It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Burger King's Super Seven Incher ad: Subtlety is dead

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Burger King has always had really cheesy/raunchy advertisements.

Even their slogan, "have it your way"?

[edit on 25-6-2009 by Donnie Darko]

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 05:41 AM
link   
No silo there is no subtlety left in advertizing.

Obviously, some don't have enough mental depth to grasp the benefits of subtlety, but that's a subject for another thread.

Pavlovs dogs were sophisticated by comparison.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Yeah lately their ads have becoming a little much. I posted in BTS about their new fragrance ad, yeah a fragrance that smells like a whopper. I am not kidding either. BK is getting out of hand with their advertisements. They are using sex to sell burgers and I dont agree. I know sex sells but come on it's a fast food joint! I cant believe parents arent freaking over the latest set of ads.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   
the mountains of sexual distractions are rising and rising.
the next couple years .. you're going to find yourself drowning in a culture completely distracted from real ongoings with party party.. sexy sexy.. drinky drinky.. scary news.. video games... twitter every freaking thing you do...
mindlessly overwhelming you in a sea of useless information.

unplug the TV.

get filters for certain things to not show up on your google searches.

lessen the distractions as much as you can.

worship truth.

STUDY GNOSTICISMMMMMMM

TRANSFORM! (seriously... transform...)

yesss tadpoles. you CAN turn into mighty frogs.

no really you can.

-

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Pavlov's dogs were sophisticated by comparison.

Ohhh BadgerBritches... Only one problem with that. I haven't had a burger in over what 9 years.
I DROOL at Burger King adds! Oh Hypocritical me!

Nikluver Thanks for clearing up that U2U for me!
And I can’t believe what you’re saying - (but I do) - perfume of the Whopper? Oh how gross is that!!!
I tried dating a guy (once) that worked here at a place that served fries.
Couldn't get the stink out’a his clothes or hair for nothing.
Ga-ross!

Revenge I should really answer your post separately.
In fact I will...
Be back later...
Thanks.

peace

[edit on 25-6-2009 by silo13]

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by prevenge
unplug the TV.

get filters for certain things to not show up on your google searches.

lessen the distractions as much as you can.

Why should one have to cower away in a corner to not be swayed about to and fro by the distractions? I can indulge in a few things here and there without it being a problem.

worship truth.

Me no worshippy nothing.

STUDY GNOSTICISMMMMMMM

TRANSFORM! (seriously... transform...)

Mrph. Why limit yourself to that? But I get where you're going there. More of our lives must be dedicated to spiritual growth rather than material acquisition or basic sensory gluttony.

yesss tadpoles. you CAN turn into mighty frogs.

no really you can.

With BK saucy frog legs?

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Whopper Virgins

Burger King's new ad campaign is a series of commercials depicting a taste test between the Whopper and the Big Mac. The twist here is that the taste testers are blessed souls living in areas so remote that they've never even soiled their intestines with Burger King!

You’ve got to be kidding me...

Just when I thought it was safe to go back through the drive-thru...

See Original Film Here

Whopper Virgins are real people...

How can this be real... I mean it’s not a parody??? (My first reaction)...

No, it isn't...

Spend millions of dollars to go around doing *taste testing* on people in nations where to populace is impoverished and dying of hunger...

This whole Burger King thing isn't a joke anymore...

That’s just sick

Spend millions of dollars to take burgers to starving countries to taste test which burger is better to then return to American so the obese sheep can make culinary decisions on the backs of the taste buds of the starving...

The Nation is doomed for real folks. Their way...

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

People in those countries are not starving because of Burger King, so to blame Burger King for their "tasteless" taste test experiment is just more of the political correctness that leads to things like this being censored.

I'm of the opinion that no joke is too cruel or insensitive. It's just a joke. They're words and pictures. The only way they can hurt you is if you let them, and if you let them, that's your own fault.

I don't like that people in other countries are starving, but joking about it doesn't make them worse off. Lets focus on the power-hungry individuals responsible for their starvation rather than a fast-food joint who jokes about it.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by paperplanes
I understand the point of applying a dose of sex to advertising for bars, clubs, trendy "see and be seen" dining spots, fashion lines, etc. I fail to see the correlation between fast food and sex. I don't believe anyone thinks, "Oooh, I'm gonna get some tonight!" when they pull up to the take-out window of Burger King. It's just odd and seemingly pointless--the two don't easily correlate in the mind. Am I missing something?

[edit on 25/6/09 by paperplanes]

It has nothing to do with actual sex and actual food. What the ad is doing is a subconscious message where your brain quickly correlates the pleasures of sex, or oral sex in this case, with this new sandwich. It works because the brain works so fast that you don't even realize you already started to think of that 7 inch sub in a positive way. Well, we won't because we have had our eyes opened to this garbage. I have for many many years. It's all over the place. Sex sells and that is NOT a lie.

Now I just wonder if this ad is aimed at mainly men or if it is aimed at women too? Being a man I can see the obvious but how would a woman take this? I guess it depends.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by NovusOrdoMundi

I actually agree with your statement 100%. If people would stop being so sensitive about EVERYTHING and stop linking everything negative to something else this world would be a better off place. I keep trying to help my wife understand this. She is always so concerned when someone walks into a store that they are judging her because she isn't spending hundreds of dollars on shoes or something stupid like that. She thinks they are looking down on her because they are all made up and slim and so on.

I have to try and tell her that it's most likely not that way at all. And if it is why in the hell does she even bother to let it, well, bother her? It makes no sense. It's all up to the individuals involved to ALLOW for this stuff to insult them.

Me, I laugh at it. Is it disgusting? Hell yeah it is. Does it ruin my day? No way. I understand what they are trying to do here. It's pure business. They are pushing their product to make as much money as they can. I can't fault them for it. Is it part of a global elite conspiracy to destroy us peons? I have no flipping clue. LOL I just don't let it bother me. If someone has an opinion about me I will listen to it and then process it. Either I take it in and digest it or I just crap it out and forget it.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

I'm sorry. Believe me, I truly do understand why this is an issue. I feel for those that are less fortunate. However, what do we do? Seriously. Are you going to drop all that you own, donate it all to this just cause of stopping starvation, move to these starving nations, and feed these people with your own hands? Do you want Burger King to stop business and focus on giving their food away?

Why not just stop all business on the planet and just let everyone have whatever they can produce or grow on their own?

I know I'm going to the extreme but it is NOT Burger King's job to feed these people. It IS their job to make money and to make a lot of it. That's what their business is.

It is the job of the country in which those people live to feed them. And, if that fails then it comes down to the nations of the world to try and do what is right and take care of their fellow man.

But to single out a business because they are tasteless and to turn this around on them with the 'hungry people' angle is not going to fly for me. I'm a business major. I understand business.

Now, I bet that if you look at their charitable donations you will probably find that they indeed do give MUCH MORE than the average person or company to good causes. What causes are more important than others? Some may say that hunger is the most important but then others will say that fighting cancer and diseases are. I'm sure you will find that they give tens of millions each year to these causes.

So because they come up with what I find to be an ingenius (and yes, very tasteless) ad campaign, I do not see crucifiying them for it.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I assume its best If I eat one of these I should pull the shades and dim the lights and when Im finished smoke a cigarette????

Ill make sure I wear a wig and sunglasses and have them put it in a brown paper bag when I purchase one...

boyfriends will get jealous when they find wrappers hidden...

kinda funny,,, but is not to good when children like to go there,,,

sorry if I think it funny even though its not....

amy

[edit on 25-6-2009 by amyfriend]

[edit on 25-6-2009 by amyfriend]

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by dariousg
It has nothing to do with actual sex and actual food. What the ad is doing is a subconscious message where your brain quickly correlates the pleasures of sex, or oral sex in this case, with this new sandwich. It works because the brain works so fast that you don't even realize you already started to think of that 7 inch sub in a positive way.

I don't buy that. It may very well be the intention of the advertisers, but that's truly the last effect I would consider. When I look at the ad, I don't "correlate the pleasures of sex with this new sandwich". Not at all. I am instead simultaneously perplexed and vaguely disgusted (not a moral disgust, as this is not particularly offensive to me, but rather a physical distaste). Burger King, and all other fast food chains, remind me of greasy food and the pervading smell that accompanies it. It's an automatic turn-off. So to then add in a bit of sex just makes the entire thing terrible. I love sex and I love food, and certainly the two can be paired for effective advertising--but not when you're selling one of the very least attractive food items from a restaurant that is at the bottom of the barrel of "likely to impress a date" options. Perhaps this ad works if you find this junk to be attractive food. I don't know. I'm just baffled.

Now I just wonder if this ad is aimed at mainly men or if it is aimed at women too? Being a man I can see the obvious but how would a woman take this? I guess it depends.

Maybe it is more effective for men. I'm suspicious of the idea that my befuddlement is due to the fact that I'm a woman, though. I can't see this working for many people, regardless of gender.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by amyfriend
I assume its best If I eat one of these I should pull the shades and dim the lights and when Im finished smoke a cigarette????

boyfriends will get jealous when they find wrappers hidden...

kinda funny,,, but is not to good when children like to go there,,,

sorry if I think it funny even though its not....

amy

I thought it was funny, no worries.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   
It's OK. Our fate has been predicted.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 06:41 PM
link   
the womans blank stare and gaping mouth in the original poster is supposed to be a direct reference to a blow up doll.

do a comparison and you'll understand.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I will no longer be eating at burger butt, though I rarely do anyway. The last few adds from them have just been horrible, and this one "takes the cake"

Talk about corporate society? More like "sexual corporate society"

Harm None
Peace

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Sorry, not sure how to put up a video yet, but here is a link to a carls jr add involving a man dancing around a cow and slapping it on he hiney. I stopped eating at that place too when this add came out.

www.youtube.com... DN%26tab%3Dwv%26um%3D1&feature=player_embedded

Harm None
Peace

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Did you alter the picture for your post?

The original is not quite so suggestive, although it is a suggestive ad.

I believe that Carl's Jr. was the first to introduce the tasteless ads for fast food and created some clamor.

It might be remembered that some of the first BK ads using the plastic-faced king were mildly suggestive of homoerotic tendencies.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   
You do know that it really does go way back farther than this with Burger King...

I might be telling my age with this one but even as kids we laughed at "It takes two hands to handle a whopper". and we still use it for a sophomoric laugh today.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join