It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Carbon Nano Tubes

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stuey1221
how long has the research been going on into these by the way?

History of Nanotubes

[Edited on 6-5-2004 by sardion2000]

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000

Originally posted by Stuey1221
how long has the research been going on into these by the way?

History of Nanotubes

[Edited on 6-5-2004 by sardion2000]

Why thank you good sir
lol

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Wasn't there talk about using this technology for a new version of a bulletproof vest? I searched google but did not find it immediately and I'm at my office right now.

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 10:32 AM
link   
This story talks a bit about the Potential of using nanotubes in armor but I think its still quite a ways away, maybe 5-10 years.

Rice engineers make first pure nanotube fibers

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by titian
Wasn't there talk about using this technology for a new version of a bulletproof vest? I searched google but did not find it immediately and I'm at my office right now.

Wow, look at the pricing for a gram of nanotubes.....
www.carbonsolution.com...

Here is a small article on the Bullet proof vest. This hsould get ya started. It is about 1am here and have work tomorrow, so I hope this gets you started, otn.oracle.com...

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Thanks JCMinJapan. To quote:

Formidable Fiber
Nanotube Threads

The day may come when those in need of such protection can don a bulletproof vest no bulkier than a T-shirt. Such robust raiment is possible due to the work of Ray Baughman and colleagues at the University of Texas, Dallas, and Trinity College, Dublin, who have developed carbon nanotube fibers tougher than any similar material found in nature or made by humans. In addition to being three times sturdier than spider's silk, these fibers can conduct electricity, making it possible to manufacture clothes with embedded microsensors that might measure temperature and heart rate.

=====

Wow. this takes house arrest to a whole new dimension. The microsensors could measure certain identifiable metrics on your body and eliminate the need for the shackle. On the flip side, it takes espionage to a whole new level too. Want to know about the health of a certain foreign leader? This makes it possible, instead of spying in hospitals.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join