It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraq giant cannon

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Anyone heard that the iraqis has built a powerful giant cannon with the help of germans?
I do not have enough information but here is what beleived to be a picture of it.

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 09:24 AM
link   
bbc100, Welcome to ATS
Good old Saddam tried to get a super-gun
project up and running before Gulf War 1. He wanted to use it to
fire shells, VERY big ones into Israel, but he got busted importing
the barrel sections.
"Production of components for the Babylon gun began in Britain with the knowledge of British and US intelligence services. These were officially 'oil pipeline segments' for the 'PC-2' petrochemical refinery."
This kind of VERY BIG GUN...
www.astronautix.com...
It's a very interesting article.
Sanc'.

[Edited on 5-5-2004 by sanctum]

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 09:51 AM
link   
from the website above...

"The Project Babylon gun would have a barrel 156 meters long with a one meter bore. The launch tube would be 30 cm thick at the breech, tapering to 6.5 cm at the exit. Like the V-3 the gun would be built in segments. 26 six-meter-long sections would make up the barrel, totalling 1510 tonnes. Added to this would be four 220 tonne recoil cylinders, and the 165 tonne breech. The recoil force of the gun would be 27,000 tonnes - equivalent to a nuclear bomb and sufficient to register as a major seismic event all around the world. Nine tonnes of special supergun propellant would fire a 600 kg projectile over a range of 1,000 kilometres, or a 2,000 kg rocket-assisted projectile. The 2,000 kg projectile would place a net payload of about 200 kg into orbit at a cost of $ 600 per kg. "

WOW...now THATS a GUN!

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 10:04 AM
link   
I believe the cannon is derived from a South African weapon and is known as the G5 cannon - used in the 1980's during the ''Angolan-bush'' war.
It can fire over vast distances and is highly manouverable.

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 10:07 AM
link   
One hell of a 'shooter'. And he thought he could hide THAT in the desert

Proof that Saddam is nuts.
S.

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Hi all!!

Gerald Bull was the designer here

Quote from above:

"Gerald Bull, Gunsmith
b 1928 Ontario, d 1990 Brussels

Gerald Bull had a vision and an obsession, a vision that led to estrangement from his native Canada, prison in America, and ultimately assassination by Israel.

His vision was of an entirely new way to get into space: small rockets boosted by giant guns. To achieve it he worked for some of the worst regimes on earth: South Africa, China, and ultimately Iraq. His work affected the course of two modern wars and revived the ancient field of artillery."

Searching for his name will reveal more about the Iraqi "super gun"...

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 10:35 AM
link   
It was all made into a film too with Kevin Spacey playing the CIA op who blew the cover on this. I think it was called the "Super Gun Affair".

The Defense Minister at the time, Alan Clark, had his diary published soon after his death in 2000 and it talks about the scandles in the government over ignoring the construction of the gun. The drivers taking the segments to Iraq, not knowing what they had, were arrested and thrown in jail when they crossed into Europe. After the whistle blower, the government was forced to help get the people free.

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 10:40 AM
link   
The gun - Project Babylon Supergun / PC-2

(Just in case anybody is curious)

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 10:46 AM
link   
And just in case anybody needs to know the higher barrel on the left of Genyas photo is the smaller test cannon while the bigger hole to the lower right is the real deal.that did'nt get finished.

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 10:59 AM
link   
wasnt it a german sceintist that thought the gun up or some where around that area durong ww2

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 11:03 AM
link   

wasnt it a german sceintist that thought the gun up or some where around that area durong ww2

Where'd you hear that? If you mean a cannon - well they've been around for hundreds of years. But the design of the gun was definatly done by Gerald Bull's company. (Incidently he got bumped off by Israeli secret agents).

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Humpy

Where'd you hear that? If you mean a cannon - well they've been around for hundreds of years. But the design of the gun was definatly done by Gerald Bull's company. (Incidently he got bumped off by Israeli secret agents).

it was on the discovery channel oh well musta been wrong never mind

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Germans had a similar REALLY HUGE canon in the WWII. It was not as big as this Sadam thing but it was really impresive (and useless)weapon. It was the biggest cannon in the military history. They used it during the siege of Sevastopol on the Krym penisula. It took 2000 man and 6 weeks to asemble!

You can read more here:
www.aopt91.dsl.pipex.com...

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp

Originally posted by Humpy

it was on the discovery channel oh well musta been wrong never mind

No. You are right. The Canadian designer's plans had their roots in past German cannon developement.

In WWI there was a German Cannon called the "Paris Gun." It's shells were the first man-made objects to enter the Earth's upper atmosphere.

Then the Germans again in WWII developed other long-range cannons. These were guns that were so huge that they had to be mounted on trains to be moved. Do a google on Anzio Annie or the "Leopold" cannon.
I have seen that one. It is currently on display at the US Army Ordinace museum in Aberdeen, Maryland. It is about the size of three or four 18 wheeler trucks.

Here is a link to the Paris Gun that also mentions the Iraqi Gun as well.Paris Gun

[Edited on 5-5-2004 by Facefirst]

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Facefirst right above your post.

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by longbow

Thanks. I must have still been typing mine while you posted yours.
Thanks.

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 12:58 PM
link   
The Germans also were building one to target England. To be the next stage in the VRocket campaign. Never got finished though.

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Facefirst

Originally posted by longbow

Thanks. I must have still been typing mine while you posted yours.
Thanks.

No my bad. I have been talking about DORA (WWII) and you about Paris (WWI).

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Genya
The gun - Project Babylon Supergun / PC-2

(Just in case anybody is curious)

Nice image Genya. Reminds me of the opening credits for 'The Flintstones'
Maybe, Pisky could make Fred appear?

Sanc'.

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 01:04 PM
link   
If anyone has played Ace Combat 4, this gun is like the Stone Hendge, all most.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join