It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Work begins on world's deepest underground lab

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Work begins on world's deepest underground lab

news.yahoo.com

Far below the Black Hills of South Dakota, crews are building the world's deepest underground science lab at a depth equivalent to more than six Empire State buildings — a place uniquely suited to scientists' quest for mysterious particles known as dark matter.

Scientists, politicians and other officials gathered Monday for a groundbreaking of sorts at a lab 4,850 foot below the surface of an old gold mine that was once the site of Nobel Prize-winning physics research.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
The deepest underground lab is being built to study "dark matter". The problem is that nomatter how far underground this lab is, it could cause lots of problems, and i am not talking about the claims that this would create a black hole, since there is no way this can be done. We cannot control the energy required to start a singularity. However dark matter is supposed to have more mass than the visible matter we are all familiar with, and which we can see. Exploring this hypothetical matter could create some problems for us, and for Earth itself.

The fact that "dark matter" has more mass than the visible matter we are all familiar with points to the very possibility that we are living in just one of the different manifestations of energy/matter, and there could very well be other worlds with more mass, with a slower vibrating frequency which is invisible to us.

news.yahoo.com

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 01:11 PM
link   
God, what a colossal waste of money to search for something that doesn't exist.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Riposte

Wow, how incredibly close-minded! Are you sure you are on the right website?

-E-

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by MysterE

-E-

I will stake my life on the FACT that dark matter does not exist.

You will never find it. Ever.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Riposte

I never said anything about the existance of dark matter, however the only FACT I see is that you are willing to dismiss parts of this thread in a very closeminded manner. However if you would care to prove Swiss astrophysicist Fritz Zwicky of Cal Tech wrong I will retract my claim. You know it wasn't too long ago people thought the earth was flat, and closeminded people like you said not to sail too far or you would fall off the edge. Luckily we didn't listen to them.

-E-

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   

-E-

I will stake my life on the FACT that dark matter does not exist.

You will never find it. Ever.

You are right, its only a hypothesis.
Science works this way, one must either prove or falsify the hypothesis. This is how it progresses, either way we learn something.

And yes, it takes a huge amount of money to do some serious experiments these days, science has progressed a lot. The days of discovering something using a few test tubes are long gone.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Well said rocksolidbrain!

I still like the idea of this facility, can't wait for the results, even if dark matter is disproved it would be a large step in science and worth the spending.

Although quite honestly, I don't think its the first underground lab to experiment on this
you all know what I mean...

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by ElectricUniverse

The deepest underground lab is being built to study "dark matter". The problem is that nomatter how far underground this lab is, it could cause lots of problems, and i am not talking about the claims that this would create a black hole, since there is no way this can be done.

Yes way..think positive

We cannot control the energy required to start a singularity.

Maybe your using too much energy...nature has a way of providing the answers.

However dark matter is supposed to have more mass than the visible matter we are all familiar with, and which we can see. Exploring this hypothetical matter could create some problems for us, and for Earth itself.

Have you been to space and sampled this "dark matter" ? Me either. I have heard that the space is just thin air and gas. Only a few of us have been up there to run test and they are controlled by the PTB,NWO....so im saying the info we have received is probably tainted.

The fact that "dark matter" has more mass than the visible matter we are all familiar with points to the very possibility that we are living in just one of the different manifestations of energy/matter, and there could very well be other worlds with more mass, with a slower vibrating frequency which is invisible to us.

I agree here , makes sense.

news.yahoo.com

I feel it is a cover story to build something else. Noone will question now why there is work going on there. A few small rooms with computers and vending machines are all you need to research . Maybe its hooking up with the underground tunnel system?? hmmmmm

star for you!

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 03:30 AM
link   

I guess atoms don't exist because you can't see them with the unaided eye....

Dark matter could explain many of the unusual phenomenon we see happening in the Universe yet with our current understanding these phenomenon can't be explained.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 03:43 AM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

Ok, we need to do research - but what I cannot get, I really cannot get this - is why the world would rather do research than feed its starving people.

And why the world would rather wage war than feed its starving people.

I am so sick about this.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by spellbound

I am so sick about this.

Because there are many different people, with different goals, beliefs, and ideals.

Because we are all different, and will ALWAYS be different from each other, at least in this manifestation of matter which we are living. We have different cultures, beliefs, etc, etc, there will ALWAYS be conflicts, and wars.

in ancient times people were not all happy, and always in harmony with nature, etc, etc, as people are led to believe these days.

Ancient times were as attrocious, and sometimes worse than current times.

Even in America different tribes of native people of the Americas would fight against each other in bloody battles.

Some people claim animals are less agressive than humans, well sorry to say these people are being mislead also, since animals also do partake in similar attrocities that many humans do.

It is part of every living thing to fight for survival, including humans, and there are cases in which humans, and animals act in the most horrendous ways.

Did you know that there are sea lions who rape, and kill baby sea lions?
Did you know that just like some human mothers kill their babies there are also similar cases of animals who kill their young too?

Don't ever believe that aliens don't fight against each other, or that they are always in harmony with each other, because ancient cultures have written records in which they describe ancient battles in the skies, and even in space, and we can even see some of these battles in NASA footage to this day.

EVERY living being will fight for survival nomatter what.

It is easy to claim that "everyone should not be killing each other" when you are living with all the conforts of life, when you have food in your table, and probably you don't even have to hunt it, etc. But when push comes to shove, you will fight for the survival of your family, and yourself.

It is human, animal, and even plant nature.

It is the nature of every living being to fight for survival, and in the fight for survival, there will always be competition.

[edit on 24-6-2009 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Ok, we need to do research - but what I cannot get, I really cannot get this - is why the world would rather do research than feed its starving people.

I am so sick about this.

That pretty much mirrors the way I feel about this as well. There are so many things our world could benefit from if we'd use the funding for this lab elsewhere. Starving people, man-made waste, alternatives to conventional fuels such as coal and oil, education for residents of poor nations...the list could go on for a long time. I respect the need and desire to pursue this type of research, but there are some seriously messed up priorities on display here. And the hardest part to accept - the funding for this project likely comes from taxes that the common man and woman pay while living in a global economy that is far from ideal.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   

I am so sick about this.

Did you stop to think that it has been research that has cured millions, it has been research that has fed millions, and it may very well be research that will end the two crises?

-E-

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   
wow...

yet another massive project that probably can only functionally lead to yet.... another post Nuclear super weapon

Cern... this... we really are after the biggest bomba yet ain't we?

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   

reply to post by Riposte

I never said anything about the existance of dark matter, however the only FACT I see is that you are willing to dismiss parts of this thread in a very closeminded manner. However if you would care to prove Swiss astrophysicist Fritz Zwicky of Cal Tech wrong I will retract my claim. You know it wasn't too long ago people thought the earth was flat, and closeminded people like you said not to sail too far or you would fall off the edge. Luckily we didn't listen to them.

-E-

Where as I agree with you that an open mind is important and to not completely dismiss anything, i'd have to agree with Riposte, I don't think they will find dark matter.

And as for your analogy, I'd say it was the other way around, dark matter is a last ditch attempt to revive a failing model, a model that has far too many holes in it.

It is these 'Dark matter' scientists that are like the 'flat earthers' looking for any excuse not to admit that they may have been wrong for most of their lives work, not to mention the 'Belief system' they have invested so much into.

Imagine trying to get a priest to admit God doesn't exist.

Then again, I could be wrong

EMM

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by ElectroMagnetic Multivers

There is no failure except in no longer trying

~Elbert Hubbard~

-E-

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 06:22 AM
link   

There is no failure except in no longer trying

~Elbert Hubbard~

-E-

Touché! I agree we shouldn't give up on it, all options should be explored, I just think we should start to focus our abilities elsewhere.

At the moment, we are lost, quite literally, and everyone seems to be going in the one direction, if you veer off, you get slammed.

Imagine 200 people being lost in a maze. At the moment, they are all sticking together to try and find their way out, when it would be much faster to explore as many possible routes you can, simaltaneously.

We have put (pretty much) all our egg(o)s in one basket.

EMM

Also, I'd like to add: When did we admit to having DUMBS? or even UMBS? There has been alot of ridicule on here for years by people laughing at the obserdity of DUMBS and yet not a dicky bird when a thread comes out 'WORLDS DEEPEST UNDERGROUND BASE....

When was it admitted that we had them? Did I miss the memo?

[edit on 26-6-2009 by ElectroMagnetic Multivers]

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 08:59 AM
link   

I did a quick read on wiki about dark matter and the thing that stood out to me is scientists seem to be observing some kind of unexplainable phenomenon that they have named currently dark matter.

We may not fully understand that phenomenon yet, but it definitely exists.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by FreeSpeaker

I did a quick read on wiki about dark matter and the thing that stood out to me is scientists seem to be observing some kind of unexplainable phenomenon that they have named currently dark matter.

We may not fully understand that phenomenon yet, but it definitely exists.

You know the electron was named so when almost nothing was known about it. The knowledge about electron has grown a lot since then and it is nothing like people imagined (hypothesized) in those days. It was a billiard ball then, its 'nothing' now, composed of parts that are also 'nothing'.

Who knows what face this dark matter will show someday.

<<   2 >>

join