It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Panic begins as Hospitals struggling already

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 04:09 AM
link   
reply to post by alien

Well guys, hold on. I wish you all the best. But i do not understand - regular flu seasons are not like this or staff is getting vaccines? I never heard that this flu has higher infectious rate then "usual" versions, so it should be like this in every flu outbreak.
And personally i am very uneasy about stronger autumn/winter waves. Not because it mutates - it can mutate for worse or better - but because of stronger mass hysteria. It would easily drown the hospitals in waves of fake patients that would be then infected by real patients.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 04:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by alien
The last thing we want is for people to rock up with SwineFlu, sit around with other people in waiting rooms spreading it to all and sundry...but the reality is that many people are either too carefree, or don't feel they have it, just don't give a rats or a million other reasons and still keep a crowding right in there...

i imagine it must be terribly frustrating. i suppose it really comes down to fear making people behave stupidly.

keep up the good work, i really hope your team is back up to strength asap and that, although it's difficult now, they gain some immunity by being sick. it's a brave thing you're all doing.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 05:48 AM
link   
I think theres a number of factors going here right now.

Presently we're in the Cold/Flu season of Winter anyway...and with the current caution/hype/whatever regarding the Swine Flu I think many people and many businesses are looking sideways at anyone who barely coughs.

I've had a few calls from friends who have Cold/Flu-like symptoms, asking me if I think they might have Swine Flu...my usual response is "Dude, I'm a psych nurse, go ask someone medical, call me back when your hearing voices or something".

Last year we had a few of the Team off occasionally with bad colds or flu...but generally the order of the day was unless you were totally laid up on bed near death with it you just hardened up, got your butt to work, and kept on doing your job.

Nowadays however the *orders from above* are that if you have any symptoms you stay home and get yourself checked out then once cleared you can return.

Though in comparison to the last 4-odd years I've been in this Team, this Swine Flu seems to have bounced a lot quicker from Team Member to Team Member that any other ordinary ol' flu did.
Perhaps thats due to it being a new thing...and also perhaps due to our Hospital giving free flu vaccinations each year to those Staff want them.

But yeah - from what we've seen so far in our team, Swines DO fly...

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Monday update:

Arrived to work this morning. Our morning Team Meeting comprised of 11 operational Staff from a full team of 32.

2 are due back tomorrow, 2 more on Wednesday, so we'll be up to 15 operational (still less that half our normal complement) on Wednesday.

Directives from our Service Leaders are that there are to be NO home visits outside of Crisis Acutes. What few hands we have on deck are to remain on deck and only head out when necessary.

That to me seems to be completely contradictory to our core service...how can we provide a Community Service to clients if we are unable to actually venture into the community.

Effectively now all we can do until we are receive further directive is to remain on base and only respond when the shyte completely hits the fan. In those instances our response would simply be to see the person, assess and Section them to an Inpatient Ward.

Really feel for our clients, as many of them are shakey enough and struggling enough to cope without now basically being 'left in the cold' until they crash so much we have to jack them back into the Wards.

...again, for me its not about any hype around mortality...its about the overall impact its having on the wellness, wellbeing and recovery of our clients.

Peace.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   
in UK - And now to further overload the hospitals we are experiencing a heatwave. On BBC news now they are saying worst in the Midlands and expecting a lot of sunstroke, dehydration cases and of course with heat the pollution builds up faster too further exacerbating people with 'underlying conditions' of a respiratory nature.
Set to last for a few days yet and getting hotter.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 07:56 AM
link   
John B-

we hada heat wave here in the states last week- 90+ degrees plus humidity, making heat inices of 115+

Mant people took ill and died. There is simpl no way to discern if the deaths were due to heat or to flu- and that is critical in a city of 3 M in its core and 10M including suburbs.

Heart and lung failure are hallmarks of heat stroke and of flu- and of the poor who are manouished.

Most Chicago hospitals are full; non-essential surgeries have been cancelled (even at the wealthiest suburban hospitals in the suburbs); one can't enter a hospital without screening.

We have rapid srep tests; rapid pregnancy tests- I worked on a rapid Anthrax test-we have the sequence- why can't we make a rapid flu test- that will id the strain in 3 minutes, so we can put people in isolation, on vents, etc., and not panic about those for whom a minor bout rhitis or seasonal fu is a small price to pay for being a first responed?

The clinicians would remain well, and the people who are truly ill will have a better survival rate!

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by CultureD

CutureD

Yes I agree, the point I have been trying to make is that it's NOT just the deaths caused by H1N1 Swine flu directly but all the deaths that can be attributed to the knock-on effects as many people have pointed out above for all the various reasons.
Hospital staff ill,
More flu patients increasing the strain on an often already overloaded service,
Heat waves bring in yet more patients,

and this in turn causes more cross infection and secondary illnesses.

On a different vein, spoke to of my customers today who said had the flu - both reported being absolutely floored by it for a week or so and still 3 weeks later still have a niggly cough and also a friends children were sent home as pupils at their school have the flu. School closed now (only 2 weeks to summer breakanyway).
Also more people seem to be talking about it again as more and more people have had/got it.
I live Bournemouth,UK (South Coast) and friend in Leicester,UK (Midlands)

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by johnb

Wow talk about mass hallucination/hysteria. What a bunch of goobers. Lol
"OH MY, I am sneezing must be the swine flu...boohooo..."
Get a life for cripe's sake. Are people really this dumb?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join