It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We need to shut down ATS

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by silencer
I meant, if shutting down the site is too extreme, then an alternate is to use it only for communication.

OR, perhaps THAT and the free exchange of ideas, opinions, personal ideals and information related to that which concerns you.

IMO. ATS is, has and will always be a Venue as opposed to a Platform.

A free & open Venue to share or discuss ideals and opinions as opposed to a Platform from which to launch one's agenda or cause.

$.02

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by silencer

And our common denominator is this spirit .. motivation known!!!

I look at this site as the penultimate messenger.
Minus his horse or sailing vessel.

A joining of like minds makes for a strong voice and forceful approach.
Communication via ATS allows this juncture.

Peace...

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   

I am glad to see so many people replying and defending this site. The fact that you stand up to defend this site and hence your rights shows there is still hope. This is what I am talking about. We need something as extreme as shutting this site to get people to stand and say NO

See all the energy you guys have, now lets use it!!! power to the people

Don't take my post the wrong way. I'm not defending this site. I do like this site and it has given me hours of enjoyment. But if it shut down then it wouldn't be the end of my world. I would find something else that entertains me.

1. If I want to talk to people who share a passion for the things I enjoy, then I would go to the local biker bar.

2. If I wanted to hear people rant and rave then I would play Halo 3 on my 360 and listen to little kids shout obsenities into my earpiece.

3. If I wanted to listen to people who have massive egos then I would play my madden game.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by chapter29

But if we shut the site down, how or where should we go to get the news and information to assist us in taking action, not to mention the communication factor..?

Using ATS as communication? You do know "they" read ATS also?

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by jd140

Well that could be part of your problem...

Playing too many games.

I take what is posted and discussed here at ATS very seriously some times depending on what the topic is. I do however believe that because of the openness in our collective societies not just the US but all members from countries from around the world. There is a very real danger of letting go of sensitive military secrets.

The very nature of ATS is to expose the truth. Sometimes this means topics that usually are not covered in other forums are discussed openly here and information that is not normally known or discussed by the masses may be released.

Just a thought.

[edit on 20-6-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
How about quit looking to more regulations and more net-nannying and leave the site alone?

For those of us who DO get out there and do something ATS offers a place for respite and encouragement - socializing with those who share the same opinions (sometimes)...

For those who don’t *do* anything - without ATS they'd just find another diversion to make them feel like they've really accomplished something when all they've done is waste time.

It’s opinions like this (and actions taken on them) that just teach the sheep to wait for someone else to control their lives, deny them, force them...

Quite teaching the sheep to conform.

EDIT: Hey Slayer! What you doin up there! Get down!

[edit on 20-6-2009 by silo13]

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

No, that thought never came to mind whaaa...

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Great points OP. I do see what you mean by taking away all the means we have to vent our frustration. Then once we dont have anything to defuse it then it builds and build and builds, until we have had enough and get off of our lazy, fat, rearends and actually do something real.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I just come here to look at the pretty pictures.

But really, "Silencer", YOU GO FIRST! Let us all know how much active protesting, demonstrating, congressional correspondence, funding, meditation, teaching that you have done.

I am from the Woodstock generation. We all said "no mo' war! Look at us now. I would hazard a guess that most who were in the Peace Movement in the 60's tossed their sandals and now wear Florsheims (with argyle socks, no less) (some even want war!). Where are you now, brothers and sisters? I'm not too old to picket for my causes and I still do. Yes, it looks really bad now. I'm not imagining it either. War is still our way (mostly because the humans are not ready for peace). Worldwide economy is on the brink. The earth turns more toxic each day, and may be unable to adapt enough to sustain vegetable or animal life.

I am building a house (from recycled materials) in the distant mountains. My well and power are available. I have food and means of self defense.

ATS is one of the most valuable sites on the net for many reasons.

PS: ET... if you're listening and you are peaceful, c'mon down but wear protection. We crucified the last guy you sent. Please forgive my humor if it offends.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Another Vodka

Are Florsheims even cool to wear anymore? You just gave me flashbacks to the 80's.

I think the OP's point was not so much about literally shutting the sight down, but about getting off our behinds and working with others to reshape the world as opposed to all staying hidden in our houses and whining and complaining about the state of the world.

[edit on 20-6-2009 by grapesofraft]

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Free discussion is what gives ATS what is has. I don't know man, I wouldn't change anything about it. Sure there are focuses, the most popular threads, spotlighted things, but really the discussion is unlimited. I read opinions that surprise me, things I would never think of, and things I find myself agreeing with quite often. It's this open discussion that separates it from the mindless MSM, talking points, dumbed down information, propaganda. Thoughtfulness and discussion.

Instead of listening to the same news story hour after hour. This would be impossible without all the discussion, and the ease at which anyone can chime in. It's hard enough to be informed, ATS is probably one of the most time effective ways to be informed especially if you get your "breaking news" here. Just spend a little time on the breaking news forum and you'd be much better off than just watching MSM, because they discuss MSM stories there as well. A lot of the rest of the site is for entertainment, but it's entertainment that goes well along with opening your mind and denying ignorance, so yeah.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Some of my favorite posts were directed to the TPTB. I know because I made some of them.

Although I can empathise with your claim I also know that I am guilty of being less active than some but we all have our strenghts and our vulnerabilities.

Yu may be a great technician, and I may be an interesting writer, we all have different qualities to bring to the table here and if you jhave stayed on the forum as long as your profile shows then you also know that we do have many activists here doing just what you state cannot be accomplished while devoting time on the boards.

Even I have stepped out of my comfort zones during my time here to talk with and attempt to influence the politicians in my area. I would bet my bottom dollar that we have congress and senators even higher ups than them that read and listen to the discussions.

Just because I check in at least twice a day and spend many many full days on the forums, does not mean I am not active and doing my part. Nope no way.

I love this forum and if it was taken from us, I would band together once again with all of my 'friends' here including the Three Amigo's and continue on, because at the end of the day what we are doing here is very important and has a direct influence in circles beyond your understanding.

Remember the Revolution? You have not even begun to get what it represents for the future in communication technologies.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I have a pair deep in my closet, waiting for me to be invited to a formal affair.

Yes, I understand. We must vocalize, write, post, twitter and live change.

You may have heard this but did you know a hangover is the wrath of grapes?

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Another Vodka
I have a pair deep in my closet, waiting for me to be invited to a formal affair.

Yes, I understand. We must vocalize, write, post, twitter and live change.

You may have heard this but did you know a hangover is the wrath of grapes?

I hate to admit it but I probably have a pair or two stashed somewhere in my house.

LOL, not only did I hear that, there have been years of my life that were proof that the wrath of grapes are a hangover.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Yeah god forbid I do something strictly for entertainment value like play a game.

Somethings here can be informative. The whole we need a revolution thing is a lost cause on this site. To many people talking about it and nobody actually doing anything and maybe one or two will ever do anything about it.

Hard to take it these people seriously when you know they are all talk.

No for me this is mostly entertainment. After all, I disagree with most people on this site, why would I come back if I took it as anything more then entertainment?

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   
SLAYER69 Wrote:

I take what is posted and discussed here at ATS very seriously some times depending on what the topic is. I do however believe that because of the openness in our collective societies not just the US but all members from countries from around the world. There is a very real danger of letting go of sensitive military secrets.

Right on SLAYER my friend, and I love the fact that we do maintain the ability to be more than just mouthpieces for attention. I ran into the MOST interesting person in Sedona that showed me his credentials and everything, but had FARTOO much inside info for me to ever devulge. I asked him if there was any truth to the rumors about UFO's seen in the middle east and he (crypto) laid it on me... No way...

[edit on 20-6-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by silencer

I'll bite.

Don't let my flaming bring u down brutha....as I am just going to wear my feelings on my sleeve.

No pun intended.

But mind your business. You heard me.

Just another person trying to tell me what to think....and what to do.

Quite embarrasing actually, as I find your post to be hypocritical.
You seems to come across as a person who thinks they are smarter than most people. That's your first fallacy.
I was checking out your profile.....as I do my homework too bucko....and you're a pieca work.
Now I'm gonna put holes in all of your sciences.
Let's begin.

you started a thread: Hypocricy @ it's Finest
www.belowtopsecret.com...
First line: You all are hypocrites and you know it
You're not challenging anyone but yourself. In the thread you rant on how people are wrong & lousy and greedy, and how *perk of how they should spend their money.
Again, mind your business. My wallet is no concern of yours....
Tell me, how much of your paycheck goes to homeless?
Charity?
Causes?
That's what I thought....

Another thread: Create Your Own Belovent Secret Society
www.abovetopsecret.com...
First off... Why would you promote something you speak so carefully against? Of secrets against others.......Congratulations.
Where can I make a donation.?

Gitmo related thread: www.abovetopsecret.com...

tell us Silencer? Did u actually (take action) & protest this one, or are you just "as" bad & lazy stupid as people you like to label members of ATS?
Care to provide us with proof?

ANother: I Await the Arrival of the Anti-Christ (I saw some potential here)
edit to add -->www.abovetopsecret.com...
but ya screwed up with this line: """The elites are the guys who cheat, steal, murder and do all the 'bad' things, yet they are the Gods who control the world."""
Hmmmm>? cuz above you wrote:""Some of the people at ATS are very old members. They have come across every kind of conspiracy there is. Infact, I think it's safe to say that 99% of the members here believe the 'World is run by bankers' conspiracy, wanna get rid of the FED and cause a revolution. The fact is that it will never happen.""
Doesn't add up, does it?
Or, perhaps you had a change of heart?

Another thread: How Can Anyone Believe in God
WoW. Bashing religion......for no good reason....or well, because of the proof issue. I agree. It's why I don't believe in it...anymore.
But why go and sh*t on someone's lawn? Dirty dog you....
You're full of animosity.....towards other people....why? I don't know man...

Let's continue.

Talking smack about America & how Americans need to "get a grip."
Some americans need to get a grip on reality!
"""I like your 2nd post on that thread btw...Just as it seems, most Americans reading this post will guess that this thread creator is a " d!ck from UK, moron from france, Nazi from Hitlerland, islamo fascist, anit-american jihadi, freedom hater from China, loather of richest nation from Africa, scum in Latin America, stinky sh!t from Russia, leftist from Cuba "...the list is endless
this kinda sh*t really chaps my hide. I wasn't even born in this country and yes....I would die for it. I enlisted in active duty in 95.
I really hope your not in this country, and from another....people such as yourself take this country for granted for the most part..Atleast we have the RIGHT to protest, organize, and all you mentioned on OP.
Why don't you consider living in a tribe then.like Africa....wear no clothes..
run around do what you want, anytime.....and you don't even have to pay taxes buddy. You'll fit right in.
If you don't like the US....GTFO!!!
Simple as that.

I could continue to put you on the spot with your prior threads, but I'll cut it short. It's almost lunchtime. What? You wanna tell me what to eat too?

Listen. Never underestimate anyone.
When I was younger....I boxed. Number one rule: NEVER go into the ring thinking what that person is going to do to you, but rather what you're going to do to him.
.The other golden rule: Never fight anyone you don't know. (the quiet one is always the most dangerous....remember that)
I mean.......you're just asking for it here. I'm sorry.....but brutally honest about it.
People might find my post repugnant. Too bad.
I'm a scrapper @ heart.

As for the end of the world, blah blah blah.....perhaps your life is just as significant as a squirrel getting run over by a car. Ya...dude.
When the time is right. The world will know who I am. Trust me.
Maybe not. But atleast I'll know what I'm made of @ the end of the day.
You.? You dwell on other people.
Talking all this stuff here, but I would bet my left jewel you would be one of the first people holding out your hand looking for charity, the second you feel you can't continue with "the struggle."

Ahh yes....Cops are bad.....laws are bad....everyone's evil.
So you would prefer anarchy? No laws? What?
So the strongest survive? Prey on the weak?
Everyone fends for themselves?

Nice logic. Yet, still doesn't add up to your OP>
Catch my drift yet....

As for shutting down ATS and utilize as a "communication" tool.
Again, self centered. Maybe people come here for entertainment purposes, ever think about that? Ya nazi.

As for communicating anything when SHTF? You really think people are going to be coming here to communicate?

Share thoughts the birds and the bees......gimme a break......
They're going to be scrounging for a loaf of bread, maybe trying to feed their family instead. Not WASTING THEIR time as you put it so eloquently.....

The only action I'll be taking is watching my back for scavengers such as yourself.

Ahhhh..I know. I'm a pr*ck. But atleast I'm original. And true to my game.
Yeah we can even scrap..fine.....but the difference is I'll buy ya a drink aftawards.....to prove that Im human.

Beatens are what made me tougher anyway. Take some punches....and try to listen to other a little more respectfully in the future.
It might be the best tool you ever applied to yourself chief.
Have a listen.
Even the bad stuff. You'll become a better person, and develop a bit more wit....and insight of how this world goes around my friend.

Another thing silencer..."The authority of the state over its people, resides in its war powers."
Unfortunetaly this is how history has recorded itself over the ages, and how the world turns today. < Whether you want to fundamentally accept it or not, that's entirely up to you."

Now. PLease. Why don't you back your words up and let us all (here on ATS) know what actions YOU've taken so far to pursue your causes.
Give us some proof.....and I might just consider listening to your crybaby rants.

Have a nice day.

[edit on 21-6-2009 by Ben Niceknowinya]

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Faiol

Can't change the world?

I think you should study up on the basic nature of complexity and emergence. Our society, our world... is a highly complex system composed of a multitude of other complex systems... economies, politics, resources, etc. Even down to the chemical level or beyond to the cosmic/solar system level. One of the fascinating properties of a complex system is that they are, simultaneously, both highly resistant to change and yet high fragile. You could interact with the system a hundred times and never cause major change, and yet... the identical interaction on a new try may cause radical change and fluctuation in the trends which follow.

This is why nobody can make a difference, and yet - one man can change the world. For example... how many different people have claimed to be messiahs? How many have given their claimed direct revelation of god to the masses - only to be ignored? Thousands upon thousands who's names are lost to history... who's names are lost to current events. Yet (regardless of if he was a factual or fictitious character) - it took one messiah character -Jesus Christ- to profoundly change the future of the world. This is something we can all agree upon... no matter the denomination or religion they subscribe to. There's others as well. Moses, Mohammad, Buddha, Zoroaster, etc. They've all changed the world profoundly, and unless all of the originators of all of the religions are all correct in their assertions - and so long as we have multiple different practicing religions, you cannot truly ascribe their success to outside or divine intervention.

One man CAN change the world.

And for anyone who thinks this may be hopeful for the fight against "TPTB" - complexity wouldn't really allow for the grand messianic conspiracies which often propagate here. "TPTB" is merely a blanket term for certain groups or individuals, which are always changing - and their motives are changing - both individually, at the corporation level, and with new leaders. However, ideas and inspirations are a complex system of information within this system themselves - and can be malleable, rigid, or highly successful - and then die as they simply fall out of favor without full implementation. You cannot truly predict which memes will endure, and which will fail with any real certainty.

[edit on 20-6-2009 by Lasheic]

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   

I think it's safe to say that 99% of the members here believe the 'World is run by bankers' conspiracy, wanna get rid of the FED and cause a revolution.

No, I dont think its safe to say that, silencer.

What made you come up with this 99%? -- and BTW, I sincerely doubt that over 5% of ATSers would want to cause a revolution, no matter where they live. How you deduced this figure is beyond me, perhaps your attempts to generalize are very deliberate

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   
[edit on 6/20/2009 by silencer]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join