It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you a pacifist?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 02:07 AM
link   
I am almost entirely pacifist. My only exception is self-defense. Even certain wars, such as the Allies' action in WW2, count as self-defense.

However, I am categorically against:

1) "Wars to end all wars"
2) Torture
3) Death penalty
4) Wars of conquest
5) Revenge
6) Nuclear bombs
7) Corporal punishment
8) Partial-birth abortion
9) Terrorism, no matter the cause
10) Totalitarianism

Why? Because of the hypocritical nature of all of these, they always backfire categorically.

[edit on 21-6-2009 by Donnie Darko]

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Donnie Darko

I am certainly NOT a pacifist, but on certain issue I agree with you..

1) "Wars to end all wars" ...Absolutely.. (Man would not survive I fear)
2) Torture... Depends
3) Death penalty...Only because it cost more than to house them
4) Wars of conquest... Depends
5) Revenge... Usually against it
6) Nuclear bombs.. In Favor
7) Corporal punishment... In Favor
8) Partial-birth abortion.. 100% against
9) Terrorism, no matter the cause.. 100% Against
10) Totalitarianism.. Depends

I will leave you with some quotes that I have found help me in times I have doubted my road..

They may not inspire you, but they do me..

"All it takes for evil to triumph, is for good men to do nothing"

"You have never lived until you have almost died, for those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know"

Semper

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 02:17 AM
link   
I am also a pacifist except when it comes to self-defense.

I don't really see a need for war. Unless you need to defend yourself, or, for yeah, for self-defense.

Aggression always provokes violence... and we need less of that.

The only place where I am not a pacifist at all is in video games.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 02:49 AM
link   
Yes, I believe that I am a pacifist. I think that many of us believe that our only solution to all of our problems as a species is to kill.

I've always thought that the trillions of dollars that are spent world wide on military expenditure would be better spent feeding and housing the poor.

Sadly, it seems our governments feel that all this money would be better spent developing high tech weaponry that is designed for no other purpose than to kill fellow our human beings.

I think that over time, even the governments of the world will evolve and realize the error of their ways and we will move closer to a world without suffering.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 02:49 AM
link   
Yes I am brother.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 07:11 AM
link   
I support the ideals of pacifism wholeheartedly. I much prefer discussion, avoidance, humor and whatever else to maintain the peace. The problem is that the above ideals are held by the many but not respected by the few. In a previous job I helped to protect the public from the violence of others. Violence and aggression are met with force and violence can be a necessity. Violence is part of our natures and stronger in some people than others. In my current occupation, violence is again an occasional feature of my working day. Sometimes it requires an aggressive response to protect the individual concerned and others from injury.

Being a devoted pacifist in these cases would encourage greater violence by those that don't care. Pacifism is my favored approach to life, but aggression is sometimes unavoidable. Don't get me wrong here, friends and colleagues describe me as a 'big softy' and 'kind-hearted.' It's just that there's a time and a place for pacifism and the same goes for violence

top topics

join