It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My poor Apple...grrrr

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I have to vent! I have a powerbook g4 17inch Apple laptop and I bought it new a few years ago. I was so proud of myself for saving the $3000.00 I needed to buy it. I always wanted one and needed it for school. I got the best I could buy. It did everything and I loved it! I called it my baby and everyone teased me how I treated it like gold! Well last year I was at work and a friend was using it. I was in the office and she came in all freaked out. She said she didnt know what happened to my computer but it wouldnt come on. I laughed and said oh the battery just went out. This happened before with a friend and she thought she broke it so I thought this is what happened this time.. Anyways...I go to the back and then I SEE my computer. It was a MESS! When my so called friend (thats how I feel now) was done with it she put it on top of the SATIN case on the counter. Now anyone with half a brain knows it you put metal on satin it will FALL! Well that is exactly what happened. My poor baby slipped onto the tile floor and was well completely ruined. I had it looked at the next day and it's about 700 to fix it. The sound doesnt work, the CD drive is out of wack so that doesnt work, my wi-fi is messed up, the LCD on the screen as you see is ALL messed up and the "c" key is gone (I have the key but need a special tool to put it back), it doesnt close and you can literally open it and it will be flat. What really bothered me most is my "friend" NEVER once offered to help pay to fix it and she just laughed! She only apologized and another friend of ours who has the same laptop told her "sorry" wont help fix it and the girl who broke it just laughed!! GRRRR! Whenever she sees my computer in it's condition she laughs and says "oh Im sorry." It really makes me want to just put her in a triangle and make her tap out!! If she had offered something I wouldnt be so mad but why should I pay to fix it when I didnt break it? I probably shouldnt have let her use it but she has used it before and so I didnt think it would be in danger so to speak. Well I am venting because it's getting worse and my poor roommate has to deal with my meltdowns over the screen and sound issue. I want to watch videos on here and I cant which is really annoying. I am looking at a new airbook but it will be nothing like my computer. I have looked on ebay but I am still angry that I have to be inconvenienced with an extra expense when my computer was PERFECTLY fine before. When it happened I held back tears until I went to the office and proceeded to break a couple pencils in anger..lol
What do I do? Do I bring it up to her and ask her to help or just count it as a major lesson learned? I know she has the money and the funny thing is she wants to buy my iphone when my new one comes in yet she cant pay to fix my computer she broke? I would take a 100 bucks at this point at least its something. If this were me I would make payments if needed to fix it. I broke a friends Oakleys and went out the next day and replaced them. IDK maybe I think differently than most who knows......
I have looked on Ebay for refurbished versions of my laptop and they are pretty pricey. I will have a new one hopefully in the next month but in the mean time I am getting really annoyed at my own computer and it's issues. Sorry for the long rant but damn it am pissed! My friends say I was way to nice to her and they were surprised I didnt lay her out...lol I wanted to believe me esp after how she acted like it was really no big deal. Anyways here is my poor Mac

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b70da697cea6.jpg[/atsimg]

these are the emotions I feel right now...lol
:bnghd:

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Ouch!

Well besides replacement, the only solution I can offer is to bypass both the keyboard and the screen with external replacements.

There should be ports on that thing somewhere where you can put a keyboard and monitor on it.

Sorry for the loss man.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Hey m, what a sad sight indeed ...

I used to have one of those 17 inchers and it was an awesome computer.
But, if the computer is not internally harmed, you can get a replacement screen for about $280 bucks, less for a new cd/dvd drive, the airport is easily swappable from underneath, and the keys are easily replaced. My bulldog has taken out several with her paws on my previous MacBook Pro 15' and it was easily fixed.

Having said all that it was probably time to move up to an intel chip anyway. I just bought a new MacBook Pro at the apple store and was playing around with the Air and I have to say it's an impressive piece of equipment, especially if like me, one doesn't use their cd/dvd drive that much. If that's the way you go I am sure you will love it.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   
The best thing you can do I believe is to start....

Stop telling everybody it was dropped and....
Tell everybody that...

Your an Artist ...YES... your an artist and this is your latest work of art....

Then you can take it to all the Arts shows and put a hefty price tag on it and reap the rewards.

Who knows ...you could auction it off on E-bay and start a new career!!!!

Lap top Artist :mblah ...sounds good doesn't it

[edit on 23-6-2009 by The Utopian Penguin]

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by The Utopian Penguin

Haa thats a good idea!! I can start a new damaged laptop theme loi It's funny when I go somewhere with wi-fi I always get looks as to what happened. It's embarrassing! The funny thing is another friend dropped my iPhone and cracked the screen. People always say at least they match now and I just glare at them in an evil way. My iPhone is no big deal though, I am getting the new one this weekend. I need to stop letting my friends use my stuff! They obviously have no respect for other people property or they are just idiots when handling electronic devices..lol

SD~

I have been looking at the Macbook Pro and Macbook Air. It just sucks cause I loved mine and it worked fine until it's little accident. I have looked at replacing the screen, keyboard and everything else, it's just too expensive esp with the sound and CD drive not working. I used my CD/DVD drive all the time esp for school. I have a feeling one of my regular customers is going to get me the Macbook Air for school. He has been asking where to get it and what one I want so that would be great! I would keep mine and use it for storage space since my hard drive is pretty big and I could never use it all up.

Whatunko~ Yeah I have thought about that but that is too much to do since I carry my laptop everywhere for school purposes. Hopefully in the next month or so I will have a new one and I wont have to worry about this one anymore. I will keep it since I am kind of attached to it in a weird way...lol

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver

I will keep it since I am kind of attached to it in a weird way...lol

Or, or, you can go all office space catharsis on it's bottom!

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Haaaa there have been days with the screen being so messed up and the sound not working that I want to put my fist through the screen...lol I actually did that once to a DELL I was renting while mine was getting looked at. Yeah not a good idea. Good thing I got the insurance plan on it so I didnt have to pay for it..lol Although it's not my fault windows sucks and it kept shutting down on me

Note to self....must control computer rage!

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Wow that is really tacky of your "friend" to not even offer to pay for it.

They broke it and any decent person would offer to at least HELP pay for it.

I do not normally suggest such things but in my opinion small claims court is not out of the question. your friend broke it, they should pay for it to be fixed, if it can not be fixed they should have to put up what the old laptop was worth toward a new one....

Such a shame when things like this happen. I hope you get this all straightned out.

Peace and love!

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 05:40 AM
link   
I just wish that I had a laptop. These laptops are small and cool.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Well my sanity and temper are going to have to be in chek from now on! My "c" key is really gone now and justc decides to pop up whenever it feels like. Thats it its possessed and needs an exorcism....lol So if in a thread I type an "s" or a "k" where the "c" should be its bekause I am unable to get the key to work and honestly my finger hurts from pressing so hard. I am ordering a keycboard tomorrow and hopefully it will be fixed shortly. I will probably not respond to mu ch with it being like this...grrrrr! The person who did this to my lappy well they had better just stay away from me this week. I forgave them but I never forgot, hell how can I when I am unable to use my laptop properly! She just laughs about it STILL!!! OMG some people are so rude and just gahhhhhh! Oh well...sorry had to vent about this and instead a new thread I put it here...

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Hmmm. I fell off my bike and literally heard my Macbook SLAM into the cement inside my backpack when mine got injured. I didn't even want to deal with it, because I figured it was in pieces.

I got back home, and mine looks nothing like yours.. The CD drive is basically squished shut, but thats really it. The casing is a little warped, but whatev. Its been like that for 6 months, still running strong.

Anyway, I know your pain, and I am very sorry. Macs tend to have their own personality so each one usually finds a special place in our hearts.

top topics

join