It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

S. Korea boosts defense spending, warns of first-strike capability

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 10:41 PM
link   

S. Korea boosts defense spending, warns of first-strike capability

rawstory.com

In a reversal of the usual pattern, South Korea is now warning North Korea that it is developing a first-strike capacity against the communist country.

In the wake of a recent nuclear bomb test by North Korea, South Korea is ratcheting up its war of words against its northern neighbor, announcing plans to accelerate the deployment of defense systems.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I bet little I'll wont like this to much . We have NK threatening war for just about any reason that they can think of and now we have SK actually taking steps to be the country best suited to launch a first strike .

The rhetoric seems very different tis time around in the world of NK temper tantrums .

Still , I would bet that little I'll wont like hearing SK making threats of a first strike .

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Kimmy's definately freaking out right about now. I'm not sure what SK is trying to accomplish, the world knows NK is looking for an excuse to 'play'. And I havn't bothered looking into it but I'm not so sure the SK is close to producing any sort of strike capabilities.... without help from an outside source... like the US.

Any one remember when the Russians invaded Afghanistan? The US really wanted a piece of the action but couldn't directly get involved due to the cold war. So what did they do??? they went behind the scenes and made a few black market arms deals and then armed the natives. The natives in turn went and blew the hell out of the Commies and eventually turned them back.

I'd imagine that what you're hearing from SK is actually coming from another power thats stepping up to foot the bill for some defense tech. They'll slap a SK flag on the side of and there you go. No SK is ready to fight NK and the US can stay out of it until the time really calls for our involvement.....

This is all just total specualtions..... would not surprise me though.

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 11:04 PM
link   
wander what the north will do about this. they might strike very soon to counteract the souths defense bein built quicklier.

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Why does it have to be the U.S.? China seems to be growing tired of NK, too. Maybe they will ship a little assistance into SK to stabilize the area.

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by tamusan

Could be. I just figured the clandestine services are more than likely already involved... weather chinese or american. With talk like this you know theres action going on behind the scenes of the media veil.

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by W3RLIED2

SK has had an indigineous defence industry since the 1970's, producing the vast majority of it's weapons itself, including tanks, artillery, ships and aircraft. Not sure if you noticed, but SK is as advanced as any western country.

[edit on 27/6/09 by stumason]

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 11:19 PM
link   
After NK withdrew from the cease fire, this was bound to be the next step by SK.

SK needs all the help they can get. I would love to see the powers in the region handle this one. C'mon China! You want to be a real world leader, step up.

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

I was talking more about a nuke defense system... and nukes themselves. From what I've read they have none.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 12:12 AM
link   
I bet Little Kimmie is rolling around on the floor throwing another temper tantrum. I am sure the SK, with the help of the USA, wont have much problem putting Kimmie and the rest of NK in timeout if he decides to attack.

At this point I am sick of hearing about it, so I just wish he would attack so we could put an end to this. How long do you think it would take a US invasion force to take over that whole country. Probably a week tops.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by W3RLIED2

No, they seem to pretty anti-Nuke, although they have alot of civil nuclear power. They do, however, have alot of self-made missiles which could be used in a first strike against NK targets. I am pretty sure that the SK wouldn't want to use nukes so close to home, even if they had them.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 12:20 AM
link   
I think the South Koreans have always been pretty laid back to the North Koreans out of respect to the fact that North Koreans are still Koreans.

Knowing how the US military functions, I am sure they have more than enought weapons to take care of the North Koreans if they decide to go to far with things. The US military is not going to put 250,000 men out there without the means to take care of business when need be.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

I bet! Nuking your neighbor a couple hundred miles to the north isn't the greatest of ideas. I wouldn't mind one bit if they shot some missiles up north though. Some one needs to give em a little spanking and put them back in their place... Like some tac strikes on their nuclear facilities maybe??? I'd be willing to wager that some high res recon photos of every single critical target in NK are making the rounds as we speak.

Is the DMZ still the hottest active combat zone in the world? I know it was for a long time but I think the middle east might have taken the cake as of late.

new topics

top topics

join