It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Michael Moore Film Bashing Bush is Blocked from Distribution

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 07:32 AM
link   
WASHINGTON - The new Michael Moore film, "Fahrenheit 911", is being blocked from distribution by Mirimax's parent company, The Walt Disney Company. The film makes a serious attempt to link the Bush administration with prominent Saudis and sharply criticizes Bush for his actions prior to the September 11th attacks.

New York Times Disney, which bought Miramax more than a decade ago, has a contractual agreement with the Miramax principals, Bob and Harvey Weinstein, allowing it to prevent the company from distributing films under certain circumstances, like an excessive budget or an NC-17 rating. Executives at Miramax, who became principal investors in Mr. Moore's project last spring, do not believe that this is one of those cases, people involved in the production of the film said. If a compromise is not reached, these people said, the matter could go to mediation, though neither side is said to want to travel that route. More News Disney blocks Michael Moore documentary Michael Moore's follow-up to Bowling for Columbine ,Fahrenheit 911 , is causing a storm of controversy weeks before its premiere in Cannes. Disney chiefs are moving to ban their subsidiary Miramax from distributing the film in North America, and despite ongoing negotiations have indicated that they are unwilling to budge an inch. Disney 'blocks' Moore documentary But Disney has "officially decided to prohibit" Miramax from distributing the film, the director said on his website. www.michaelmoore.com Yesterday I was told that Disney, the studio that owns Miramax, has officially decided to prohibit our producer, Miramax, from distributing my new film, "Fahrenheit 9/11." The reason? According to today's (May 5) New York Times, it might "endanger" millions of dollars of tax breaks Disney receives from the state of Florida because the film will "anger" the Governor of Florida, Jeb Bush. The story is on page one of the Times and you can read it here ( Disney Forbidding Distribution of Film That Criticizes Bush ). Now... I'm certainly no fan of this ultraliberal shockumentary film maker, but this certainly has some very startling undertones given Moore's statement on his website. [Edited on 5-5-2004 by SkepticOverlord] [Edited on 5-5-2004 by Valhall] [Edited on 5-5-2004 by Valhall] [Edited on 6-5-2004 by John bull 1] [Edited on 6-5-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Sounds like Disney is just protecting it's interests. Also sounds like they waited too long. If they had squashed funding before the film was nearly finished, the outrage would have been mitigated. As it is now, they have made thier political statement with hope of saving face in Floria. The film will undoubtedly be released regardless of Disney's manuevering. Too late! The republican attack machine will surely not stop at Moore and Mirimax.

The other result of Disney's questionable leagal move: greater attention to the film when it is eventually released.

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 08:19 AM
link   
A dark day.

Even by Disney's standards, this is a cynical and shortsighted move. One can only be comforted by the fact that Moore has never been shy about self-publicity - one way or another, this film will be seen, and, as scottsquared observed, it'll be the subject of much more scrutiny than it would have been otherwise.

Now, I'm off to plan my Disney boycott...

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 08:40 AM
link   
maybe his new work is of the same calibre as his last effort .
If he mentions individuals , he better back up what he says or they could sue for libel .
this would seem like a good reason to pull a movie ,they had already paid for .

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 08:42 AM
link   
According to today's (May 5) New York Times, it might "endanger" millions of dollars of tax breaks Disney receives from the state of Florida because the film will "anger" the Governor of Florida, Jeb Bush.

I haven't even had coffee yet this morning and I have high blood pressure now. I've been waiting for this movie for year. When is this censorship going to end?

Can we have a memorial for all the canned and censored projects by the so-called liberal media?

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 08:50 AM
link   
why are you even debating this the usa is a free democracy with free speach enshrined in your constitution wake up there is stuff in this film that will destroy the bush family and good riddance i say let them try to censor it will finally wake up america to their nazi government if it comes out before there plans are finished they could crumble watching with un ease this could be your last chance america stand up and be counted

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 08:54 AM
link   
The new AXIS OF EVIL in my book:

Disney, Sinclair Broadcasting and Clear Channel.

When did the FCC add an 11th Commandment anyway?

Thou shalt not question the Bush.

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 09:03 AM
link   
What is this country coming to?

So Disney is covering their asses on this one? Im not entirely sure thats the case, only part of it. Anyways this can only help Michael Moore since all this controversy will only make people more curious about the film.

It will eventually get released sooner or later.

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 09:06 AM
link   
I'm curious as to the real story. Is MM stirring the pot to get more media attention for his movie?
Hard to believe Disney, who is open-minded enough to have an annual Gay Day weekend at Disney Land and Disney World is worried about offending the Bushes.

Seems like the only folks would would see a MM movie would be unlikely to vote for Bush anyway. JMO

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I can't believe that anyone would try and defend this!!!

This was so obviously going to happen, they made sure Moore thought he was in the clear and then at the last moment pull the plug.

I'm sure we'll get to see it after the election, by which time the intent of the film will be lost.

No, I never saw this one coming at all.

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Ask Mel Gibson if he would like to back the venture

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Moore should just release it to the internet. That way at least people would be able to see it before November.

dom

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Well, according to the BBC...

news.bbc.co.uk...
"...Zenia Mucha, a Disney spokesman, said: "We advised both [Moore's] agent and Miramax in May of 2003 that the film would not be distributed. That decision stands." "

So it's not particularly out of the blue. That said, it's a sad day when a corporation decides that it can't publish a film that's to the left of central politics due to financial ramifications.

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by negativenihil
Moore should just release it to the internet. That way at least people would be able to see it before November.

Unfortunately Moore doesn't have a say in where, when or how his films are released, that's down to the production company.

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 10:08 AM
link   
And I doubt he's so passionate about getting the word out about Bush that he'd say goodbye to precious millions to be made with a theatre release of the film.

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Clear Channel is part of the NWO, they want us all to be engulfed by Tellytubbies an prices right remakes, we must not give in to their diabolical scheme to poison our mind with useless info, these people wont be happy untill everyone isnt doing a @┤� thing for themselves!

Dont listen to the New Age Dick Dastardly!

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by parrhesia
And I doubt he's so passionate about getting the word out about Bush that he'd say goodbye to precious millions to be made with a theatre release of the film.

*yawn*

Personal feelings about Moore should not come into this, I'm not his biggest fan either. But he has absolutely no say in what the production company does with his movie, he doesn't own it.

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I really don't understand the 'outrage' and 'uproar' over this.....I mean geez, MMoore can simply to what Mel Gibson did and find a financial backer?
I'm sure that George Soros would front a mil or so to help out MMoore.

MMoore is not and has not been the only one to have someone turn them down for distribution of a 'product'...many have books, movies, and records turned down....do what they do, find a backer. MMoore shouln't have no problem getting someone to financially back the distribution of this.

Personally, this all smells of a media set-up so as to build hype and demand to see this documentary...well done, I say.

seekerof

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 10:39 AM
link   
HMM...freedom of speech... Come On!

Feels like some people are intimidated of the overdone story Moore has produced this time. Overdone maybe, but getting closer to reality, than the present story that's bound for the history of the mainstream.

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I believe that Disney is simply trying to avoid political issues. Disney's involvement in such areas were considered by it's board members and stock holders as veering away from it's traditional entertainment offferings. Since the recent shakeup over Eisner, we might expect Disney to shy away from hot issues more and more.

As a personal comment... I finally watched "Bowling for Columbine" to see what all the controversy was about. I could not consider it to be a true docmentary except for the fact that it did present some historical facts here and there. Unfortunately, those few facts were wrapped in his own personal beliefs, suspicions and accusations which made up the bulk of the film. That's not what documentaries are about. In this case, it was more of an op-ed piece rendered in video. I suspect that ""Fahrenheit 911" will be much the same although Moore calls it a "comedy".

As a last note, I'm thankful the copy of "Bowling.." I viewed was just a bootleg copy downloaded off the Net because it certainly wasn't worth paying for.
Perhaps Moore's next work will deal with illegal file sharing.

[Edited on 5-5-2004 by Outland]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join