It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Big Bang" Collider set for Autumn Restart

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   

"Big Bang" Collider set for Autumn Restart

www.reuters.com

GENEVA (Reuters) - The giant sub-atomic particle collider built to reproduce "Big Bang" conditions is set to restart this autumn, the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN) said on Friday.

Scientists believe they have figured out how to prevent a repeat of the problems that caused the 10 billion Swiss franc ($9.2 billion) Large Hadron Collider to be shut down just nine days after it was switched on last September, CERN expert Steve Myers said in a statement.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Hold onto your hats people here we go again.

I don't know what's more interesting, the actual experiments and the results, or the media hype and internet debate regarding the imminent end ot the world!

It truly is very exciting though, I just hope we get to hear the actual results, especially if they turn out to be controversial.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 20-6-2009 by kiwifoot]

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Do you know LHC is detectable from space? Some of the particles created penetrate and escape. A smaller operation is operating in the United States and is victim to countless UFO sightings.

Thought it this is an interesting fact to share with you

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by infinite

Really, that's cool, might be worth a trip over there for when they finally crank it up to full volume.

Thanks for sharing that.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   

That's fascinating, Infinite. Do you by any chance have some articles on that so I can read more about it? It's a little out there but I'm curious if they are capable of opening portals.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I was talking today to a professor of physics who has been headhunted to lead a research team at Basel university and was trying to get him to tell me what was so special about this Higgs Boson particle that's worth spending all these billions to try to discover and all he would do was say "It's not my area of physics" (although the timing of his moving to Switzerland seems a bit convenient) and change the subject. It's made me even more curious that I already was. They must be trying to discover either a new power source or a new weapon (or both). I'll be keeping a close eye on this project for my own curiosity if nothing else.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by yellowbeard

Courtesy of Wiki. . . The Higgs boson is a massive scalar elementary particle predicted to exist by the Standard Model in particle physics. At present there are no known fundamental scalar particles in nature.

The Higgs boson is the only Standard Model particle that has not yet been observed. Experimental detection of the Higgs boson would help explain the origin of mass in the universe. More specifically, the Higgs boson would explain the difference between the massless photon, which mediates electromagnetism, and the massive W and Z bosons, which mediate the weak force. If the Higgs boson exists, it is an integral and pervasive component of the material world.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by mikerussellus

In other words, time, gravity, mass/space.

Einsteins' E=MC2 would fundamentally change of it were shown that C (constant, see speed of light) wasn't, and if M (mass) was more of a variable than we originally thought.

[edit on 20-6-2009 by mikerussellus]

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD

That's fascinating, Infinite. Do you by any chance have some articles on that so I can read more about it? It's a little out there but I'm curious if they are capable of opening portals.

I read that it may cause tiny black holes. Scientists believe that if indeed it does, that they would only last about a nano-nano-nanosecond. WOW...

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikerussellus
If the Higgs boson exists,

It's an awfully big and expensive project for an IF it exists, especially in view of the fact there are other smaller Hadron Colliders already looking.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by yellowbeard

Don't know enough to either argue for or against, but I can tell you that to better understand the mechanics of the property of matter is to know/manipulate the same.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD

Its from the ufo hunters show;

Season three, Ep#309, "UFO Surveillance"

"The team analyzes videos and eyewitness accounts that suggest a strong UFO presence at two of America's top research facilities; Brookhaven National Laboratory on New York's Long Island, and Lawrence Livermore Laboratory in Northern California"

www.history.com...

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by kiwifoot

That has to be a typo or something, there's no way they would actually think re-creating the big bang is a good idea.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by desertdreamer

I read that it may cause tiny black holes. Scientists believe that if indeed it does, that they would only last about a nano-nano-nanosecond. WOW...

nano-nano, hey that sounds like "Mork from Ork"! Just kidding hehe.

Seriously, not all scientists agree on that, I will post more details later. CERN/LHC project did they're own safety studies, which is like big pharma doing they're own drug safety studies.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticPerhaps
reply to post by kiwifoot

That has to be a typo or something, there's no way they would actually think re-creating the big bang is a good idea.

Well that's the plan my friend, except in a controlled environment on a much snaller level.

If you're worried have a look here:

The safety of the LHC.

Although that is from the people doing the experimant!

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Oh come on people, everyone knows the LHC is actually a tool to help devise a time machine or portal that can transfer particles from one end of the solar system to the other.

It was successfull eventually and the UFOs from future time that frequent the vicinity of the colliders are the proof that somewhere in our known future they manage to get it working for more than a couple of weeks, without earth being consumed by a man made black hole.

Clever people these scientists.

respects

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by 1SawSomeThings

Yes, please post more if you have it.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Thats a cool little titbit

Could you direct me to somewhere I can learn more about this plz?

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by desertdreamer

OK here's a website that concentrates some of the info., and introduces the plaintiffs in a lawsuit to require further safety studies before the CERN LHC (large hadron collider) gets up to full power (CERN is the EU scientific entity conducting the study). There are also several threads on ATS that address the issue.

The experiment will collide protons or lead nuclei traveling at 99.9999991% of the speed of light (299,792,458 m/s) head-on.

new topics

top topics

join