It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did Jesus actually walk this earth? Did he actually exist?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Did Jesus actually walk this earth? Did he actually exist?

nobeliefs.com

ALL CLAIMS OF JESUS DERIVE FROM HEARSAY ACCOUNTS

No one has the slightest physical evidence to support a historical Jesus; no artifacts, dwelling, works of carpentry, or self-written manuscripts. All claims about Jesus derive from writings of other people. There occurs no contemporary Roman record that shows Pontius Pilate executing a man named Jesus. Devastating to historians, there occurs not a single contemporary writing that mentions Jesus.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 03:27 AM
link   
This man did his homework. It's funny because I actually stumbled upon this yesterday, and up to that point, my thoughts were Jesus was a man that spread good teachings and he did actually live, and most likely was crucified - like 1000s of other poor souls. This, however, changed my view completely. He is also right on the titles given to Jesus being stolen from Egyptian dogma and Babylonian beliefs. It makes sense that as time goes on, older religions die, and out of them new ones spring up in their place. Thus...Christianity.

nobeliefs.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 03:38 AM
link   
reply to post by makinho21

Yeah. Jesus apparently was a nickname given which in Aramaic means 'Savior'.
Yehoshua Ben Joseph; whom scholars have hypothesised is the biblical christ, was supposedly from the Dead Sea community Qumran.
The religious leader of the Essennes.

Given the supposed 'nickname' aspect, it is not illogical to think of the Christ, in the same context of the Buddha. That being there was the original Buddha ( Prince Siddharta Guatama), and then many Buddha's following- those that had also attained the state of enlightenment.
I dont doubt that there is confussion in regards to the historical christ, seeing that he seems to feature as character in texts written at earliest, 150 years after his death (biblical texts).

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 03:38 AM
link   

We are always told lies.

But what Jesus taught is true, whether He existed or not, we have a clue as to how to live. Always forgive, always love and always care about all animals and people.

- love, forgive, and do not kill. nowhat we have learned from the lesson of Jesus, is to turn the other cheek, take care of everythinig on this earth. and to forgive

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 03:41 AM
link   
reply to post by spellbound

How do you know what Jesus actually taught?
Don't say because of your faith in the Bible (New Testament ) being a bonafide document; as that just boils down to matter of opinion with no rock solid evidence.

CX

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 03:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by spellbound

But what Jesus taught is true, whether He existed or not, we have a clue as to how to live. Always forgive, always love and always care about all animals and people.

- love, forgive, and do not kill. nowhat we have learned from the lesson of Jesus, is to turn the other cheek, take care of everythinig on this earth. and to forgive

What a pity the majority of so called Christians i know haven't worked these teachings out yet.

CX.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 03:46 AM
link   
reply to post by KRISKALI777

I don't know - it is all hearsay - but what a great way to live.

We could try and live this way, and if we did, the world would no longer suffer war.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 03:51 AM
link   
It's the only way to live, if you are a slave to the unstoppable Roman Empire.

You can't exactly have a One True God who exacts hellfire and physical punishments to non-believers if they've just set up a giant idol of Jupiter in the Temple of Jerusalem.

Kind of ruins the whole damn thing, doesn't it?

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 03:54 AM
link   

It is quite ironic I find that * I will for the sake of not starting argument with anyone call these views and morals Christian teachings * most atheists and non-religious folk I know - friends and family - and from what I witness on tv and read about, uphold most of these values quite adamantly. It is the religous followers who somehow "forget" their own lessons, and get caught up in aspects of the religion that don't really matter. Don't worry about impressing the lord. Don't worry about original sin. Live your life happily and treat others with the same respect and dignity you want shown to you. That is the one good I take from the bible.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 03:57 AM
link   
how do I set an avatar on my profile by the way?

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 04:00 AM
link   
www.youtube.com...

[edit on 26-6-2009 by peaceonearth]

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 04:01 AM
link   
reply to post by KRISKALI777

Did you happen to read "The Hiram Key"? It goes into great length about the Qumran community, and how various terms were tossed around from group to group, alot coming originally from the worship of the Sun God Ra. The authors also went on to "discover" the ancient secrets of their own organization, the Freemasons. Atleast...thats what they claim

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 04:01 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

That is because they are corrupted by the Church.

Jesus would be horrified at the Church's teachings, if He was alive or if He even existed.

Anyway, my point remains - love your fellow humans, love animals, and love this planet.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 04:02 AM
link   

Interesting question isn't it. No one can really be certain he did walk this earth. It appears that many stories from the bible including Moses and Jesus were all ripped from the Epic Of Gilgamesh.

Worth a read IMHO!

IRM

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 04:10 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

Moses is an Egyptian word that means "born of" - it's just missing the patron god that the recipient of the name comes from, hence Ramesses, Thutmose, etc.

His birth story isn't actually from the Epic of Gilgamesh, but from a great Mesopotamian conqueror called Sargon of Akkad (who is one of my all-time favourite generals), and the first emperor we know of. They probably had to invent the damn word for him!

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 04:11 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

Ahh yes I had this in picture book form from years back when I was in elementary school. One of my favorite library books to sign out. The pictures and characters were so cool. The story of Noah and the Ark is an EXACT rip off of Gilgamesh.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 04:15 AM
link   
jesus may or may not have existed
im no christian....I could care less
the ideas and concepts behind the an I believe were to instill positivity and provide soewhat of a basis of lessons to apply in life
Same goes with any ascended masters....
who cares if the man walked Earth or if he was made up...How many songs have artists wrote about a subject that never actually happened but the song itself conveys an important essage or idea...
I mean really if Jesus did exist today im sure he would be more angry at the fact that people debate the idea of him rather than the ideas presented by him..
I believe same goes for all religious figures
Some want to hold on to theirs for dear life
Others refuse to accept these so called miracle prophets or whatever existed
and others still realize that it wasnt the person it was the idea
to each his own...though I guess with any great movement of any sorts the idea usually falls second to the person speaking it

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 04:24 AM
link   

originated: 12 June 1997 / additions: 22 Sep. 2007

So not breaking news, but interesting nonetheless. Expect this to be moved to the religious conspiracies forum.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 05:32 AM
link   
reply to post by TheStev

Mona L'isa . Female divinity ...
Jesus , the older man , the younger man and the woman.... Mona L'isa ..

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Hey Spell,
I agree with you. The Christ if a real person- would no doubt be horrified. Real person I say because the verdict is still out; probably more of a concept that was high-jacked and raped!!!
The philosophy is great, but at times vague and hypocritical, and downright ridiculous.
I suppose its because the text we know as the bible is a conglomerate of texts. None of those mainstream texts were written by anyone whom may have known Jesus ( there is the time gap).
My granny asked me how come there is almost nothing of Jesus growing up ( his childhood, family life, teen years)? I said "good question Nan!".
All I could offer was the Gospel of Thomas (Nag hammadi).
When it comes down to it Spell....It is a beautiful ideal; but ideals are seldomly attained by mere mortals; and there other ideals just as good and yet less confussing than Christianity.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join