It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will drones ever replace human pilots?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Will drones ever replace human pilots?

news.bbc.co.uk

At least 45 people have died in a missile strike by a US drone aircraft in Pakistan, officials there have said.

The people killed in South Waziristan region had been attending a funeral for others killed in a US drone strike earlier on Tuesday.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   
This is really thought provoking. For me, this is showing that we are too reliant on the drones, that key information is not being processed correctly and that the drones may even be giving us a false sense of the cost of a life- it may make life seem too much like a video game.
I do find it incredulous that a funeral is being bombed that was the result of a previous drone bombing. What is this trying to prove both militarily and with hearts and minds?
Appreciate your views

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I believe so at some point in the future..

Besides, the future pilots are being trained with xbox controllers and PC games at this very second.

It would not be too hard to envision a squadron of drones being piloted by a group of people in a room resembling a "lan party" thousands of miles away.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Commercially, They already have. A pilot just get's the plane in the air and then lands. Most of the way they plane is in autopilot.

Warfare, my best bet is they very well will. I can't see why they wouldn't go with drones in a battle situation.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I think it depends on target and cpu power

If you was to use a drone using basic computers a human would probably die

Think of it as a computer game! easy, novice, hard

So from that if they can get the lag / communication / reaction down to a human doing it then yeah comps win.

I think with the advent of complex simulations and hardware.. we are not far off terminators

kinda spooky really

good thread S+F

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I think that drones will replace pilots in some ways. But when it comes to the actual pressing of the "FIRE" button, then that should aways stay in the hands of human beings. A drone will drop it's load on a building and go home. A drone or plane with pilots in command might well see that the building target is in fact a children's school and abort attack

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by BSG75

agree with you 100% but the word "collateral" kinda over rides moral authority sadly

industrial complex loves its toys and killing for profit

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Though drones are unmanned aircraft, they are still flown by human pilots. Humans watch the surveillance camera images, dial them into focus, zoom in, humans fire the missles, humans then turn the drone around and humans land the craft.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Drones have a massive potential to take over from manned war planes due to the fact that we have reached our limit in terms of manned flight.
By 'We' I mean the human body cannot take the G Forces we can now generate using our technology.
F-22 raptors, JSFs and others use computer systems to slow the planes in order to stop the pilots organs from popping out of thier mouths.
Soon we will reach the stage where a mere human could not even control the drones we build with our minds-Thats when the mainframe takes over.
It will happen.

"Damn robots...they come over here taking our jobs,at X1300 the speed of sound.etc etc...
I remember the good old days of F16s,Raptors,JSFs...Its a different world now"

Quote me in 20 years.

top topics

join