It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need help defining Christian/Church "superstitions//traditions"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2003 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Particularly pertaining to TWO things.

One and I guess the Altar is in the East, but I left church so young can't fully remember so is that true?

But mainly...I was reading about "Left hand is evil and Right hand is good"

This apparently is true, but how is it percieved?

Is it Right Hand is good percieved if you were the priest in the east looking west? or is it Right hand is Good when you enter the church looking East?

Sincerely,
no signature

posted on Feb, 9 2003 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I know a Muslim prays to the east to Mecca

I know a Jew prays to the east to Jerusalem

Christians dont even know what position they pray because their stupid.

posted on Feb, 9 2003 @ 08:39 PM
link   
I'm left handed- am I evil?

posted on Feb, 9 2003 @ 08:46 PM
link   
That's not the question illimatic the question is what side of the Church is symbolically "evil" the north or south sides?

Sincerely,
no signature

posted on Feb, 9 2003 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I'm with you then, I havent been inside a church in a long time I didnt even know there were bad and good sides to a church.

posted on Feb, 9 2003 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Neither did I, which is why I think it is more or less bull# written by anti-masons, whom are unique (they are clever and not rude
) but still, if it is true I want the story on it, so as to properly analyze it, rather than just hear-say from a possibly biased individual.

Sincerely,
no signature

posted on Feb, 9 2003 @ 10:13 PM
link   
A fascinating subject: to the best of my knowledge there is nothing doctrinal about the points of the compass; but there is �of course �a long tradition of alignment East-West.
This may have pre-Christian origins: the temples of Greece and Rome usually (for pretty obvious reasons) faced the rising sun. And it became customary ( in the Western tradition) for the congregation and the priest at the altar to face east. In fact, �west front� became a convenient synonym for the facade of a church (i.e. the front �opposite the altar at the back)
Some churches were so built that a central line of the church�s axis pointed exactly to the rising sun on the day of the saint after whom the church was named.
On the other hand, St. Peter's in Rome, following what was claimed to be an earlier tradition, faces in the opposite direction.
Certainly the four points are ideal as representations of a cross and the very earliest records of the blessing of baptismal fonts indicate that this was a part of Early Church practice. The priest would make a cross on the water signs it with the cross and cast water to the four points.
There�s no exact correspondence of points and virtues (as, say, often in Masonic ritual) but the general idea of �East is good� is widespread.
However, it�s very much tradition not doctrine.

posted on Feb, 10 2003 @ 12:16 AM
link   
I heed your words Estragon, but the exact tradition of east to west is in fact from Hebrew, and ancient Israel, it simply is not written. For King solomon's temple was built East to west, though I've seen others try and say it was built with the altar to the west, I guess that means all of Christianity is Satanic then by their reasoning.

But many religions probably use the East west thought, for the sun rises in the east, and sets in the west, and so those directions are given prominence.

It's interesting about St. Peter's church, but more interesting about the st.'s day, because it shows that though the dark ages were dark, they still retained the traditions of astronomy with religion.

But yeah so the question still stands, where the hell did these people come up with the "right is good left is evil from the perspective of the preist"? Cause that's been bothering me, concerning the rosslyn chapel, but I'm not sure why they were talking about it, because the Rosslyn Chapel is completely "polar" meaning good is always opposite of evil.

So anyone else if they know what these people are talking about please chip in

Sincerely,
no signature

posted on Feb, 10 2003 @ 01:04 AM
link   
The right hand is traditionally the source of power and of good, and of blessing.

This is seen when Jacob stole the blessing intended for Essau ..

The right side - "sit at my right side" - is the place of honour.

Goodness knows why this is but right is indeed synonimous with blessing and power and honour.

with an overwhelming number of verses....

www.blueletterbible.org...

posted on Feb, 10 2003 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Ok, posting in advance if your link doesn't provide the answer.

Which side of the church is it though?

Because to me I'd think the north side would be "evil//left" and south would be "good//right" because of course that is how you enter it.

Sincerely,
no signature

posted on Feb, 10 2003 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Cetainly, a long history to the left-hand prejudice: e.g. modern "sinister" -no more than Latin for left-hand. Or "gauche" coming to mean "clumsy".
Just as a matter of interest - while common sense, not to mention archaeology elsewhere, and traditions, assume Solomon's temple was East-West -is there any scriptural basis in for this. I don't have a KJV to hand; but my memory is that, while 1 Kings and Chronicles, say, are full of details on materials, dimensions, and ornaments: I can't recall anything explicit about "East" or "sunrise" or something similar.

posted on Feb, 10 2003 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I don't think you can answer this one, because it will be different for different sects.

Looking at the oldest extant churches and cathedrals reveals no set pattern. There are references to "right path" and "left path" and the PATHS were considered to good or evil. However, there is not (in any of the large denominations I know of) a "good side" of the church and a "bad side".

Here's a good page on the symbolism in the cathedral of Chatres, which was typical of many European gothic-style cathedrals:
www.faculty.de.gcsu.edu...

posted on Feb, 10 2003 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illmatic67
I know a Muslim prays to the east to Mecca

I know a Jew prays to the east to Jerusalem

Christians dont even know what position they pray because their stupid.

That speaks volumes about your ignorance and myopia, and you did it all by calling me stupid. How ironic.

posted on Feb, 10 2003 @ 10:58 PM
link   
But what a splendid embellishment this posting is, TC, to a thread that is otherwise nothing more than informed contributions, civilised discussion, pertinent suggestions and a general spirit of inquiry.
We almost had... I tremble with foreboding as I type - a drivel-free thread here: a close shave, methinks.

posted on Feb, 10 2003 @ 11:01 PM
link   
And what a splendid revelation that -while the vast majority of Muslims live East of Mecca (Bangla Desh, Pakistan, Indonesia, India etc.), they do not in fact pray to the West but rely upon a round Earth and cross the International date-line to get to Mecca.
Damn clever! If they pray fast enough, their prayers will get there before they're uttered!

posted on Feb, 10 2003 @ 11:09 PM
link   
I think the reason christians don't pray in a direction is a philosophical issue. Christians don't need to... its not your actions, but your heart that is important.

The outward situation does nothing but hide an inner emptiness if you prescribe how you pray...

top topics

join