same questions. The trolls are easily ignored. And BTS is a good place to mellow out the discussions a little (all though i havent been on that board for several months actually).

I know that I'll take a break from ATS. It just happens on a whim. Eventually my brain will wear out on the doom and gloom and I'll come back at another time usually a couple weeks down the road.

On the flip side however (becasue we agree that taking a break is a good thing), I don't recomend walking around with blinders on pretending the world is in fine shape. There is things happening in the world that are worth paying attention too, and un fortunately the only outlets we have to find them is the net and the MSM. And when it comes down to ATS is pretty much tops for the alternative stuff.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Yes, ignorance is bliss. You think I don't want what you are proposing? You're damn straight I do. I just cannot do it in good conscience, in good faith, or in the spirit of responsibility that has been entrusted to us to maintain. And we have already failed, miserably. To take your route, although desirable, is indeed EPIC FAIL

Wow that was beautiful. But seriously, indeed an Epic fail. I look at these type of posts and what do I get out of these type of threads I ask myself? Indeed, it drives the questions from which answers are ever elusive. I totally agree with your post and what you are saying. I do also think it's important to read every post on this website with clarity and store the information conveyed on this site it in your head. Observe. Don't jump to conclusions and always keep this information in the back of your head. This website has changed my perspective on how I view current events on the expanse of the globe, even from the smaller perspective of just local community news and events. Just keep truckin' is what I say.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Ignorance IS bliss, but I'm not interested in that I would rather stay informed and unfortunately I have to stay aware because my life or freedom may depend on it.

Yes the truth hurts but truth has to be better than falsehood otherwise then we all might as well be blissfully ignorant to the dangerous threats that we may end up facing, such as gangs of thieves- you know who they are- and those who wish to control us.

Wolves win over the sheep and for good reason.

Are you a sheep or a wolf?

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by W3RLIED2

On the flip side however (becasue we agree that taking a break is a good thing), I don't recomend walking around with blinders on pretending the world is in fine shape. There is things happening in the world that are worth paying attention too, and un fortunately the only outlets we have to find them is the net and the MSM. And when it comes down to ATS is pretty much tops for the alternative stuff.

I cannot disagree with that.

But my message is this. Do not let the negativity and fear mongering the media propagates affect you too deeply.

How do you know if it has? Ask yourselves these questions: Am I living life everyday and enjoying it to the fullest? Or am i living in fear of tomorrow?

As James Dean once said, 'dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today." And we all will die one day.

While some may call it blissful ignorance, I cannot and do not want to waste my life worrying over things which I may have no control over.

IMO change must first occur within the individual. Do you want to change the world? Then you must change yourself first.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 12:37 AM
link   

I hear you on the media, and the advice is well given. And your OP has some serious validity- don't get me wrong. In fact, I was just thinking today of starting a thread on pretty much the exact same thing, but from a bit of a different angle. Since you started this though, I will wait for some time to pass, and be content to comment here with you.

What should be stressed in my opinion is balance. One that I have a difficulty achieving these days myself, because I have a lot of free time on my hands. So I tend to stay immersed in the sea of negativity you so eloquently point out. If I am not here reading about the latest government atrocity, I am elsewhere reading about some other vile injustice, and bringing it back here. I can't seem to escape it. I rarely go out just to have a good time any more, because I literally feel guilty. Guilty as charged for allowing the government to so infiltrate our lives, steal from us, abuse us, treat us like kids, and pass legislation with such underhandedness that it boggles the mind.

And the one thing that never, EVER goes away for me is the 9/11 attacks, and all the evidence against the official story. And the evil that event has spawned upon humanity. It is the greatest conspiracy ever. EVER. And so I stay continually in awe of its development, and the people, good people, honest people, who are really trying to uncover the truth despite their own personal lack of diplomacy sometimes, myself included.

I cannot just desist. I cannot just go away and forget it all. I cannot just let it, or anything else just slide anymore. And I am not alone. I don't WANT to be alone in this endeavor. I want and need the support of other people who are just as fed up, and ready to take a stand and make a difference. I cannot get that out in the street or at work talking the average person who is self-serving, all about his or her life, making it better, and ignoring the rest. That very line of reasoning is what has us in the mess we are in.

It's time to wake up. It's time to look around. You had your fun. You had your ignorance and accompanying bliss. We either unite and do something about this cluster of a mess, or one day soon it WILL come crashing down around us. And when it does, at least we in the know will have a vague clue why it did. And some of us will even be prepared for it. I am in the firm belief that the next false flag operation will be so huge they will declare martial law and attempt to take every last weapon there is from the American public. And if it doesn't happen that way, then it will surely happen one at a time.

Good for you to those that can achieve a workable balance and still have fun. I am in envy.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 12:52 AM
link   
i did that. a while ago, a mason told me to do it, and it worked great. taught me how to enjoy life, and still knowing the truth. switching from reality to illusion i call it. remember, that feeling you had your whole life, until you were 18, that was just one of millions of perspectives on life. when you joined here, you took on another perspective.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican

It's time to wake up. It's time to look around. You had your fun. You had your ignorance and accompanying bliss. We either unite and do something about this cluster of a mess, or one day soon it WILL come crashing down around us. And when it does, at least we in the know will have a vague clue why it did. And some of us will even be prepared for it. I am in the firm belief that the next false flag operation will be so huge they will declare martial law and attempt to take every last weapon there is from the American public. And if it doesn't happen that way, then it will surely happen one at a time.

Good for you to those that can achieve a workable balance and still have fun. I am in envy.

But is it not your fear that is making this all the more real for you? You are fearing that it is all gonna come crashing down on us one day that it in fact may happen. It's just like a self-fulfilling prophecy.

What if instead of everyone focusing on this fear and negativity, we began to focus on how things are gonna change for the better. Imagine the change that could bring. Focusing on the bad will only bring more bad IMO. Focus on what you want, then take action to bring it into reality. Do you think men like Napoleon were worried about losing every battle they entered into? If he had that mindset he surely would not have risen to the power he did. The thing is he went in KNOWING he was gonna win. Nothing else existed to him but victory AT ALL COSTS. That was his reality. It was only when he hesitated that he failed and it all came crashing down on him.

We have to focus on what we want, not what we don't want.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by gandhi

Exactly! And our perspective IS our reality. The mind seeks out that which it believes to be true.

You think the world is going to hell? Then your mind is gonna bring into its awareness things that match your perspective. You believe the world isn't so bad? Then your mind will bring into its awareness ideas that support you assertion.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join