It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Employees of Japan Finance Ministry Arrested in Italy Trying To Smuggle 134 Billion in US Treasuries

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Yes, these bonds are real.

They are trying to redeem them for less than face value in secret, because if 100 some billion in treasury certificates goes on sale all at once, their price will drop.

They are trying to get a return on their investment.

I have also heard that it is part of a CIA black op.

That they were attempting to sell the bonds secretly, while keeping the appearance of "Faith" in the current monetary system (Dollar backed Reserve) in order to further fund their power base in Japan.

They = Rockefeller sided regime in Japan.

-Edrick

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Sorry to have to invade this second thread on this subject. There has been a lot of misreporting on this story, in part a result of the unclear original reports from Italy.

Unless something radically new comes to the surface, these are bearer bonds which means that can be deposited and accredited at face value to anyone without them having an assigned owner.

But bonds of these astronomical magnitude are always assigned and registered with the Treasury. There are no paper versions anyone can just cash.

There have been a number of attempts coming out of the Philippines to try to con people or groups to buy these fantastically huge bonds at deep discount prices with accompanying stories of how they were found in the hands of dismantled governments. The most recent one was in Texas in 2008.

As the thought of carrying around the value of an entire major country in the bottom of a suitcase begs disbelief when for security purposes this scale of banking transaction would be done by wire through official channels, it's difficult not to conclude these fakes of non-existent documentation are part of a scam.

There will continue to be conflicting often erroneous stories and speculations on this.

Mike

[edit on 20-6-2009 by mmiichael]

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   
So is it against International law to dump US Bonds? I don't think so. Italian law probably required a declaration, but that's about it.

If the US treasury is printing money like crazy, doesn't it make sense to dump US bonds that will lose most of their market value in the future.

When hyper inflation hits you'll wish you had spent your saved money on a tangible asset.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
I'm sorry. I know that many are eager to accept that the bonds were fakes. But really.

500 Million and 1 Billion dollar US bearer bonds are not something you can simply use in business. They were real, and the story is true. The damn elites are once again trying to secure profit out of the destruction of the common economy.

Only banks, financial institutions and government-sized corporations use these bonds.

Yep and what better way to sink an economy of a state you want to see drown than to give them counterfeit bonds...

It makes sense to me...

OR in an attempt to dissuade others from buying the real ones because of the threat of confidence that the counterfeits bring...

[edit on 20-6-2009 by HunkaHunka]

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

Yep and what better way to sink an economy of a state you want to see drown than to give them counterfeit bonds...

It makes sense to me...

OR in an attempt to dissuade others from buying the real ones because of the threat of confidence that the counterfeits bring...

Any individual, organization, or government routinely validates large bonds or has their bank do it for them before making payment. Certified receipts and recordings of transactions are how these things are done. Not issued like gigantic multimillion dollar money orders.

Mike

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   
All the conflicting reports on this story hurts my brain.

Italian mafia, Filipino counterfeiters, the Japanese government...

I want to believe that the Japanese government would have had a better way to get the money where it needed to go. Don't they have a diplomatic pouch or something?

Maybe they didn't feel any other method was available that could prevent the USA from finding out what they were up to? Is it even possible to dump the bonds without the USA knowing?

If it was counterfeiters...how do they scam people into buying these? I mean, I would be pretty damn sure before buying a piece of paper some guy tells me is worth millions and millions of dollars.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   
The source here is questionable and I cant find another source on this news. However it doesnt make it not true. The silence on this issue when it comes to the US media speaks volumes because generally on issues like this there is a reason why they're silent. The implications on this is no good whether they are real or fake and if they were really Japanese dumping the dollar behind the scenes or not. This is not good. The government will try to come up with the rosiest picture to salvage our dollar but this is really getting to be crazy. So much for free press...

[edit on 20-6-2009 by tjeffersonsghost]

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nickmare
I want to believe that the Japanese government would have had a better way to get the money where it needed to go. Don't they have a diplomatic pouch or something?

Maybe they didn't feel any other method was available that could prevent the USA from finding out what they were up to? Is it even possible to dump the bonds without the USA knowing?

If it was counterfeiters...how do they scam people into buying these? I mean, I would be pretty damn sure before buying a piece of paper some guy tells me is worth millions and millions of dollars.

There are a dozen ways the Japanese could graduate or proxy a massive cashing in of US bonds. But they would not be stupid enough to put the funds at the bottom of a suitcase. It would be impossible for the US not to know immediately something was going on when a Swiss bank or whoever called to validate them.

Scammers typically contact wealthy groups with stories of discovering the bonds but having problems due to political conflicts. They try to sell or trade them for pennies on the dollar or use them as leverage for credit or loans.

This particular attempt was poorly thought out because anyone knowledgeable would realize the magnitude would raise alarm bells everywhere.

Mike

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by mmiichael

Why do you think these are bearer bonds. I have seen you say this before and have yet to figure out why you say this. Nowhere (that I've seen) says these instruments were bearer bonds. All the news has been about them being U.S. Treasury bonds.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by mmiichael

There are a dozen ways the Japanese could graduate or proxy a massive cashing in of US bonds. But they would not be stupid enough to put the funds at the bottom of a suitcase. It would be impossible for the US not to know immediately something was going on when a Swiss bank or whoever called to validate them.

Except that the Swiss would not be able to, by Swiss law, divulge the identity of the person/government selling them.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Do you really believe that the word 'dump' implies as in 'to drop in a trashcan' or 'bury in a dumpster'?
In that case you are absolutely correct. They should have just thrown them in the furnace back home.
Hmmm. I see the makings of a great mystery here. Conspiracy fans, any ideas?
What is going on that the Japanese can no longer trust their own garbage cans?

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Very good question.
but, as is, the Feds can say things like 'the only images they have seen have been on the net'

Should they actually send Federal agents to Italy to investigate they would be unable to stall by pleading ignorance and might be forced to provide some straight answers. Isn't it much easier and more convenient this way?
Just a theory but can you think of a more logical explanation for not sending people to investigate?

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   
OK, here we go....

I was into this story a while back when it first came out, but now it appears that these bonds are fake.

"What’s more, the package of bonds was said to include "Kennedy" bonds worth $1 billion each. "There is no such thing as a Kennedy bond," Meyerhardt said. Most important, the total of Treasury paper "bearer" bonds outstanding is a mere $105 million, he said. The Treasury has been issuing bonds solely in electronic form since 1986, although a relative handful of investors never bothered to convert their bearer bonds to electronic form."

External Link

On a side note, I would not beleive anything that the odious little twerp, Hal Turner, says.

[edit on 20/6/09 by DeepCoverUK]

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by DeepCoverUK

You see, that's what you get for believing everything you read. There is such a thing as Kennedy bonds:

en.wikipedia.org...

On June 4, 1963, John F Kennedy signed Executive Order No. 11110. This gave the U.S. Treasury the power "to issue silver certificates against any silver bullion, silver, or standard silver dollars in the Treasury." This meant that for every ounce of silver in the U.S. Treasury's vault, the government could introduce new money into circulation. This gave the U.S. government back its power to issue currency, while stripping the Federal Reserve's power to loan money to the government at interest.[62] If enough of those silver certificates were to come into circulation they would have eliminated the demand for Federal Reserve notes. Executive Order No. 11110 is still valid.[63]

The silver certificates that were issues per Executive Order 11110 were called ... Kennedy bonds.

Also, the bonds that were involved here were NOT bearer bonds... they were U.S. Treasury Bonds.

Edit to add link.

[edit on 20/6/2009 by Iamonlyhuman]

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Well, thanks for relaying us what the LA Times was told by Steve Meyerhardt, (spokesman for the US Treasury's Bureau of Public Debt). Except, it is dated two days before the OP. Doesn't that 'say' something? Perhaps we should not allow ourselves to be too 'sold' on the MSM message when they hadn't even sent an agent of the US in to look at the bonds.

I worry that mis or dis information is like a cancer.

Perhaps this is the great big 'nothing' that our government is reporting to the press. I'm not ready to buy it. I'm not closed to the idea, just reticent to accept that what happened ended in the two "perpetrators" being 'set free' along with the evidence.

Speculation about the Italian smuggling case involving $134 billion in purported U.S. Treasury bonds may have been fun while it lasted, but the Treasury Department says today the bonds are bogus.

"They’re obvious fakes," said Steve Meyerhardt, a spokesman for the Treasury's Bureau of Public Debt in Washington.

Two Japanese men were detained by Italian authorities last week after they were caught trying to enter Switzerland with what appeared to be $134 billion in U.S. Treasury bonds in a suitcase.

[edit on 20-6-2009 by Maxmars]

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Actually, now, because of what Meyerhardt said, I'm convinced that Treasury is lying. Let me explain.

"What’s more, the package of bonds was said to include "Kennedy" bonds worth $1 billion each. "There is no such thing as a Kennedy bond," Meyerhardt said.

True. BUT everyone knows that Kennedy Bonds are the common name for silver certificates created by Executive Order 11110 by John F. Kennedy. They are not legally named Kennedy Bonds, but their common name is Kennedy Bonds. He knows this.

Most important, the total of Treasury paper "bearer" bonds outstanding is a mere $105 million, he said. The Treasury has been issuing bonds solely in electronic form since 1986, although a relative handful of investors never bothered to convert their bearer bonds to electronic form."

True again. BUT the bonds involved in this instance ARE NOT bearer bonds, they are U.S. Treasury Bonds. He knows this.

So... why would he be making comments like this? He is not technically lying but he most certainly is misleading. He knows this too.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by tjeffersonsghost

I agree that the source is questionable. The lack of MSM coverage is worrying. And the conflicting stories tell me that there is something that is being covered up. If the bonds are real then that means that Japan has lost confidence in the dollar and are dumping behind the scenes. The dollar will be toast of that is true.

Glenn Beck is talking about this story and is just about the only one in the MSM asking why the government is silent about this and why there has been no coverage.

[edit on 6/20/2009 by Erasurehead]

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I saw a thread here a while ago on this topic.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

At first I thought it was very likely true after reading the releases from the Italian police.

It is suspicious that it took a long time for anyone official to come forward to state whether they were fake or not.

Executive order 11110 allowed the treasury to issue upto $4.29 billion in silver certificates, nowhere near as much as is being talked about here.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Guess I'll jump in with MY 2 cents' worth.

Some of the bonds confiscated were real, some of them were ""fake", but only in the sense that they were (essentially) "worthless".

Explanation:

This was all a part of a massive international, inter-governmental Fencing operation.

That $134.5 billion (US) worth of bonds was intended to be exchanged for "Hard" currency (possibly: Gold? Hence the Swiss destination?) of some lesser value, say $0.25-$0.40 cents on the dollar: in other words, Fenced.

Therefore, one could say that the vast majority of the bonds siezed "had no value", since their value would be "discounted" as a part of the fencing transaction. And if the bond's "real" value is $0, despite its "face' value, then the bond could be said to be "fake", just another word for "not real", which is just another way of saying "a forgery", right?

Government "double-speak" is a fascinating thing, isn't it?

Now, typically, a fenced item is something that cannot be "openly" sold on the regular market, due to the fact that it was either illicitly obtained, or that it is, itself, an illicit item.

One of the reasons fencing is used is to make the procedes of the transaction "untraceable".

Now why would the the US government, the ostensible guarantor of the bonds in question, want to "launder" such securities so badly that it would accept a fence-rate discount?

Who was being paid off?

And for what?

Curious, the happenings in Iran of late, no?

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 05:37 PM
link   
First off, this article is from Turner and, therefore, probably false, wrong, or somehow twisted. That being said, if I were the Japanese government looking to do what this article purports they were looking to do, why wouldn't I send the bonds to Switzerland in a safer fashion. Possibly, with Japanese officials with diplomatic immunity who would not be subject to detention by the Italian Police. Or, why not go straight to Switzerland with the bonds?
Why hasn't this been circulating through the foreign press. It is very possible I've missed it but I would think it would have been in Pravda (a russian newspaper) by now. I believe there is a very good chance that America is in deep # and what Turner's article is saying might come to be but that doesn't mean he is reporting the truth.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join