It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

need some advice with a pinched nerve

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I think i have a pinched nerve. I hurt myself lifting weights about 6 days ago. I woke up the next morning with horrible pain in my neck and I couldnt move my head. Since then the pain has been moving around to the shoulder, my tricep, and the inside of my bicep. It is still very very painful, and all the muscles on the upper right hand side of my body are twitching and i am just in extreme pain all the time.

I went to the doctor and he wasn't 100% sure what exactly it was, I am still waiting for some tests. He prescribed me muscle relaxers, pain killers, and anti-inflammatory medication.

He didn't give me any advice really. Has anyone had this before? Should i move around and stretch out? Should i try not to move and rest my arm constantly?

Does anyone know how i can recover quickly, and get rid of this pain?!?!

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Think about a chiropractor. A misaligned vertebrae could be causing the pinched nerve.

A massage from a licensed massage therapist will help to. I would consult one first. Then go to the chiropractor that day while your nice and limber. They realign your spine and it should relieve the pressure off of the nerve which will give you instant relief.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Thanks for the reply. My shoulder is now killing me, and Im not sure if it's a pinched nerve or not. I think I may have hurt my shoulder.

I also continue to get muscle twitches all over the upper right side of my body. Right now the pain is in my tricep though.

Does anyone know what this can possibly be. It kills me when I wake up, and then gets a little better during the day.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by hikix

From your description it does sound like a pinched nerve. The tightness of the muscle the spasms. I still think that perhaps a massage and a visit to a chiropractor may alleviate the problem.

A home remedy that is safe to use is to alternate hot and cold on the affected area. Use a hot rag or water bottle to relax the muscles, then stretch a lot. Then use a cold compress to numb the pain. Alternate these two exercises may help. But professionals may do a better job.

My family has always cracked each others backs and it has helped for a wide variety of muscular and skeletal ailments.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I has something similar.

Chiropractor took care of most of it in one visit.

Yoga helped eliminate it.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   
When I play Football, I get a pinched nerve all the time. Generally in the same place as usually, I am not sure why.

A pinched nerve refers to a condition where there is nerve root irritation or nerve root compression. This nerve problem can occur either in the spine or in a more peripheral location. Symptoms include numbness, "pins and needles" or burning sensations, and pain radiating outward from the injured area.

Link to pinched nerve symptoms

Above I have added a link to a website that narrows down the symptoms of a pinched nerve. Last time I got a pinched nerve, they asked me to go get an MRI scan. I will never no why though, but I feel that is something to point out.

Also, I chose to see a sports physiotherapist. That helped a lot.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I had a pinched nerve in my cervical spine (neck) from lifting big heavy rocks. The pain radiated from my neck down my arm to my elbow and my elbow was killing me, I wanted to cut my arm off, it hurt so bad. I went to a neurologist and had a MRI and that is how I got the diagnosis. My local doctor had popped my back and the neurologist said that was the worst possible thing to do. My pinched nerve wasn't bad enough for surgery but I had physical therapy for a while until the pain got better and eventually it went away. Now, I wonder since your pain is in your side (do you mean trunk of your body?) that your pinched nerve might be lower than the neck like in the thoracic area of your back. See your doctor, if you have one and try to see a neurologist if the pain does not go away.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   
It isn't the end all be all but as a veteran of dislocation, breaks, nerve damage and all sorts of joint disorders I make the following recommendation

go to Walgreens or wherever and look for pain relief. Get a 'moist' heat source. It is like a pad that you microwave then place on the affected area. Moist heat penetrates alot better and then you can work the affected area a bit.

If at any time the area becomes red, swollen, hot to touch, or you feel ill then make sure you see a doc asap

-Kyo

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by catamaran

Actually i have the same exact thing you had. Last week my elbow was killing me.. as i am typing the back of my neck is killing me. It's like a different place every few days. This is really horrible, and even though it is getting better, i would contemplate shooting morphine to get rid of this damn pain!!!! had no idea a pinched nerve would be this excruicating.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 01:22 AM
link   
My wife is a massage therapist and works for a chiro, lucky for me because I'm accident prone and have done way to many things to myself.

What type of lift where you doing?

It does sound like a pinched nerve and I would go to a chiro and a massage. I would also alternate hot and cold along with doing a pin and stretch. Basically your pinning the muscle are that hurts where it attaches to the bone and then your stretching the muscle in its normal range of motion. As it starts to feel a stretch you would then pin a bit deeper into the muscle. This really requires another person to be effective.

If you have health insurance this is all probably covered and you will feel much better right away. Make sure your also drinking lots of water to help remove the toxins from stetching.

top topics

join