It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US city demands FaceSpaceGooHoo log-ins from job seekers

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   
"i don't use those websites."

"That's not me, I have no idea."

"Must be some wacko ex of mine that stole my picture....."

"I don't have any idea who it is. Why don't you get a warrant?"

"I'll show you mine, you show me yours. You first."

"Why?...Okay, for the job but WHY for the job?"

"Sorry, the FBI says I should never give out my internet passwords. It makes me libel."

"No."

"You wanna do a strip search to?"

"Are you on crack?"

"No and I'm not going to give you the key to my house either."

"LOL! Are you related to Orson Wells? lol"

"You want to see the pictures on my cell phone to?"

"I have an uncle who works for the IRS as an auditor and he told me to tell you that your upsetting him."

(Don't say anything. Just give a blank stare.)

"I have no idea. I was using an email provider that went out of business so now I have no way to retrieve what ever the password is. Sorry."

"Umm, you know what. I changed my mind about the job and I need you to give me back the form I signed with my social security number on it. NOW!...Well, I am not giving you my passwords either so now what do we do because I am not going anywhere until I get that form back. You ask me something that stupid and then you think I am going to let you keep my social?!?!"

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Burn the whole city down.

There's no excuse for:

1. The politicians passing that law
2. The businesses wanting that law
3. The police enforcing that law
4. The courts allowing the law to stand
5. The citizens to allow that bull crap to continue

There's just no excuse for letting it go that far. If they're all so willing to just roll over and die, then who are we to stop them?

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   
That's pretty odd.

Many jobs forbid you from using social networking sites from the office.

There's a variety of reasons for that, including the way those sites completely destroy any form of office productivity

There are also many jobs that require full background checks, which have gotten increasingly "personal" lately. Background checks used to be primarily checking for criminal record, child support issues, that sort of stuff. Now prospective employers are well known for searching their applicants on facebook etc. Apparently colleges do this as well.

However, I have no idea why a place of employment would need the passwords to the accounts.

I personally would not work for someone like that. I understand it's important to get work, but I think it's pretty clear that an employee would most likely be treated terribly.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Oh Gosh. This reminds me of something. I was looking to hire someone a couple years ago when I was still working. I placed on add on my space.

It amazed me some of the people that responded. I would look at the page and one guy had photos og himself smoking a bong, etc,... yet used this venue to reply , even though I stated to call me,LOL Others had pages that explained themselves as being lazy , or drunks in their pages . HELLO, you are applying for a job on machinery!!!! LOL Not to mention , like I said, DO NOT REPLY TO THIS ON MYSPACE. CALL THIS NUMBER:

People Kill me sometimes.

Anyone asked for my passwords, see ya, do not want to live there. In fact this should be taken to the supreme court!

Ama

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I'm going to stop short of saying bad things about Montana, but let's just say I'm not surprised by the mentality.

I would starve first before I gave them that information. And on a similar note, I will never, ever apply for a job that requires my credit rating either.

Not because it's bad, because it's not, but because it is my PRIVATE PERSONAL business and I cannot imagine why any employer would need to know if I pay my bills on time.

My employer owns my time for 8 hours a day, the rest of my life is none of his business.

Let them be concerned about my behavior at work, or even my past jobs.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Rook1545

from the article:

*Please

list any and all, current personal or business websites, web pages or memberships on any Internet-based chat rooms, social clubs or forums, to include, but not limited to: Facebook, Google, Yahoo, YouTube.com, MySpace, etc.,

* No, Thank You.

... let them do the leg work, if they're so inclined as to expend the time and resources necessary to obtain such information.

It's not Required ... though, they'd appreciate You saving them the time and resources.

[edit on 19-6-2009 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 05:51 PM
link   
According to the article, it is not mandatory; therefore you do not have to answer and if they were to not hire you for those reasons you would then have a very nice paycheck when your lawyer was done with them.

Anyone who is stupid enough to give that information deserves whatever bad may happen due to that information. All ISP's, social sites and any website with an account system flat tells you "do not under any circumstance give out your username and password to anyone as it can be used for nafarious reasons". They also stat that they will not ever ask for this type of information to resolve issue with their services, therefore WHY in Gods name would you give that info out; I need a job is not an reason or good enouh excuse to ever give out passwords to any accounts.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I guess I better erase all my nude pics I posted!?!

I have nothing to hide that I remember, but that is not the point.

Very stupid for Boz Mont. I will play fair if they do also!

This jarred my memory after laughing(I still am!) at the My Space ad STORY with the Gent having a picture of himself clearing a Bong! America's Finest!

Way back when a insurance company was qualifying me for their health insurance plan. I was answering questions over the phone, and one of the questions was; Have you ever smoked pot?

I was brought up to be honest with myself and others and at the time, I was very young and green. I have smoked pot before, though I don't really care for it.
So, I am faced with this question they sprung on me and I didn't know what to say. I didn't want to lie, though I know how insurance companies work.

It was terrible! I told him I have smoked pot before.

The question was; Have you EVER smoked pot?

The question should have been; Do you smoke pot?

I called my Mom and told her the story. (Bless her heart!) My parents were the type that never swore in front of us 5 kids! She told me, for now on when they ask you personal questions, "Don't tell them!" My mom really scolded me!

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Where does it say that giving the information is optional? The only way I see it being optional is if you lie and intentionally omit things.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by mattifikation

if you read the entire article in the 2nd paragraph it has quoted "Please list ....."

Hence the word Please does not mandate the information therefore it is optional and cannot be used against you on merit for application of job.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 03:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kevin_X2
This is crazy. To demand peoples personal passwords... this cant be perfectly legit. I have heard of employers snooping around on facebook, but this is going too far.

emails are like traditional mail, your employer cant come to your house and go through it. I would be tearing this employer a new one

There's a little thing called the patriot act, it's not like traditional mail.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 08:54 AM
link   
I can tell you a few good reasons they are doing it. People use those social sites for business networking and it is not unlikely that people may be disclosing sensitive information for their own purposes through there. Also, LOTS of people use work time to get on those sites, people at my former job spent hours on Match.com, Myspace, Facebook and even the sex sites, which is grounds for termination. Some of them were spending most of their shifts on there, I've noticed in the past year that this is a common problem in all sorts of businesses.

On the more blatant end, there have been a number of incidents where fire and police workers have posted rather humorous macho shots of themselves in company cars or holding guns on their profiles, sounds funny but it is grounds for termination also. One of the New Smyrna Beach cops was in a bikini when she did it, also fired. A fellow I am seeing has all kinds of fire- and truck-themed crap on his profile, you'd think he was the Great God of Arson, not a dispatcher.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Well, thanks to the backlash this practice has been put to a prompt end.

Bozeman Drops Password Requirement

"Effective at noon today the city of Bozeman permanently ceased the practice of requesting that candidates selected for positions under a provisional job offer to provide their usernames or passwords for candidates Internet sites," said Chris Kukulski, Bozeman City Manager.

It's interesting to note that their reasoning was that this decision was made because of the negative back-lash over the practice, not because it was in direct violation of the Civil Rights Act of 1991.

Still, if I were an applicant who was asked to provide this information prior to their reversal of this policy, I would be contacting the EEOC to file a formal complaint, and the EFF and ACLU immediately to begin a Class Action Lawsuit.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join