It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tesco refuse to serve Ice without I.D!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Today i was in work and sent one the staff members to pick up a couple of bags of ice for the bar since our ice machine was broken.

He was gone a while and wondered where he had been.

He eventually turned up looking very unhappy carrying two bags of ice. I asked him what had happened and he told me Tescos had ID'd him for the bags of ice.

Despite the fact that he is six feet tall, a father of a child and was wearing his works uniform, they asked him to produce ID otherwise he couldn't purchase the ice.

He asked to speak to the manager who eventually told him 'oh i'll let you off this time, but next time bring ID!, but it's store policy'...

What on this green earth is happening? Why would anyone need to produce ID for frozen water?

I tell you if that would have been me in the store, i would still be there now arguing with the manager.

Can anyone possibly elaborate on this?

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Are you sure they were making the ice out of water?

Some convenience stores are required to ID for unusual purchases or large purchases. The grunt behind the counter was probably just following policy and asked for ID on the Ice.

OR what is more likely, the dude went and did something shady or visited a girlfriend or something and didn't want to be busted for taking so long and made up a total bs story about being carded for Ice.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 02:44 AM
link   
ICE the deadly new weapon of teenage gangs everywhere.

They have been maliciously putting Ice down peoples pants and shirt. Some have even reported having ice thrown into their coffees.

If you see a kid with ICE beware, do not attempt to confiscate the ice yourself. Maintain a safe distance and call the authorities.

ICE abuse is on the rise be ready to do your part!

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 05:10 AM
link   
The lagal age for buying alchohol is 18 in the UK.

Tesco says you have to look 25 or produce ID.

My daughter is 27 but looks younger so she was asked for ID.

So, My 27 year old daughter can't buy alchohol even though it is obvious she is over 18.

Pathetic.....

I have switched to ASDA now.:bnghd:

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 05:47 AM
link   
If you apply the logic that ID was required to buy ice for alcohol, which is a huge assumption, than the same logic could be applied to buying juice or soda...
"We can't sell you that without ID, you just might mix it with alcohol."
That is just ridiculous.
Power tripping people.Well now you know to take your business elsewhere, tell all that you know, and put them out of business.
Yep, I'm just spiteful enough to do that.
So what is next huh? A chip with all your health info on it?
"Sorry, but you have high cholesterol, we can't sell you this cheeseburger."
Crazy asinine BS.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by jon1

So, My 27 year old daughter can't buy alchohol even though it is obvious she is over 18.

Pathetic.....

I have switched to ASDA now.:bnghd:

In many states in the U.S.A (especially Minnesota) the liqour stores are required to I.D. any one who looks under the age of 40; and minors are not even allowed to step foot in the door at all. Also it is Minnesota state law that if a group of people walk into the liqour store and only one person buys alcohol, the whole group still needs to be I.D'd.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Something still tells me that the dude is BSing about the ID issue. I think that he went and did something else for a while and made up the ice ID thing just to cover his behind.

It just doesn't sound plausible. Perhaps a follow up call to the convenience store he went to to see if they routinely ID for ice is in order.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
No trust here... he's a hard worker and actually a jobsworth, not a bad bone in his body...

He worked as a volunteer for the place of work for two years just to secure a position, so i doubt he'll be skiving off...

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

Is Tesco a liquor store? The local management may have required everyone in the store to be checked for IDs. I worked at one store that required everyone in the store to be over 21. Everyone had to have an ID or they were asked to leave. The fines for selling to someone who is underage or without an ID was very high, for both the seller and the store. (They needed an ID regardless of what they were going to purchase.)

I would rather someone get upset when I carded them than have to pay a fine or lose my job. If they get upset, they'll get over it.

Edited to add

[edit on 6/26/2009 by kidflash2008]

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by kidflash2008

No Tesco is a supermarket that sells everything from blankets, kettles, groceries, ice and shoes to liquor and the like...

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

King lizard, I notice that many yanks do not bother to read the all of what you have to say or fail to notice your the you clearly give your location...

On behalf of the subjects of the American Federal Empire, My apologies,

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by jon1

That's just to cover their backs from new rules about the person who serves it to anyone underage being fined, as well as the place that sold it. If you tell the employees to ID anyone they think might be under 25 then you have more chance of not getting your hands burned when they accidentally sell to someone who they thought looked 19 but was in fact 17.

As for the ice, I can't imagine any possible reason for needing ID for that. It's just water.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Yeah that would have really pissed me off! It's ICE for heavens sake! I remember being carded for a lighter once and on another occasion for rear view mirror glue!

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I've noticed some weirdness in the Teco I go to lately... it's just round the corner from my friends house, so I usually pick up beers from there on the way, I've been asked for ID in there 5 times now - which is cool, usually makes me chuckle and I've always got my drivers licence in my wallet. Thing is I'm 32, 5'10", got a full beard (I know that's neither here nor there), covered in tattoos - neck and hands too and clearly look over 25 and nowhere near 18, I'm even greying a little at the temples, crazy! I'll take it as a compliment... if I was buying ice, I'd definitely want to speak to the manager.

It's a small complaint I can see both sides of the argument, but one of the customer service guys in there wouldn't let another friend pay for anything because he hadn't signed the back of his card, even though he was using the PIN number...

As an aside, I consistently get really, really terrible service from the Tesco in Manchester city centre... 3 girls on the cigarette/lottery kiosk stood round talking, 1 serving and a massive queue! I worked for them when I was a student and as far as jobs go, it pretty much stank, but that was damn rude of them.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Then I would have said, ok I'll just buy my Ice elsewhere, then call your boss about it and ask if this is true. But then again, any business that is stupid enough to card people for buying ice obviously doesn't care. I've known stores that won't serve you if you look like you can't afford the clothing. This was some crappy clothing store in chicago that sold ugly overpriced ghettoish apparal. But then again, I wasn't going to buy anything anyway, just was checking it out because it was a new place. Oh well, they are out of business. Gee, wonder why.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   
You control people through Food Stores, they'll want to know who's buying what and for what purpose. The same rules apply during "Price Wars" where one shop will have sale items on and so everyone out of one village goes there while the other shop restocks and takes count.
People depend on food and supplies, destroying community shops and building these superstores only makes the NWO plans of population control that much easier.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Hehe I went to the Co-op once with a mate to get some beer, and we both got a bottle of Scrumpy cider, i was 23 at the time and my mate was 26, I got throught the checkout no problem, he got asked for ID, he had a little grumble, but got through no problem. We then went to the fag counter, this was when the legal age for buying fags was 16, not 18 like it is now, I bought some baccy no problem, Des asked for a packet of ciggy papers, got asked for ID, he hit the roof, LMAO. I still chuckle about this to this day. Can't say i've ever heard of anyone getting ID'd for ice though, what were they made of? vodaka?

top topics

join