It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do you deal with your rationality when you see something?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 12:09 AM
link   
I remember, ahh the days of knowing everything...I was such a skeptic, my mind was sharp, my understanding of physical sciences was adapt, I had a finely tuned BS detector, I was a solid and happy athiest, and although I had a sci-fi love, I knew that it was what it was...fiction.

I think those days, there is a certain comfort in thinking you know it all, or at least could figure it out if you could be bothered to crack open enough books.
As far as advanced civilizations somewhere else in the universe...oh, I was sure of it..perhaps millions, billions even. but none here...relativity would make that pretty impossible (back then, quantum physics didnt have as much acceptable plausability to it...it was what you base sci-fi on, not reality)..so, no ufos in the sky, no ghosts in the bedrooms, etc.

I read a book, Engines of Creation, because I was fascinated with nanotechnology, futurists, etc..and since athiests have nowhere in particular to go, it would be nice to consider alternatives.

I remember soaking up anything to do with nanotech, assembler technology, plausability, heisenburg, leading me to einstein, etc...all a mass of jumbled intellectual curiousities in my head. At the time I was living over in England so there was plenty of intellects to debate with (my wife at the time being one of em). This only heightened my general curiousity.

I remember some years later being back in the states, flipping on the sci-fi channel while laying in a beach cottage with my new girlfriend (brazilian yumcicle) and there was some guy on named Bob Lazar talking about something..I sent her to bed (...I know), and watched this guy...he sparked my intellectual curiousity. I at the end figured he was perhaps out of his mind, yet he seemed to grasp some pretty complex fundamentals on the program...

Anyhow, after all that, I had remembered, or rather, decided to reexamine some experiences of the odd in my life, things I could never explain, and trust me, I tried like hell to explain em..I talked about em with my skeptic friends, random professors and scientists, etc...and my experiences could not be ripped apart to natural explanations beyond temporary insanity (wasnt insane when they happen..now is debatable).

So, here I am...no longer sure about anything. My hobbies are all changed (instead of researching about the latest developments in internet technology, or building flash websites, I am sitting on my roof at night with binoculars, researching ancient mythology and comparing stories with accounts of ufo abductions and encounters, etc)..My life went from quickly progressing through this material world to a sudden trainwreck stop. But my most suprising change is how I deal with people claiming stuff.

I used to be able to simply brush aside extraordinary claims by people, but now, I am dealing with a near split personality disorder, one side being the healthy skeptic, and another side being some crystal collecting hippy..what comes out at the end is perhaps more nonsense than if either side was driving individually...

I know this is alot of reading for a small question, but I guess this is driving me a bit off the wall mad..is obsession over truth that may never be found even healthy? how does a former hardcore skeptic resolve a happy medium after experiencing firsthand some stuff? How do we go on with life as normal after such events when the mind is demanding you go investigate further...how do you know when your losing your mind (side question there. heh). Incidently, if you have read this far, I will email you a cookie.

Thank you for your time, feel free to ignore this thread, or respond if it mirrors something about you...would like to know how others resolved the fighting lions of their mind.

[edit on 26-6-2009 by SaturnFX]

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Hey awesome thread!

Isn't it strange how looking back how important that new gadget was to get, or what color Britney underpants were ... or other insugnificant crap we are trained to focus on... and now we stare out at the skies looking (and often seeing) for things that can help us understand our lives?

Born - Educate - Work - Reproduce - Die

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by watchZEITGEISTnow
Hey awesome thread!

Isn't it strange how looking back how important that new gadget was to get, or what color Britney underpants were ... or other insugnificant crap

The color of cute pop stars underpants will always be important! lets not lose our minds now..

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Well Pleiadean women would put that thought to shame so they say...

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Well, I'm split really, like you but different. Either I treat the two realms (science and belief) as two true, but separate forms of reality; which doesn't make any logical sense because that would mean you live in both at the same time.
Or, inversely, I try to find the physical possibilty of such things existing. Look into some fractal/ sacred geometry, it'll blow your mind.

Thing is, science has about as much ground to stand on as god (as far as creation is concerned). People who say that belief in the non-scientific makes you somehow less of a civilized person haven't spent enough time under trees, or staring up at the stars.

When it comes down to it, you believe what you believe and you have to put a lot of deep thought into it. I spent about four years of nightly thought forming opinions about things. I was an athiest at one point, but not anymore. I'm not religious, per-se, because being overly dogmatic makes me cringe. But, for some people, religious belief or dogma is essential and that's ok. Ya know?

But, back to topic, don't look for immediate explainations. Take long walks and listen to the trees speak to the wind. You'll find all you're looking for little by little.

God that was corny sounding.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

I simply fip flop.

One minute it is Nibiru approaching the next is I look around and think no it just can’t be true.

But I know one thing for sure they are lying. It don’t matter which authority, they are all lying.

The question is about what??

Then Why??

The reason to why is not that difficult, it’s to protect themselves from us.

So you get back to the question about what.

The snag to all this is if I ever find out ahead of the rest will I tell??

You think you have a problem.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by MAC269

This rings as a voice of reason to me.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Reason and Logic have alot to answer for IMO. Not everything in this world, or indeed the universe can be explained by using reason or logic. Somethings defy even the most rational of explanations. Sometimes you just have to kind of give it a skewed look and get on with it.

I know a little poem about this, from the 11th century.

reason forbade me many things
which instinctivly I was attracted to
and a perpetual sense of loss i feel
If I believed a falsehood, or denied the truth.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Acidtastic
Reason and Logic have alot to answer for IMO. Not everything in this world, or indeed the universe can be explained by using reason or logic.

See, I disagree there, I believe that things can be explained and understood through reason and logic with the right info...the problem is, the more I learn, understand, and experience, the more I realise we are little more than shaved monkeys banging coconuts pretending we know everything. Our understanding of the universe is so small that our language and knowledge fails us and so we have these out of the ordinary experiences that we cannot explain, and it causes such a insane movement in our life.

Truthseeking is hard when the people whom are meant to study and understand simply ignore it. the religion of science is a corruption to understanding.
(science is a tool, not a career...yet most of todays scientists tend to use it as a career and ignore the reasoning of the tool)

Go on the other end of the spectrum, and you can quite often have the "Robbie Williams" issue..aka, 2 out of 3 people you meet that are "experts" are really just attention seeking snake oil salesmen.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   
SaturnFX, I’ve been living your question (the title of your thread) for a while now.

Honestly, I started out very open-minded; a believer that anything was possible. This may have lead to a bias towards unusual and atypical explanations for certain phenomena – phenomena that usually could be explained through more simplistic and mundane means, but I’ve mixed this fascinated bias with common sense and level-headedness.

With regard to what’s happening on the planet right now, and my own experiences, I literally feel like I am standing between two worlds.

I have, as do many others, sufficient tangible and anecdotal evidence that something is happening that actually defies logic, rationale and the physical laws as we have established them.

The fact of this would typically have the potential to tear someone’s psyche apart. Honestly. But out of all of the things I have read, seen and experienced, all of it has been taken in stride. If anything, I’ve had some awesome “aha” and “hell yes” moments; nothing fearful.

In fact, if anything, I've been frustrated that things haven't shifted fully.

What is interesting to me is that I can experience some things that defy explanation, and still go about my daily business haha

I have to say that someone more tightly wound would really be bothered, at the very least, with my own or others’ experiences. Some folks who haven’t awakened to the broader reality have in fact had these experiences and they’ve been traumatized. I believe these things happen, and happen to certain people for a reason.

I do feel, however, a tension that I am standing between two worlds. I feel a tension that I want to release – I want something to happen, because I just have this “the bridge is out ahead” feeling, and it’s not going away – it’s getting stronger.

Something big is happening right now. I just can’t say what specifically. I’m seeking answers, as are many others.

There ARE folks who understand what is happening, and as time goes on, people (including myself) are going to seek these people out. I already am sending questions their way. Someone knows what’s going on.

So, in the interim, How do I deal with my rationality when I see something? First, rationality has sort of gone out the window. You have to exist in a state of open observance, and to remove strictly rational or logical thought. Some say it means thinking with your heart, and I think that’s valid.

There are experiences I’ve had, as have others, that defy rational explanation. I think it’s a time to let the left brain take a back seat and just to open and experience the wonder and mystery. If you try to cling to a strict interpretation of physical reality – and what has been – as you move through the next days, weeks and months, you are liable to get a supernatural smackdown of epic proportions.

Your question (and thread subject) is very timely. The answer is probably to akin to that Eastern saying about being like “a reed that bends in the wind, but doesn’t break; being neither too rigid, nor too weak.” Keep an open mind and a sense of humor and everything will take care of itself.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 04:09 AM
link   
It comes down to this, either all the UFO sightings, Roswell, Rendlesham Forest/RAF Bentwaters-Woodbridge UFO Incidents, and every other incident are all rubbish and there are a lot of us that are a little off our rockers or??

Or they and I mean by they all the powers that be know a whole hell of a lot more than we can get out of them.

You see if they are real then the imprecations are truly massive.

Because the USA government say they don’t exist. That means they are hiding the truth and if that is true it is costing a very great deal. Meaning that this truth they are hiding is very important, at least to them.

So hell yes I want the truth but I really do fear that most couldn’t handle it. So you can only tell me.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 04:10 AM
link   
It comes down to this, either all the UFO sightings, Roswell, Rendlesham Forest/RAF Bentwaters-Woodbridge UFO Incidents, and every other incident are all rubbish and there are a lot of us that are a little off our rockers or??

Or they and I mean by they all the powers that be know a whole hell of a lot more than we can get out of them.

You see if they are real then the imprecations are truly massive.

Because the USA government say they don’t exist. That means they are hiding the truth and if that is true it is costing a very great deal. Meaning that this truth they are hiding is very important, at least to them.

So hell yes I want the truth but I really do fear that most couldn’t handle it. So you can only tell me.

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I like the researching ancient texts. It sorts of follows on from your sighting, you look for evidence in the past of human beings seeing these things. It's sort of when you get to the third encounter that it all gos out the window and the rational becomes something like they really haven't got a clue what's going on no matter what they tell you and educate you with

posted on Jul, 4 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by MAC269

Because the USA government say they don’t exist. That means they are hiding the truth and if that is true it is costing a very great deal.

It sort of reminds me of the way the Nazis lied to the Jews about the gas chambers, infact they did a better job of hiding that reality than the government does of hiding the ufos.

cdi

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by ufoorbhunter

contrary to what the british establishment states 'no defence significance'
which interprets to me as 'we cannot catch them, their frequency does not alarm the public so try and ignore this as much as you can.' their offical line and the reality of their knowledge and possible interaction remains to be seen.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by ufoorbhunter

Dear cdi

These things fly over and have on occasions interacted with Nuclear facilities.

Now that is a big deal.

That being the case you think that that any Government would just ignore such a thing let alone the paranoid US Government???

Like I said they know about what is going on.

Or there is nothing going on and we are all a little bit mad.

But this thread is supposed to be about how one feels after seeing a sighting.

In my case I was simply curious at the time but now I am pissed because I know one thing for certain.

They are lying.

I think they are doing an incredible job of lying as it would seam that there is so much going on and we have no real answers to what it is.

The question is why???

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 11:55 PM
link   
My advice?

* Do you're own research and be prepared to truly accept what is found, (if you're truly brave enough and have the will). That's how discoveries are made.

* If you've only got one life on this place you might as well live it for yourself, not necessarily what you've been indoctrinated/programmed to do and think.

* Pay far more attention to experimental observations, not 'theories'. It really sucks having to un-learn some things.

* Oh yeah, don't expect truth and knowledge to be handed to you on a silver platter.

cdi

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by MAC269

hi mac269
the official line and the true reality of this situation are many miles apart. with regards to sightings around nuclear facilities, i can confirm this due to the fact i live in an area that a number of reactors are situated. i have seen these myself. the first time i reported to bufora/jenny randles. i was 11/12 yrs old at the time. since then i have seen them a number of times as well as other locations. the grand question why? with regards to the government line on the matter, have you considered that the visitors/observers whatever you want to call them are vastly superior in either firepower/technology/intelligence so as to create an uncomfortable standoff. it may be an entente cordial (spelling)
mutual backscratching or simply they are concerned and curious. whatever you see this thing i ask you not to get angry. no good will come of this.
regards cdi

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by cdi

Dear cdi

To me logic dictates that because these things have taken an interest in these sensitive sites that the authorities must protect at all cost. The said authorities must have researched what it is all about so they know.

Therefore it’s a secret. Possibly the biggest secret ever kept. At enormous cost. I mean a cost that would make the mind boggle.

I feel that the idea they, ok they know but they can’t stop it so they have to ignore it really doesn’t do it for me.

As it would seam that people have been killed to protect this secret and probably a lot more that we think.

This bothered me for a long time, I just couldn’t think of a reason to keep this secret at this sort of cost in our time, back in 1947 was another matter.

If these things are real then that means there are two different realities in this world today.

One where we charge into orbit using 1950 tech and one that uses antigravity tech but this is the secret one. NASA is a mere PR front.

As I said I flip flop the whole think is mind blowing.

Despite the nut jobs that come on ATS claming to have seen the future for what ever reason I do feel that we will all know in a few years. But this will not come form disclosure from the authorities.

cdi

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by MAC269

hi mac269
Before i reply i must interject and offer my apologies to saturnfx. it seems we have veered from the original point of this thread. i hope you have not abandoned this one!
now then, i accept that you have valid arguments within the reply. a kind of duality of super tech and conventional steam power! the why is a baiting question in itself and i usually forgo this consideration as i feel the experience of witnessing such events is good enough for me. with regards to supposed asassinations and people vanishing for getting too close, i feel that this is an area outside of my remit as well and can only offer hypertheticals. if anything is unduly insidious i am sure it will come to light over the course of time. the whole subject in my opinion is gaining momentum and i feel that events will converge in due course. i do not know if you have had contact in any way but it would be interesting to gauge your knowledge of such things. by this i mean have you experienced anything of this type? i feel that you may be anxious in some way with regards to this subject.
regards cdi

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join