It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Off-duty officer shoots 2 in lot after Angels game

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

IMO, I think any anger and disgust should be directed at the thugs who made the rational choice to assualt a man with his family. How completely screwed up are they? They should be kept off the streets - because you know what - they would probably do the same thing to you if they opprotunity arose. Thugs do not care about anyone but themselves. They are a danger to soceity - and that includes every single person posting on this thread and reading it.

And no wonder this off duty cop was carying and ready....

The shooting was one of three major violent incidents at Southern California ballparks this season. A man died two days after getting into a fight on opening day at Angel Stadium in April, and another man was stabbed multiple times at Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles after that team's home opener but survived.

abcnews.go.com...

It really does NOT seem safe to attend any games in the LA area.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
Just another sensationalized thread so all the cop haters can come and bash.... don't worry, it'll grow old in a few days and we'll move on to something else.

He had every right to defend himself and his family.

BY SHOOTING somebody?

Is this what your backwards country is coming to?

'Hey that guy just threw something at me...'

'OMG shoot him'

[snip]

Mod Note: General ATS Discussion Etiquette – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 25-6-2009 by mrwupy]

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Police...aka modern day gestapo have no limits anymore to what they can or can't do...

Luckily no-one died in this case which is rare because cops are known to shoot and kill most of the time.

But frankly, the police throughout this country are on a constant power trip...people forget all the time that cops are just some guy in a uniform... Nothing more...

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Further information:

Obviously the off duty police officer was unlawful.

• No weapons are allowed inside Angel Stadium of Anaheim.

losangeles.angels.mlb.com...

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 10:00 AM
link   
sounds legit to me. If my kids were there they would have bullets in the brains, end of story. I dont see how people make a big deal of this, and how you can defend a bunch of drunk criminals.

Pulling at straws in an attempt to demonize police in the public eye is... fearmongering and disinformation. Go back to your gov. office.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Kevin_X2

If they were you're kids you wouldnt have been allowed to arm yourself.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   

reply to post by Nutter

I don't know all the state laws, but I would hope that in most states you have the right to defend yourself, your family and personal property if you feel your life may be in danger.

That being said we do have a messed up legal system, so who knows.

I agree with you, but look at the link I posted from the Angels Stadium Security.

It specifically states that NO weapons of any kind are allowed. Therefore the policeman was unlawfull. Defending his family or not.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Nutter

Do we know if being a Policman overrides that rule? Even though it's posted, the law stating that he may carry or is required to carry, may make him exempt.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by AceOfAces
Police...aka modern day gestapo have no limits anymore to what they can or can't do...

Luckily no-one died in this case which is rare because cops are known to shoot and kill most of the time.

But frankly, the police throughout this country are on a constant power trip...people forget all the time that cops are just some guy in a uniform... Nothing more...

Not sure how this being a cop has anything to do with anything.

In Colorado - there is a CWL - and you can shoot in defense if you feel there is imminent danger. Obviously this cop felt this way. If you can prove otherwise that this cop was shoot happy and was drooling at the mouth hoping to shoot and kill the thug, I will recount my opinions of this.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Nutter

As a Police Officer the regulations of "Private Security Firms" do not apply..

I can carry anywhere in the United States.

The only exceptions are those regulated by the Federal Government.

ie. Airplanes, Airports, Nuclear Facilities, Some other Federal buildings etc

Semper

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

Police officers are exempt from the no-carry rule in ALL cases EXCEPT, federally protected buildings and other appointed areas. Baseball stadiums are not one of those.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   

reply to post by Nutter

Do we know if being a Policman overrides that rule? Even though it's posted, the law stating that he may carry or is required to carry, may make him exempt.

Being off duty means he can't carry. If he was on-duty, then yes he could carry. But he was off-duty.

Here is an e-mail someone recieved from Anneheim themselves.

Quote:
Subject: RE: Security question about Anaheim Stadium

Thank you for taking the time to write to Angels Baseball.

We have checked with the Anaheim Police Department who have told us that absolutely no one can bring any weapons but APD, or ON-DUTY law enforcement who is attached to APD i.e. - Secret Service.

We know that this is a sensitive issue but the policy is very clear and we hope this doesn't deter you and your group from enjoying a spring day or evening at the ballpark!

We hope this answers your question and if you have any other questions or comments, please feel free to write again.

Regards,
Angels Baseball

I got that from another thread.

www.calccw.com...

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by alyosha1981
I gonna go with the facts we have for now, but even so he still had other options besides to shoot.

WONDERFUL, we have an eyewitness to the scene! That is the only way you could both stick to the facts and claim he had other options. You must have been there if you know his options were numerous.

If you want to stick to the facts, then stick to them.

You know a man with his family was attacked and you know he shot them in the altercation. That is what you know. You know he is an off duty cop, and you know it happened at a baseball game. That is what you know, and probably all you know.

All I know is if I was carrying, got hit in the head with some sort of item causing a head wound, and saw two men coming at me and my family, my children, I wouldn't second guess myself when I decided to shoot them.

Now if the guys were running away and he shot them, then by all means, lock the guy up. But if the two men who were shot were not running away, or just standing there idle after throwing the bottle, force was warranted.

You have just been attacked, hit in the head. Two men are coming toward you, assuming they aren't standing there idle or running away. That is an incredibly pressuring and dangerous situation, especially with your family there.

Further more, I would find it hard to believe that he would have shot them if they were just standing there idle or running away. If he were capable of doing that, he would have done it on the job already, where he was more likely to get away with it.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis
reply to post by Nutter

As a Police Officer the regulations of "Private Security Firms" do not apply..

I can carry anywhere in the United States.

The only exceptions are those regulated by the Federal Government.

ie. Airplanes, Airports, Nuclear Facilities, Some other Federal buildings etc

Semper

According to the Stadium itself, you would be unlawfull by carrying if you are off-duty.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by djvexd
reply to post by elevatedone

Police officers are exempt from the no-carry rule in ALL cases EXCEPT, federally protected buildings and other appointed areas. Baseball stadiums are not one of those.

Please see the e-mail from the Angels themselves. Thanks.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   
excuse me, but.... you all focusing on a legal technicality in a weak attempt to demonize a man who did nothing but defend his children and wife. Are people that anti-government and paranoid?

you know, the police force is made up of everyday citizens.

All i hear from this thread is "oh the officer should have tried to disarm the two men with his hands before being clobbered to death and having his kids kidnapped and raped and his wife killed on the spot. God-damn police so corrupt grrrrr."

did it occur to anyone that the officer in question never took out his pistol during or after the game in an attempt to aggrivate an assault? he was attacked, and damn lucky that he aveted one little law (like your all so snipping perfect that you have never broken a law)

get a life, and a gun wile your at it

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Nutter

He should serve time for breaking that law then. Probably illegal possession of a fire arm.

But as the old saying goes, I'd rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kevin_X2
sounds legit to me. If my kids were there they would have bullets in the brains, end of story. I dont see how people make a big deal of this, and how you can defend a bunch of drunk criminals.

Pulling at straws in an attempt to demonize police in the public eye is... fearmongering and disinformation. Go back to your gov. office.

So by putting a bullet in the head of someone who got a bit rowdy at a game makes you 'uncriminal'.

Jeez, what a country you have... Makes me suprised you've not all shot each other already.

As Chris Morris once so brilliantly put it 'how long before conversations between mother and daughter are held at gun point'

Perfectly satiring the state of America eh?

link   
reply to post by Nutter

Sounds like as long as you're APD you can carry in the stadium. If you are not APD then you have to be both working with them and on-duty.

That's how it's worded.

link   
Guys!!!

Private Security Companies Can Not Make Laws...

It is NOT a law..

The Officer was perfectly correct in carrying

Semper

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join