It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British embassy in Iran warned as protests crushed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 12:05 AM
link   

British embassy in Iran warned as protests crushed

www.google.com

TEHRAN (AFP) — Pro-government students in Iran have warned of protests outside the British embassy over alleged interference in the country after new opposition rallies were broken up by riot police.

Four student unions said they were planning to stage protests and Fars news agency quoted student leader Esmail Tahmouressi as warning of another "November 4", the date when radical students seized the US embassy in Tehran after the 1979 revolution.

Iran has ordered a BBC correspondent to leave
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 12:05 AM
link   
A repeat of 1979, except it's British Embassy this time?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Irananian hostage crisis was a diplomatic crisis between Iran and the United States where 52 Americans were held hostage for 444 days from November 4, 1979 to January 20, 1981, after a group of Islamist students and militants took over the American embassy with the support of the Iranian government.

The episode reached a climax when, after failed attempts to negotiate a release, the United States military attempted a rescue operation, Operation Eagle Claw, on April 24, 1980, which resulted in a failed mission, the crash of two aircraft and the deaths of eight American servicemen and one Iranian civilian. It ended with the signing of the Algiers Accords in Algeria on January 19, 1981. The hostages were formally released into United States custody the following day, just minutes after the new American president Ronald Reagan was sworn in.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

These so called pro-regime students... I wonder if they are Basij. After all they are a militia of 90,000 volunteers. Only a few hundred have been beating and shooting protestors which are likely the hardcore.

Anyway anyone who is pro-regime is not going to be nice for the British Embassy to have to deal with banging on their door!

FYI the Revolutionary Guards number around 150,000 as well.

www.google.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Could always be a possibility, since the regime can't use the U.S. this time it has been going after the UK.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Riviera
Could always be a possibility, since the regime can't use the U.S. this time it has been going after the UK.

Yes they have noticably changed their tone of hatred towards the UK and there's no US embassy this time

Why only relatives coming home, why not all embassy staff... I have a bad feeling whoever recommended they stay will regret it later.

Maybe Khamenei sees the weakness in Gordon Brown's leadership so has decided we are the best target for now.

Unless the British government has done something to annoy the Ayatollah like freeze some money he placed abroad. Now that could be a possibility as they have been known to obtain money fraudently and store it in overseas accounts in false names, and later withdraw it. I wonder if this has happened, as it would have to be a large amount in order for them to be this angry with us.

They are probably still upset about the British Empire screwing them over a million times as well.

What does the Khamenei want, an apology from the queen. Haha

[edit on 23-6-2009 by john124]

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Riviera

It would be more accurate to say they are going after the British Embassy because the government claims the Brits triggered this rebellion (not unlikely, IMO). They specifically charge that the BBC was caught falsifying reports and spreading disinfo.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by secretagent woooman
reply to post by Riviera

It would be more accurate to say they are going after the British Embassy because the government claims the Brits triggered this rebellion (not unlikely, IMO). They specifically charge that the BBC was caught falsifying reports and spreading disinfo.

Nah if anything the BBC until yesterday has been reporting more regime propaganda unwittingly rather than full facts. Only very recently after the lovely girl who got shot did the BBC really begin to get stuck into reporting this. Same with most other western news services. Newsnight has actually reported the majority of the facts yesterday.

The protestors who were arrested and confessed, I reckon they were tortured to say they are spies. I really doubt Gordon Brown could plan this, even if MI5 did most of the leg work. He can't even sort out MP's expenses

If the UK government is guilty of anything why not bring back all diplomats as they would know a hostage situation is inevitable. But if it's an Iranian organised revolution then it would make sense to leave diplomats there. Unless it's a double bluff. We can't say for sure.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Also for months now the regime has been blaming spies from London for mosque bombings....

But when the UK asked for evidence, the Iranian's backed down and refused. It seems very strange that they wouldn't at least show some real evidence that is conclusive if they are that convinced. Otherwise they are making it up or guessing.

IMO the regime has been responsible for all of these suicide bombings, not anyone from London
, not protestors, but the regime. They are definitely capable of it. We can see that they have the thugs who would be capable of it.

So IMO the regime has been setting up the UK for months for this kind of event that may take place today

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Well if they take British hostages, I hope the Brits handle it better than we did and they kick the living hell out of them and take their people back. We made ourselves look like the biggest bunch of wusses on the planet. love old Jimmy Carter, but he should have taken care of that one better.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by grapesofraft
Well if they take British hostages, I hope the Brits handle it better than we did and they kick the living hell out of them and take their people back. We made ourselves look like the biggest bunch of wusses on the planet. love old Jimmy Carter, but he should have taken care of that one better.

If it happens I think the most we'll do is plead for them to let them go. Why has the world got so wimpy!

Remember back in 2007 when Iran took British troops hostage.

news.bbc.co.uk...

It was the Islamics in Iran responsible in 1979, 2007 and now in 2009. I can't wait until this regime goes to hell for good.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Just in -
Reports: Iran won't annul election results

seems the regime wants to stand until the very end. As they get more desperate the more the more crazy their actions will become resulting in chain reaction of events and deaths.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by john124

I dont know how the world got so wimpy. All I know is if GW was around when they took the American hostages those Iranians would all be "free" whether they wanted to be or not

[edit on 23-6-2009 by grapesofraft]

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by grapesofraft
reply to post by john124

I dont know how the world got so wimpy. All I know is if GW was around when they took the American hostages those Iranians would all be free whether they wanted to be or not

OK more conserved, but I wish it was Bush & Blair again, not Obama and Brown

I remember after day 1 of the Georgia conflict Bush sent a cargo plane with food, medicine supplies straight away, and later even a destroyer to Poti when the Russians were still there nicking NATO equipment. And the Russian's scarpered when the US warship arrived after threatening to stay and inspect all incoming cargo. And the American national anthem being played loudly as cargo was unloaded. Brilliant! Bush called their bluff and it worked!

The Russian's even nicked NATO standard boots as they were made better than their smelly old boots, and don't forget the hummers they towed away with their tanks. They were American owned, did the US get those hummers back?

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by grapesofraft

Yes, we had Delta Force but they have something mightier than God....
real live, honest to God Scotsmen......

Think about it!

Better yet, send in a few Irish recruits and tell them the Queen said kiss her Blarney stone and hide the whiskey, I;m sure that will be all the motive they need!

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by grapesofraft

Yes, we had Delta Force but they have something mightier than God....
real live, honest to God Scotsmen......

Think about it!

Better yet, send in a few Irish recruits and tell them the Queen said kiss her Blarney stone and hide the whiskey, I;m sure that will be all the motive they need!

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 01:36 AM
link   
I worry for the Brits.Maybe the mullahs are thinking a nice hostage crises would cloud their domestic woes.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by AgentX09
I worry for the Brits.Maybe the mullahs are thinking a nice hostage crises would cloud their domestic woes.

I read this and I definitely became worried:

Royal Navy destroyer put to sea without missiles a 'disgrace'

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by john124

Iran balmes the UK for far longer than the USA than anyone else - the rape of teh country for oil , after WW2 when the british controlled the country and teh governement in Tehran was powerless - and of course who could ever forget operation Ajax - the removal of the lawful leader and replaced with the despot called the shah and his brutal SAVAK.

yes the people of iran have a good reason to hate the UK as much as they do

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 03:10 AM
link   
Just seen on bbc news 24 breaking news: Student protests outside British embassy cancelled due to regime not allowing them. That's very odd. Wonder what's been going on behind the scenes, as I would have thought the regime would have enjoyed that. Maybe they panicked and are scared of it turning into a hostage crisis, and a war.

top topics

join