It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I wager we do nothing about this

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 08:30 AM
link   
What will become of the two journalists sentenced to twelve years in a hard labor camp?

U.S. urges N. Korea to free two American journalists

english.yonhapnews.co.kr...

Absolutely nothing. I bet a million fictional dollars. Any takers?

What will happen with that North Korean ship we are tracking?

North Korean ship poses challenge for US allies along its route

www.csmonitor.com...

Absolutely nothing. I bet another million fictional dollars. Any takers?

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by jackflap

Since you obviously have all of the answers.... What would you propose that we do?

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

I am glad I do not have to shoulder that responsibility, but if I did my solution would be quick and decisive.

information.usnavyseals.com...

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis

Since you obviously have all of the answers.... What would you propose that we do?

I propose we go the way of the Romans! If a US citizen is harmed or imprisoned illegally, we go get them! It should be unthinkable to harm a citizen of the last remaining Superpower (ok a bankrupt superpower).

If we know there are weapons on that ship, we offer to do things the peaceful way, and then we sink it!

Our military might is useless unless we USE it! We haven't finished a war since WWII. We have no credibility in the world. We are a police force instead of a military!

I think there would be a lot less challenges, and skirmishes, if we started to make some examples of people. I discipline my kids better than the UN does these countries! I tell them once nicely, then I tell them with a firm warning, and on the rare occassion that they don't believe me, I follow up my warning by doing exactly what I warned them I would do! I don't like it, but what good is a warning when everyone knows you won't follow through?!? My kids would run all over the UN and the US!

Granted, they are quite a bit smarter than Kim, Bush, and Congress, but they are still just kids!

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 08:58 AM
link   

I read (from this site), that then recent NK nuke test might have been a trigger mechanism for a larger bomb.

Also, on a link from this site, one author speculated that the 4 nuclear power station complexes in South Korea could be targets, and if hit, would magnify greatly the spread of deadly radiation.

From wikipeadia it is mentioned that south Korea, as a part of its economic growth plans intends to expand the four nuclear power complexes.

During a conflict, the nuclear power stations would have to be shut down, plunging south Korea into darkness.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 09:04 AM
link   
the so called axis of evil are free to do as they like, we have elected a pacifist, non interfering "leader" in the states.

hes not like other presidents, now thats change!

but imagine what if our past presidents were more like B.O.?

why, it might look something like this:

"Mr. Gorbachev, that wall is none of our business." — Ronald Reagan

"December seventh, nineteen forty-one. A date upon which we must ask ourselves, what could we have done to avoid this?" — FDR

"Ask not what you can do for your country, ask what your country can do for you!" — JFK

"If America shows weakness and uncertainty, the world will drift toward tragedy. Pretty sure that's gonna happen on my watch." — G. W. Bush

"Speak softly and eloquently." — Teddy Roosevelt

"You can fool all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time, but you really only need to fool the majority of people until the election is over." — Abraham Lincoln

"To be prepared for war is far too provocative." — George Washington

congratulations to america for embracing 'hope' & 'change'!

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by DohBama

If the US or Israeli forces hit the Iranians and hit them hard, NK could take this as an opportunity to play it's hand.

The US might try to put the DU to them and use precision guided munitions for a surgical strike. But from last fall we saw the Russians pull out some ss20's when faced with a similar prospect in South Ossetia.

The North Koreans could take a similar stance.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
If a US citizen is harmed or imprisoned illegally, we go get them!

illegally imprisoned how? they broke north korean law inside of north korea and were tried by the north korean government. where's the illegality?

It should be unthinkable to harm a citizen of the last remaining Superpower
who's that, china?

If we know there are weapons on that ship, we offer to do things the peaceful way, and then we sink it!
like america knew sadamn had WMD? yeah? how's that working out for ya?

Our military might is useless unless we USE it!
nope, it's an illusion, if you use it it is shown to be an illusion and so it is only useless if used.

We haven't finished a war since WWII. We have no credibility in the world.
as i said, an illusion.

We are a police force instead of a military!
nope, a police forse has some sort af mandate from the people it presumes to police, who mandated the US with being a police force?

I think there would be a lot less challenges, and skirmishes, if we started to make some examples of people. I discipline my kids better than the UN does these countries!
which countries exactly? ones that break UN resolutions? ones that ignore them? ones you don't like?

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   

illegally imprisoned how? they broke north korean law inside of north korea and were tried by the north korean government. where's the illegality?

In this case, you may be correct. I suspect they really were spies, but often times journalists and others are arrested on weak suspicions and we don't stand up for them.

like america knew sadamn had WMD? yeah? how's that working out for ya?

We are talking about a ship, not a country. So if it is not carrying weapons, open up and show us as mandated by the UN Resolution. This very ship was caught with weapons before, and the French wanted to seize it, but the US prevented them from doing so??? It seems we are assisting and propagating the terrorism instead of taking decisive action while we have the chance! Maybe those previous weapons were used in a False Flag somewhere, or at the very least, they were used in a way in which our Shadow Govt approved of!

Our military might is useless unless we USE it!
nope, it's an illusion, if you use it it is shown to be an illusion and so it is only useless if used.

Nope, I still believe our military training and technology are vastly superior to anyone else's in the world. I believe we could move in with overwhelming force and conquer anyone we chose to. We are hamstrung by Political Correctness, Human Rights issues, and internal bickering.

We haven't finished a war since WWII. We have no credibility in the world. "as i said, an illusion."

You have a point here, but I think we created the illusion of doubt around the world. They haven't seen us WIN anything, and now they are bolder!

We are a police force instead of a military!
nope, a police forse has some sort af mandate from the people it presumes to police, who mandated the US with being a police force?

I think we agree here. I don't want us to be a police force, and nobody mandated it, but the UN seems to lean on us for it, and then criticize our methods!

I think there would be a lot less challenges, and skirmishes, if we started to make some examples of people. I discipline my kids better than the UN does these countries!
which countries exactly? ones that break UN resolutions? ones that ignore them? ones you don't like?

Exactly, I think the UN should stand behind their resolutions with force if necessary, or quit issuing them at all! I think we should make examples out of the little instigators that prod us! I think if someone calls for death to the infidels, they should get the battle they were calling for. I think if someone threatens us, we should take the fight to them and finish it. I think when Chavez called for the death of Bush, we should have struck him within 24 hrs. I don't think we should go places that no one invited us, but I think we should respond to threats with overwhelming force, and stay out of local conflicts that don't affect us!

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 10:22 AM
link   
I still do not see anyone wagering their fictional dollars. I stand to lose two million fictional dollars should our current administration actually do something beside crowd pleasing.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by total newbie
reply to post by DohBama

If the US or Israeli forces hit the Iranians and hit them hard, NK could take this as an opportunity to play it's hand.

The US might try to put the DU to them and use precision guided munitions for a surgical strike. But from last fall we saw the Russians pull out some ss20's when faced with a similar prospect in South Ossetia.

The North Koreans could take a similar stance.

yep most of your responses are very accurate

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   

often times journalists and others are arrested on weak suspicions and we don't stand up for them.
them being in NK in the first place is breaking the law. in my book it's a risk they take crossing the border, which isn't easy to do.

We are talking about a ship, not a country.

the point i was making, in my unclear, grumpy kind of way, is that just because you think they may have weapons doesn't mean they do have weapons. you shouldn't just go ahead and sink them.

Nope, I still believe our military training and technology are vastly superior to anyone else's in the world.
yes, but they are pretty irrelevant to fighting a modern war. you can be the best skier in the world and have the best ski's ever made but it won't help you much if you're in a jungle.

I believe we could move in with overwhelming force and conquer anyone we chose to. We are hamstrung by Political Correctness, Human Rights issues, and internal bickering.
meh, doubt it. maybe some tinpot third world country but china, russia, the eu......doubt it.

They haven't seen us WIN anything,

yeah, but it's not like you haven't tried to win stuff.

I don't want us to be a police force, and nobody mandated it, but the UN seems to lean on us for it, and then criticize our methods!
name one time that's happened.

Exactly, I think the UN should stand behind their resolutions with force if necessary,
the UN is a peace keeping and diplomatic organisation, it's not in the business of enforcing anything and nor should it be.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by pieman

A South Korean intelligence official said Monday that his agency believes the North Korean ship is carrying small weapons and is sailing toward the Burmese city of Rangoon. The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity citing the sensitive nature of the information, said he could provide no further details. Burma's military government, which faces an arms embargo from the US and the European Union, reportedly has bought weapons from North Korea in the past.

www.irrawaddy.org...

It's not just small arms. I still believe we will do nothing about it. When it gets to its port we will let them unload and say, "We were just making sure. Bye Bye now good day.". A million fictional dollars says I am right.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   
an unamed source in south korea said they were transporting small arms, well what are we waiting for, nuke the buggers.

c'mon, step back a minute and think about it, a hair trigger nuclear incident risked for what may or may not be some handguns!!!

[edit on 24/6/09 by pieman]

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by pieman

Exactly, I think the UN should stand behind their resolutions with force if necessary,

the UN is a peace keeping and diplomatic organisation, it's not in the business of enforcing anything and nor should it be.

Well how do they propose to keep peace with empty words and no teeth? If someone ignores the sanctions or deports the inspectors, or goes around the checkpoints in place, what does the UN do next?

They can't keep peace this way. Have you ever tried to break up a fight by saying, "Come on guys, stop it, this isn't solving anything, please!" It doesn't work, you have to step in the middle, maybe take a blow or two, while restraining one or both parties! That is a "peacekeeping" mission, and sometimes they get violent.

Again, I don't disagree with a lot of your ideas, but I think MORE action is needed to stem the rising tides of violence around the world. The time for diplomacy and sanctions and empty promises of hope has expired. I do not think we are doing enough in Africa, and I do not think are presence is necessary in Iran, but our government will probably get this backasswards and move on Iran first!

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
right, so you think the UN, as an unelected international body, should have the power to kill people that don't agree with them? you really think that's a smart way to go? think about it.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by pieman

Well then how do we justify the cost of operating a destroyer on a monitoring mission for a few handguns? If that was all there was to it we would leave it alone. Something else is going on and the commander in chief is too busy with all of his prime time television shows to be bothered. Why disrupt his ongoing nationally televised talk shows when things are going so well for him in that regard? Better to make it look like we care at this point.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   
i dunno how you justify it. i suppose you want to stop tanks and missiles and stuff, i dunno. it seems a bit dangerous to sink a boat for the sake there being a slim chance of some handguns being transported to burma.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   

I propose we go the way of the Romans! If a US citizen is harmed or imprisoned illegally, we go get them! It should be unthinkable to harm a citizen of the last remaining Superpower (ok a bankrupt superpower).

Besides the fact that they were imprisoned "legally" according to N Korean law I think the US can be glad that other countries don't see it like you do

Because if other nations that see their citizens imprisoned illegally in US camps, off shore or inland (which has proven to be the case and admitted by officials), would march in and get them with force, this country would be a battle field.

[edit on 24-6-2009 by thegreatobserver]

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by thegreatobserver

Besides the fact that they were imprisoned "legally" according to N Korean law I think the US can be glad that other countries don't see it like you do

Because if other nations that see their citizens imprisoned illegally in US camps, off shore or inland (which has proven to be the case and admitted by officials), would march in and get them with force, this country would be a battle field.

[edit on 24-6-2009 by thegreatobserver]

Excellent Point! I speak as a citizen of the US, and not as a representative of our government! No one should be held without due cause, evidence, and a chance to defend themselves. The US government is doing this to our own citizens, so we need to march into our own country and free some illegal prisoners!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join