It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So, you want to be a Jedi?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2003 @ 02:25 PM
link   
This may be old news to some of the hardcore Star Wars geeks abroad, but I thought I'd bring it up, anyway...
A couple of weeks ago, I was looking for various subjects included in the Star Wars movies, one of which being the "philosophies behind the jedi religion" (NOTE: I was looking for this so I could act as though I were an actual Jedi for the next convention that rolls around, so I could have the speech and such to go with my outfit....anyway...). I stumbled across this: www.jediism.org...
This sounds really bogus, and I am almost certain that it is, but it's still fun to have a look. Have phun! I am the Star Wars geek, fear my idiocy!

posted on Feb, 9 2003 @ 02:33 PM
link   
LOL. I loved reading every article there. Hey I'm a Star Wars "geek" too. There is nothing wrong with it

posted on Feb, 9 2003 @ 02:41 PM
link   
LoL, I figured that you would be the first to see my post, Master *bows*
. I have discovered that, while the entire idea (probably) was actually stolen from Lucas' movies, the philosophies behind the beliefs still help...they help me at least. I lived in pure hatred for the better part of 3 years, and when I became a Star Wars geek, 7 years ago (I'm 16, if it matters), I began trying to believe the entire belief behind "Jediism". I do, in fact, meditate on various aspects of "the Force", and do my best not to feel fear, anger or hatred, etc. as Yoda instructs every student in the Order. I have found that it actually helps! (non-geeks, insert critisism here.) By the way, Master (god, I do sound like a SW nerd), do you know exactly when the next SW con. is, because I can't find a damn thing on it anywhere! Also, what's your take on the belief in "Force", or whatnot? I'm interested in others' thoughts on this topic!

posted on Feb, 9 2003 @ 02:56 PM
link   
George Lucas designed his Jedi on several existing faiths, as has been discussed in many interviews in the past. Mainly, Taoism, Zen Buddhism, Buddhism, Christianity, New Age, and maybe some Hinduism.

There are probably more that I didn't include, but there was basically nothing new about his Jedi that hadn't been expressed in the past.

In fact, here is a quote from that site:

It shares many themes embraced in Hinduism, Confucionism, Buddhism, Gnosticism, Stoicism, Catholicism, Taoism, Shinto, Modern Mysticism, the Way of the Shaolin Monks, the Knight's Code of Chivalry and the Samurai Warriors.

I hadn't even thought about Gnosticism and Shinto... which I should have. As you see, it is just a combination faith that tries to draw interesting aspects from many faiths to form this "Jedi." The only probably is, where are these super powers they claim to be able to develop? Show me that and I'll subscribe to your newsletter.

Where can I sign up to be a Sith? (sp?)

posted on Feb, 9 2003 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Sith I don't know. Maybe someone will make a Sithism religion. The next Star Wars Celebration will be in two years I think.

posted on Feb, 9 2003 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Its just an idea but the sith would be based on Christianity.... Sith is the anti christ...just an idea

posted on Feb, 9 2003 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Sith isn't a "religion" it's a state of being.

There is only one Sith lord and one Sith apprentice (more or less) and he comes once every 1000 years, so Yoda is the only one old enough to know what it was like the last time...but even he was too young to actually experience it first hand.

Correct?

Sincerely,
no signature

posted on Feb, 10 2003 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Now Lucas did base the Jedi and Sithon religions.

Just one correction FM, the Sith began the two only at a time after Darth Bane ordered that there is to be only two at a time. Yoda would have no clue since the last Sith Lord died 1,000 years prior to Episode 1. But they lived in secret so when Sidious and Maul came they had no clue that it was a Sith. Then after the Empire was formed it was Palpatine and Vader.

posted on Feb, 10 2003 @ 02:03 PM
link   
There's lots of Star Wars costuming groups at science fiction conventions. One of the more comprehensible lists is at:

www.locusmag.com...

At CopperCon (Arizona) the have a very active SW group that does costuming and gaming and programming. Fun bunch!

posted on Feb, 10 2003 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I don't have a link but there are all these storm trooper groups. There is one in Pittsburg I think.

posted on Feb, 11 2003 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Text

and yes FreeMason you are right again...damn, the man is smart !!! Tumbs up!

posted on Feb, 11 2003 @ 04:56 PM
link   
STAR WARS RULES !!

posted on Feb, 13 2003 @ 10:48 AM
link   
In Scotland we ran a campaign to encourage as many people as possible to write Jedi as their religion on the 2001 census form. If 10000 people wrote it, it would become an official religion. Not too sure of the results, but I heard something similar happened in Australia and Jedi-ism is an official religion there

posted on Feb, 13 2003 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Usually, there are lots of Science-Fiction/Fantasy, etc. Conventions, and a large part of them is Star Wars, vs. a specific Star Wars convention. I've gone to a few, and they've always been fun... Even had a nice conversation with Anthony Daniels (C3PO for the non-SW geeks, hehe), and he is one of the nicest guys I've ever met.

Having grown up exposed to several different religions, I kind of developed my own ideas...oddly enough, there are many parallels between my beliefs and "Jedism"

posted on Feb, 13 2003 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Thought you might be interested to know that the 2001 census here in Britain was targeted by an email asking us to put down Jedi as our religion.

oddly enough on the radio this morning I heard that the results are in.

390,000 people eventualt submitted Jedi, only 0.7 % of the population but still more than enough to get it recognized and tallyed by the government.

apparently the authoritys were kinda pleased stating that many people who wouldn't normally complete the census will have done so simply for the opertunity to write Jedi.

so there ya go.

Its official.

Jedi is a recognised and statisticaly verifiable british religion.

yay us.

posted on Feb, 13 2003 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I am also a Star Wars fan..

Have any of you been following the Star Wars Galexy (online role playing( game..it looks like its gonna be a huge hit..

if you are interested just type the name into any search engine and watch the results..

they are gonna have several playable races..well worth the time to check it out

Boomslang

posted on Feb, 13 2003 @ 12:29 PM
link   
hehehe
*coughgeekscough*

Ummm... very interesting beliefs you have there *cough*. Unfourtanetly *cough* I never became interested in Star Wars.

posted on Feb, 13 2003 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Hmmm...

...Since it seems that Jediism is on its way to becoming an established religion, wouldn't it be more appropriate for such philosphical discussions to continue in the Religion Section?...

posted on Feb, 13 2003 @ 01:28 PM
link   
uk.news.yahoo.com...

Jedis are a force to be reckoned with

Click to enlarge photo

LONDON (Reuters) - It's official -- "Star Wars" has created almost 400,000 Jedis in Britain.

Over 390,000 people wrote "Jedi" on their 2001 census form, more than those who registered their faith as Jewish, Buddhist or Sikh in the optional question on religion, the Office for National Statistics (ONS) said on Thursday.

The Jedis declared their belief after a campaign on the Internet asked people to "do it because you love Star Wars" or "just to annoy people".

"Star Wars devotees stated their faith as 'Jedi' in the mistaken belief that if 10,000 did so it would be recognised as an official religion," a spokesman for the ONS said.

The census question on religion offered a series of tick-boxes for the major religions, including a free space for "any other religion".

In the films, the Jedi knights are a noble order of protectors unified by their belief in a universal power called the Force.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Just so y'all know, I have absolutely no interest in Star Wars, but I did circulate an e-mail around Scotland asking people to put Jedi as their religion for the purpose of annoying the government

posted on Feb, 13 2003 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Actually, in the USA anyway, it's quite easy to start a new *legally recognized* religion...Just step on into your local city hall & start asking questions on how to get ahold of teh paperwork to register your new religion. Fill it all out, send it into the address provided so it can get logged & processed, then VOILA! A spanking brand new religion!

I didn't think it would be that easy...Someone I originally met while I was in the NAVY showed me the paperwork involved: He is the official Chief Pastor for the religion of The Immaculate '57 Chevy.

No, this is not a joke & it's all true...

So, who's going to rush out & try to become Earth's *first* Jedi Master?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join