It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the sun causing the recent abnormal weather?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Hey all. This is my first real thread, and I hope to spark some debate regarding an important topic - The relationship between the Earth and Sun and everything that comes along with it. With any luck there's a few people out there in the tubes who can either support or refute my ideas. I noticed that we took a nice little burst today, so I feel it may be a good time to get postin'. Forgive me if I'm a little "all over the place", here. I tried my best to make sure everything in here is as accurate as possible, but with all the data it's hard!

Here's what caught my eye today:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7b6bdf2f3c35.jpg[/atsimg]

So, what impact does this have on our Earth? Space weather has been documented to affect practically every process on Earth - meteorological, biological, technological, semsic, volcanic, economic and many more. It can affect the price of grain, your physical health, the air we breathe, fry power grids, create hurricanes and tornadoes and many other things. We're still not quite sure how all of these processes work, but we can make the correlation.

I believe that the recent solar minimum has lulled us into a false sense of security regarding the impact on society that solar activity can cause.

Most food deliveries that are shipped to supermarkets are co-ordinated with computer software and GPS. These satellites aren't well shielded due to weight and cost issues (lowest bid) and are vulnerable. They've been knocked out of service due to solar radio bursts before, and they will again.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c326d102c8dd.jpg[/atsimg]

Here’s a snapshot of recent seismic data:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/983c80f08808.jpg[/atsimg]

There is a marked increase in frequency and intensity of recent activity around the same time as the flare up in solar activity

This is my attempt to give some spatial context to the Japanese Real Time Magnetospheric simulator. I've placed an image from this afternoon into a Celestia orbital simulation. It takes an average of 60 to 80 hours for a flare/CME to reach the earth over this distance of 1 AU. (Note that the Earth and magnetosphere are NOT to scale, and isn't exactly "top down"..)

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/83462cb7c10f.jpg[/atsimg]

and here is a visualization of the satellites in geosynchronus orbit:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ea3a2f2d49a2.jpg[/atsimg]

And the magnetic field lines on Earth:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ab5593b4c9c4.gif[/atsimg]

[edit on 21-6-2009 by brokenheadphonez]

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Recently there has been an increase in magnetic field variances. This can lead to odd effects on both biological and technological processes as well. Here are a few links I’ve collected recently. Note that these incidents MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE any correlation with the recent activity...

· WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A Chinese submarine accidentally collided with an underwater sonar array being towed by a U.S. military ship, CNN reported on Friday…

· CAPE TOWN, South Africa (AP) — Authorities have shot dozens of exhausted whales that beached on a shore near South Africa's storm-lashed southern tip amid scenes of grief and despair from volunteers who had tried to save them.

· NASA was due to attempt a risky reboot of its Mars Odyssey orbiter on Tuesday. Odyssey is the main communications link between NASA's Mars rovers and Earth, and if it wakes up after the reboot its memory should be cleared of the build-up of errors that resulted from cosmic-ray bombardment. It may also restore back-up power circuits to health.

And perhaps most eccentrically, here is a snapsot of ACE satellite electron density and temperature around the Earth for the date of 09/06/06 as taken from the Japanese Real Time Magnetosphere simulation:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/10c4ff61c1d1.jpg[/atsimg]

Notice that big spike in electron density and a complete drop off of temperature data from the ACE satellite, (which is physically impossible, probably a technical glitch). Well that was between 2-4 hours of the Air France 447 midair failure.

And I pulled the SOHO image from a couple of days before, and it shows activity and high speed charged particles, so I believe that this may be a plausible hypothesis.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/75b78fe67e2a.jpg[/atsimg]

Meanwhile NASA has also been exaggerating the number of sunspots for whatever reason, they seem determined to support their agenda without any regard for the science.

Now that the sun is starting to wake up and becomes more active, we're experiencing increased solar wind with increased particle flux and densities.

As the energy is channeled into the poles, does it push supercold air masses towards the equator and into the jetstream where they encounter all of the extra water that's been evaporated by increased ionospheric convection and thus results in increased cloud cover, precipitation, tornadoes, hurricanes, etc? Is the sun the cause of the recent abnormal weather?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9cd015ae50ad.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Neat activity today...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/335ec0d8e75d.jpg[/atsimg]

Here are links so that everyone can watch for themselves...

Solar facing satellites

SOHO EIT 304
SOHO LASCO C3
STEREO
ACE satellite data

Earth facing satellites

GOES North/South American satellite (IR)
GOES North America satellite (IR)

Misc

Latest World Earthquakes

Magnetometer chain (@ HAARP)

Spaceweather.com

[edit on 20-6-2009 by brokenheadphonez]

[edit on 20-6-2009 by brokenheadphonez]

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Here is magnetometer data from Alaska that shows the corresponding magnetic field changes on Earth.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/86485a52c987.jpg[/atsimg]

Everyone around me today has felt "down" or quiet, tired, very subdued.

I asked someone about 1000 miles south of me if she felt any different today, and her reply was something like: "It's like everyone's hibernating, everyone's in a funk."

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by brokenheadphonez

Hi Brokenheadphonez,

In regards to you creating a thread congradulations. But... let's get a few things straight and not publish them irresponsibly. First of all I was a geologist in years past, but I'm not a geologist currently, I'm an Earthquake and Weapons of Mass Destruction Consultant.

Also, I stated that the photo that you showed me looked like an Earthquake Cell Cloud Ring, and it does look exactly like an Earthquake Cell Cloud Ring; but later on when you sent me the photo via Yahoo Mail, I saw the caption, and the caption states that it is "Manicouagan Impact Crater reservoir (foreground) in Quebec, Canada" and I sent you a reply stating that according to the caption that you sent with the photo that it is not an Earthquake Cell Cloud Ring after all, but it is an Impact Crater instead.

So... I hope you will obligingly correct these mistakes that you have placed within your thread, in order to keep that part of your thread correct.

Thanks

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 02:00 AM
link   

you said :
Is the sun causing the recent abnormal weather?

Probably.

Also the sun, whatever it is up to these days, is probably also the real reason the US has just switched over to digital-only TV ...

Digital is much more robust with regard to electromagnetic disturbances which seem to have been screwing up analog TV reception more and more over the past few years ...

This has been most noticable for those on the edge of a given TV station's area of coverage.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 02:31 AM
link   
RussianScientists: Thanks for pointing out my error. I was perplexed as to why you hadn't responded to my emails recently, and I wondered why you hadn't written back. I only have two emails from you in my box, I've just checked (but I haven't checked the spam filter..)

I guess there was a clog in the tubes or something. I've made an edit to remove the erroneous data and I'll clean it up in the morning. My apologies.

But certainly you can agree that there is a documented relationship between solar activity and seismicity?

What would your observations be regarding recent seismic activity? And I also apologize for addressing you by the wrong title!

Darn, haha that was my favorite part of the theory! The image is astonishing nonetheless. It ooks (a little too tipsily) like you are correct. Lol will check in the am..

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/671da3f7dbde.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9c70f327c5b4.jpg[/atsimg]

And to visiblevillian:

Great point. Yeah it makes way more sense than embedded cameras and stuff like that, lol!

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 03:00 AM
link   

Hi Broken Head Phonez,

I thought you just quit corresponding after I told you about the photo. You are a very good friend my friend. Yes, the image is very interesting though, and it serves a point. The image is circular and looks exactly like what an Earthquake Cell Cloud Ring looks like. Many commercial pilots have seen these strange Cloud Rings in the skys and do not know why they exist. If someone ever did an interview with commercial pilots on seeing the Cloud Rings, people would find out that they have seen many of them over the years.

There is a relationship between seismicity and solar activity. For instance, while our Solar System has been getting closer and closer to the Galactic Plane, which we should pass through sometime around the end of 2012, seismicity for larger earthquakes on the average is on the rise. Sometime after passing through the Galactic Center, then seismicity should on the average for larger earthquakes should be diminishing, and that should be around 2027 hopefully.

Some seismicity has a relationship with solar activity, but not all. To use solar activity to predict specific earthquakes is highly unlikely, but the occurence of larger earthquakes and frequency could be very likely related to solar activity.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I'm kinda...confused all this science stuff always messes me up ^^

Maybe Megatron managed to finish what he wanted to do in Transformers 2!!!!
(not going to say what for all the yanks out there who obviously havent seen it yet due to different release date)

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I have noticed a decrease in energy this past week, in myself and those closest to me. But an increased interest in knowledge.
Every year I notice that the first heat wave after winter I get rather lethargic.
Makes me wish I knew more about these charts you present here.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
RussianScientists: As usual a great contribution. I have to ponder your remarks before I comment more on them. Do you have a cure for hangovers, too?

Raider of Truth: Yeah the data is simply overwhelming, I've spent quite a bit of time just processing it all mentally. I'm gonna try and break it down a little more for everyone, including myself.

I think I find it most difficult to understand the interaction between such a dynamic set of systems. And oh I can't wait for that movie! Haha!!

drconfused: I believe I can document a link between my recent lethargy and Polar Ice vodka, but I can't prove anything.
I will explain the charts after I take my little one for a swim and mini adventure.

I've also got some relevant research papers that I've summarized and will try and post tonight or tomorrow.

Looks like magnetospheric density and temp are slowly returning to "normal"..

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by brokenheadphonez
RussianScientists: As usual a great contribution. I have to ponder your remarks before I comment more on them. Do you have a cure for hangovers, too?

First the obvious cure, leave the sauce alone. Besides causing the hangover, it makes you look less than credible when you bring it up here.

Second, oxygen. When I was in the Navy (a long time ago) whenever I had a hangover, I would grab a mask from the AE shop and go sit in a plane and suck up some oxygen. I have found this to be the miracle cure for hangovers.

Third, (another Navy trick) run your head under water as hot as you can handle for 2 minutes, then without removing your head from under the water turn the hot water off and douse your head with all cold water for another 1 minute.

By the way interesting thread, do you have any collaborating data from any nearby planets to measure effect on them? All of global warming theory may in fact be related to a solar influence. This would be especially true if other planets were experiencing climate changes or increased temperatures.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Hi,
I thought this link might be of use,it's a paper on IMF caused by Coronal holes.
Also at the moment we are supposed to be coming out of Solar minimum but it is not happening as thought,and some people are speculating about a much longer minimum than usual,although this is something that has happened before.

www.agu.org...

[edit on 21-6-2009 by smurfy]

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by visible_villain

Visible_Villain, what a genius observation. After hearing all the conspiracy reasons for TVs going digital in the US, a simple scientific reason sounds the best.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I think you've created a great thread hereand you presented your findings well, good rsearch! Me personally, I don't fully understand all the charts and what they represent, but im working on it.

I do feel we have really underestimated the effect the sun has on our earth, and could prove to be a real BIG problem in the coming years.

Im gonna try and make mor sense of all this a little better, butI just want to pick up on somthing you mentioned....

Here is a thread on ATS discussing a south Atlantic Magnetic Anomaly and the effect it could have had on the Air France Disaster.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

You're evidence points to the same conclusion. Im not saying it is the right cnclusion, and don't want to try and ruin you're thrad turnig it into an Air France debate, but if solar activity DID have something to do with it then my god we've got some scary times ahead.

Great Post, S & F!

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by DarrylGalasso

LOL, thanks for the great advice, hmm, I seem to have misplaced my fighter jet however.. I did get to sit in the pilot's seat of an F100 once, what an incredible experience. "Don't pull that handle, or you'll be one with the top of the hangar, son!"

I think that social eating and drinking and celebration on the solstice is a pretty traditional activity, and anyone with half a brain can separate the ideas I've put forth and having a little bit of personal fun on the solstice! People are so fickle! Thank heavens the Navy doesn't have a reputation for consuming alcohol in excess, imagine the ensuing panic among the people!

My primary motivation is to discuss the topic at hand, and let's be honest - this is some pretty heavy duty data processing. A joke or two can lighten the mood. I'm definitely not above embarassing myself for a laugh, but I appreciate your thoughts nonetheless. Plate presentation and all..

I really don't have any data on other planets, but I'll take a look see and see what I can dig up. Big storm approaching now, so it looks like I'm stuck inside for now.. :S

And to Smurfy: Thanks for the paper, wow I think that paper is going to take me several read throughs before I understand..

I have a few sitting here myself...

Solar and Geomagnetic Activities and Related E®ects on the Human physiological and Cardio-Health State: Some Results of Azerbaijani and Collaborative Studies Elchin S. Babayev

The geospace is very sensitive to solar and geomagnetic activity, to changes in these activities and its manifestations in the near-Earth space environment and on the Earth. The Sun, as the origin of visible and invisible in°uence, poses a health and safety threat to humans and all kinds of human activities.

Biochemical Parameters of Human Health Monitored in Season of Low and High Solar Activity Jana Štetiarová, Oliver Dzvoník, Karel Kudela, Peter Daxner

In next study we analysed the distributions of some physiological and biochemical parameters monitored in Air Force Military hospital Košice during season of low and high solar activity. Statistical tests shows significant differences of high density level cholesterol distribution, haemoglobin content distribution, erythrocytes distribution and erythrocytes sedimentation distribution in these two data samples. The results are discussed in comparison with similar empirical determined connectivity of other authors.

Powerful Solar Radio Bursts as a Potential Threat to GPS Functioning Afraimovich E.L., Yasukevich Yu.V., Ishin A.B., Smolkov G.Ya.

We investigate the GPS performance quality of X6.5 and X3.4 solar flares, which produced a solar radio burst with unprecedented radio flux density on 6 and 13 December 2006. We use GPS data from the global network of two-frequency receivers (more then 1500 sites) and from the Nationwide GPS array of Japan GEONET (13 December; 1200 sites). We have found significant experimental evidence that the high precision GPS positioning was partially paralyzed on all sunlit sides of the Earth for more than 10 min. We prove that the high level of phase slips and count omissions are caused by the wideband solar radio noise emission.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   
SPACE CLIMATE MANIFESTATION IN EARTH PRICES – FROM MEDIEVAL ENGLAND UP TO MODERN U.S.A. L. A. PUSTILNIK1,2 and G. YOM DIN3

For a search of possible manifestations of the ‘space weather - wheat market’ connection in modern time, we analyze dynamics of wheat prices in the U.S.A. in the twentieth century.We show that the wheat prices revealed a maximum/minimum price asymmetry consistent with the phases of the sunspot cycle.We discuss possible explanations of this observed asymmetry, unexpected under conditions of globalization of the modern wheat market.

Case studies of space weather events from their launching on the Sun to their impacts on power systems on the Earth H.-L. Lam, D. H. Boteler, and L. Trichtchenko

Active geomagnetic conditions on 12–13, 15– 16, and 22–23 September 1999 resulted in geomagnetically induced currents (GIC) measurable in power systems in Canada and the United States. Different solar origins for these three events gave rise to dissimilar interplanetary signatures. We used these events to present three case studies

Geomagnetic Hazards to Conducting Networks D. H. BOTELER

Geomagnetic disturbances can disrupt the operation of conducting networks, such as power systems, pipelines and communication cables. In power systems, geomagnetically induced currents (GIC) flow to ground through power transformers, disrupting their operation and causing transformer heating, increased reactive power demand, and generating harmonics that can cause relay misoperation. In extreme cases these effects can lead to power blackouts such as occurred on the Hydro-Québec system during a geomagnetic storm in March 1989 leaving 6 million people without power for 9 hours. Geomagnetic disturbances are the result of eruptions on the Sun that send high energy particles streaming out into space. When these particles reach the Earth they interact with the magnetic field, generating currents that flow down into the ionosphere. The most intense currents are associated with the aurora and occur in an east-west band across Canada. It is the magnetic field produced by these ionospheric currents that is seen on the ground as a magnetic disturbance. Prevention of geomagnetic effects on power systems has focussed on blocking the flow of GIC in the system. However, such measures are expensive and many utilities rely on forecasts of geomagnetic activity to help them operate during disturbances. The Canadian Geomagnetic Forecast Service, operated by Natural Resources Canada, has been in operation since 1974 and now provides long term and short term forecasts for three latitude regions of Canada. Research is needed on all aspects of the problem; from new information about solar eruptions for improving forecasting services; to understanding system response to disturbances. Research on geomagnetic disturbances is conducted by the Canadian Geomagnetic Forecasting Centre and a number of active groups at Canadian universities; while research on geomagnetic effects is conducted by affected industries, often in collaboration with the forecasting centre.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   

lol Yes we did have a slight reputation for being drunks and I certainly did my part for almost the whole 8 years I was in to uphold that reputation. That is up until I awoke with a woman who had teeth so bucked she could eat corn on the cob right through a picket fence. That was the last time I touched the sauce until I just had a heart attack and the doctor told me to drink one glass of red wine every night with dinner. I must say that after not having a drink for almost 20 years that one glass of wine did get me rather drunk. If I were female, I would be an ideal date lol.

Anyhow back to the subject at hand.

I am a psychologist by education, physics and astronomy is just a hobby, but, I do recall reading somewhere recently that the temperatures across the solar system have been increasing. We are supposedly coming out of a sown turn in solar activity, yet it would appear that this downturn is lingering around somewhat. I do not know if this is commonplace or if this is an isolated instance; however, typically when things vary from norm, change is in the air. I would not be surprised to see a very harsh period of strong activity from the sun now. I also don't know the effect of galactic the center on the sun but I would imagine that there would be stronger gravitational fields which would stretch the gaseous entities which would in the case of stars possibly increase magnetic activity and thus CME's and maybe even massive flares.

I never understood the influence of the galactic center very well; this is how I envision it, and I may be way off. If you took a plate and spin it at a constant speed and place a marble on it, there is a point where the marble wants to run off, this point is always in the same spot. I am assuming that the gravitational effect from the galactic center functions in a similar manner. This so called center is probably not a center at all, but more a runoff point of the gravitational field of the SMBH (super massive black hole) which resides at the center of our host galaxy. So it seems like as we pass through this zone, that we will see an increased gravitational influence upon our solar system and our star in particular.

This is just my own hypothesis and has absolutely no basis in fact.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by DarrylGalasso

I hate to disagree with you, but I think your theory actually does have some factual basis to it. Thanks for the analogy, it really helped me to understand the concept.

Notice any high altitude clouds wherever you are today?

And as you have mentioned that you are a psychologist, I have more questions for you - Do you believe that solar energy could have an impact on the neuro-electrical systems, causing rapid changes in mood or disposition?

From what I remember from psych 101, The brain is basically a complex biological computer and thus is probably susceptible to EM interference?

You were in the Navy - what happens when you stand in front of one of those massive radar domes, are there any specific health warnings about the safe operation of electronic jammers, or etc?

EDIT TO ADD:
According to SolarCycle24.com,

06/21/2009 by Kevin VE3EN at 12:00 Comment on Message Board A small new sunspot may be trying to form in the southern hemisphere of the sun. Later today we will find out if it will develop into anything of interest. For now solar activity continues at very low levels.

So uh... What if this isn't solar energy at all? Does the solar wind fluctuate so wildly when the sun is "quiet"?

Magnetosphere simulation from 20/06/09

Top left shows magnetic field lines around Earth. I think red is positive and blue is negative charge.

The top right image is the magnetosphere model. The black dot in the middle is Earth, and the colors around it represent the current size and shape of the magnetosphere. The colors get up to yellow/red/white when the density increases.

Imagine that the Earth is a ship traveling through an ocean of energy. The magnetospheric "bow of the ship". If the ocean is choppy, there are more fluctuations and the field changes. If the ocean is calm that is reflected in the magnetosphere.

The bottom left image shows terrestrial ionospheric convection.

The bottom right image is graphs for velocity, density, and field axises.

The data CAN clitch out if the simulator receives erroneous data or something exceeds its code. The simulation works on data received from the ACE statellite.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by RussianScientists I'm not a geologist currently, I'm an Earthquake and Weapons of Mass Destruction Consultant.

Okay you got MY attention.

Care to elaborate?

Just skimmed through the thread... A lot here I will need to come back too.. I sww the correction has been made, but here is the original source (because I had already dragged it up
)

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4040f5d9015e.jpg[/atsimg]

NASA APOD

Explanation: From the ground, spectacular auroras seem to dance high above. But the International Space Station (ISS) orbits at nearly the same height as many auroras, sometimes passing over them, and sometimes right through them. Still, the auroral electron and proton streams pose no direct danger to the ISS. In 2003, ISS Science Officer Don Pettit captured the green aurora, pictured above in a digitally sharpened image. From orbit, Pettit reported that changing auroras appeared to crawl around like giant green amoebas. Over 300 kilometers below, the Manicouagan Impact Crater can be seen in northern Canada, planet Earth.

BIG

apod.nasa.gov...

Now I will read the rest...

[edit on 21-6-2009 by zorgon]

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join