It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Father Arrested Over Request That School Doesn't Discuss Homosexual Marriage With His 5 Year Old

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I just watched a video showing the testimony of how a peaceful and civil discussion between the school and the parents of a 5 year old student resulted in the father being arrested. The parents had noticed that the school had given their child literature promoting homosexual marriage and was requesting that they be notified of future discussion of the topic so that they could make the choice of what their child was exposed to. Their request was refused and the school called the cops.

I think parents should be involved in the education of their children, especially when topics of such a controversial and morally sensitive subjects are being taught.

The schools are ACCOMMODATING the choices made by homosexual couples. I can understand that, but why can't they ACCOMMODATE the choices made by parents who choose to OPT OUT on their VERY YOUNG and IMPRESSIONABLE being exposed to the idea that homosexual marriage is normal?

Here's the video...
The Consequences of Homosexual Marriage

[edit on 20-6-2009 by LazyGuy]

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 06:19 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   
The video was too much of a sensationalist piece clearly made by those with an agenda.

Digging up an actual article at Arrested father had point to make shows that this is an old news article from April 2005. The event occurred in January 2005.

The man was arrested for Criminal Trespass after refusing to leave the principal's office when repeatedly asked.

According to the article...

''I chose to stay, which I'm not sure was a wise move," he said. ''But I wanted to see how far they would go for asking something simple."

Yeah, not a wise move at all!

When asked to leave, you leave and take your grievance to the media or to the lawyers. You don't commit Criminal Trespass!

Therefore, no sympathy.

However, I do agree that discussing gay marriage with 5 year olds in Kindergarten is far too young. I remember having to get signed release forms from my parents just to attend Sexual Education in my Senior year of High School when many of the kids in my class were already 18! You'd think the school would have gladly covered it's derriere with paper by asking for permission from the parents to discuss the topic to their children.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by LazyGuy
The schools are ACCOMMODATING the choices made by homosexual couples. I can understand that, but why can't they ACCOMMODATE the choices made by parents who choose to OPT OUT on their VERY YOUNG and IMPRESSIONABLE being exposed to the idea that homosexual marriage is normal?

Promoting the idea that homosexuality is abnormal simply perpetuates the violence and discrimination against gays. It's a fact of life, folks...some people are homosexual. This does not threaten you. It is best for kids to grow up with the perception that it is all part of the mystery of life...and nothing to get all het up about.

This is how my kids feel about cultural diversity. It is how they feel about gender and sexuality. I'm pleased that neither is a big deal to them, and the earth would be a better place if everybody followed suit.

The original post? The parent was popped for trespass...let's not spin it into something else. Thanks to fraterormas for doing the research on this and chilling out the homophobes.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by fraterormus

Thanks for fleshing out the details on the story. I hadn't realized it came from 2005.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   
whether this was from yesterday or from 2005 the School should have covered their Arse with parental consent to talk about it in school. And what gives the school the right to even talk to a 5 year old kid about homosexuals? IT IS NOT THE SCHOOLS PLACE TO DISCUSS THESE TYPES OF ISSUES WITH THE KIDS IT IS THE PARENTS PLACE!!!!!!

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

Promoting the idea that homosexuality is abnormal simply perpetuates the violence and discrimination against gays. It's a fact of life, folks...some people are homosexual. This does not threaten you. It is best for kids to grow up with the perception that it is all part of the mystery of life...and nothing to get all het up about.

This is how my kids feel about cultural diversity. It is how they feel about gender and sexuality. I'm pleased that neither is a big deal to them, and the earth would be a better place if everybody followed suit.

The original post? The parent was popped for trespass...let's not spin it into something else. Thanks to fraterormas for doing the research on this and chilling out the homophobes.

NO NO NO, you can have your kids exposed to the Homosexual lifestyle all you want but a parent trying to monitor the education their child receives is not wrong. I was not taught about homosexual unions and I never beat one up. Sexual education belongs in the 6th or 7th grade whether the children are smart or not. I have family that are gay, the choice they made on their own, i did not encourage or discourage it. All the homosexuals are where they are now and were not taught any of this stuff in school so. If anything is to be taught it should be procreation and no more."Promoting the idea that homosexuality is abnormal simply perpetuates the violence and discrimination against gays" You may be right but why is teaching it in school o.k? People are people and we make choices based on what we have learned from our parents and our teachers. Our children are just that our children, not yours, and parents should retain the rights to monitor and censor what they are being taught.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mercenary2007And what gives the school the right to even talk to a 5 year old kid about homosexuals? IT IS NOT THE SCHOOLS PLACE TO DISCUSS THESE TYPES OF ISSUES WITH THE KIDS IT IS THE PARENTS PLACE!!!!!!

How do we qualify 'discussion'? Sure it's wrong to get into details of sexual relations on any kind of a clinical level...gay or straight...with kids of that age. But to make reference to a child with 'two mommies or daddies'...is not about to turn a kid 'queer', you know.

But it will make a kid from a same-sex union feel a whole lot more like a part of society. I can't see how that's bad.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mercenary2007
IT IS NOT THE SCHOOLS PLACE TO DISCUSS THESE TYPES OF ISSUES WITH THE KIDS IT IS THE PARENTS PLACE!!!!!!

I totally agree. A school is to provide an education. They should stick to teaching reading, writing and arithmetic. Sexual tenancies should be classified with religion as a subject that can't be taught.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mercenary2007
IT IS NOT THE SCHOOLS PLACE TO DISCUSS THESE TYPES OF ISSUES WITH THE KIDS IT IS THE PARENTS PLACE!!!!!!

I totally agree. A school is to provide an education. They should stick to teaching reading, writing and arithmetic. Sexual tenancies should be classified with religion as a subject that can't be taught.

Anybody actually watch that video? It's full of alarmist poo and scary music. Parez Hilton is as much a spokesman for Gay America as Paris Hilton is for the straight set. For every little old lady who is trounced upon by evil gays, how many Rev. Fred Phelps are there representing Christians?

Among these dreaded "Consequences of Homosexuality": the spokesperson for 'normal' values...erstwhile Miss America...is up there with her plastic boobs...bought and paid for by the pageant; lawyers are penalized for not learning the Law, secular JP's are being told their duties by the state...oh, Hellzapoppin'!

The book in question is about diversity, and introduces children to the concept of 'same-sex households.' So what? It's a fact of life, and why should kids not be made aware of the fact that there are many forms of household out there...not all like them. This same debate went on over racially mixed marriages.

No place in school? This is not sex ed! The reason you send kids to school in the first place is to socialize them. School is not just the three 'R's. Dad said he was not going to move until accomodation was made...so he was warned, and arrested because he refused to leave. "To make a long story short...", indeed.

If Dad don't like it, move schools; if the JPs don't like it, quit. Move on or get out of the way.

My kids are colour blind. My son's best friend has 2 moms. He doesn't care...it doesn't register unless somebody else makes a big deal of it. He finds such attention pathetic...I'm proud of him.

Get real, people. You're not doing your kids any favours by imprinting your stereotypical prejudice upon them. Instead, you're perpetuating ignorance and misery...not just against Gays, but their kids as well. That ain't what I call spreading the love of Christ. There are a lot worse things happening to Western Society than Gay Rights...y'all would be serving your children better by seeking out and mitigating some of them, instead.

[edit on 22-6-2009 by JohnnyCanuck]

top topics

join