It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swine flu 'could infect up to half the population'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 06:13 AM
link   

Primary care trusts are to set up anti-viral drug distribution centres and swine flu testing clinics amid fears that the infection could spread out of control.

The Chief Medical Officer, Sir Liam Donaldson, wrote to health authorities last week urging hospitals to test all patients who show signs of flu-like symptoms. He wrote: "Transmission from person to person in this country is increasingly common. There is evidence that sporadic cases are arising with no apparent link either to cases elsewhere in the UK or to travel abroad."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

www.independent.co.uk...

Base this projection on current fatality rate (.4%), a possible 120,000 could die in the United Kingdom - if the virus spreads out of control.

Birmingham has already declared Swine Flu is widespread and cannot be brought under control.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 06:20 AM
link   
As with other flu strains, this will run its course. Sadly there is a big possibility of a great amount of deaths but...it will run its course and end.

I really don't know whether to trust the upcoming vaccines but we'll just wait and see how all of this turns out.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 06:28 AM
link   
I heard somewhere than 1 in 3 will become infected. Not sure if its true.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Not suprising to me in the age of plane travel.

In New York city, alone, is has been estimated by CDC and Mayor Bloomberg that at LEAST 550,000 people have been exposed.

Extrapolate out and that's most of us.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by CultureD
In New York city, alone, is has been estimated by CDC and Mayor Bloomberg that at LEAST 550,000 people have been exposed.

At current expiry rates (.4) suggested, that is around 2200 potential 'victims', at that stated exposure rate.

I am not expecting that to happen just yet.

(edit,...math)

[edit on 21-6-2009 by smirkley]

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   
OH MY GOD!!!!! RUN FOR THE HILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLS!!!12

Seriously, how many more scare threads will we endure? Take proper precautions, and stop feeding the [your] fear monster.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 05:24 AM
link   
Respectfully, I am not fearmongering; rather I am sharing what I learn and posting it- in an attempt to be a part of a solution to this (at least among members, as the majority of the world don't seem to know or care what's happening).

If the reports are offensive, may I ask why you read them, or reply? Maybe someone will post something that will help you, if things get bad.

If they don't, we all here at least know what to do in the event some other biological event occurs.

And a 0.4% mortality rate could be around 30 million people in a short time- is that trivial to you?

new topics

top topics

join