It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US city demands FaceSpaceGooHoo log-ins from job seekers

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   

US city demands FaceSpaceGooHoo log-ins from job seekers

www.theregister.co.uk

If you apply for a job with the City of Bozeman, Montana - a mid-sized burg halfway across these United States - you're forced to surrender usernames and passwords for every account you've set up with websites of the "social networking" variety.

According to the City, that includes everything from Facebook and MySpace to YouTube to, well, Yahoo! and Google.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Umm...seriously? That can't be a good sign. Say what you will about sites like facebook and myspace, but I know ALOT of people who get thier email from google, yahoo, and hotmail (included that since I am sure it would be required as well). How long before this becomes a more widely used tactic?

Can't get them to volunteer information? Use their jobs to extort them into giving it to you.

www.theregister.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Rook1545

Whatever... find a new job... it doesn't make any sense to work for someone so draconian...

Matter of fact.. Quit your job and start a business... that's what I did.. and life is great, I do what I want, when I want, wherever I want...

Matter of fact,I think I'm going to have a cold one right now... and then go swimming

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

Whatever... find a new job... it doesn't make any sense to work for someone so draconian...

Matter of fact.. Quit your job and start a business... that's what I did.. and life is great, I do what I want, when I want, wherever I want...

Matter of fact,I think I'm going to have a cold one right now... and then go swimming

Well when there are people fighting to get jobs in some areas, do they really have another choice? Not everyone can setup their own business.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rook1545

Well when there are people fighting to get jobs in some areas, do they really have another choice? Not everyone can setup their own business.

That's simply a mindset... reality is never like we imagine it is...

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   
This is a duplicate news article of an already existing thread on ATS at www.abovetopsecret.com....

I posted my insights, opinions and thoughts for getting around this there.

[edit on 19-6-2009 by fraterormus]

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   
That isn't any of their business, I would turn around and ask the same question to them.

I'd ask them let me get all your usernames and passwords to your e-mail. The worst part about this is that are idiots that will give up the info. If everybody was smart enough they would get no applicants. But we all know how that isn't going to happen.

Edit - To make my last sentence a full sentence.

[edit on 19-6-2009 by Hastobemoretolife]

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   
What a load of BS.

Just tell them you don't use the interweb, what they gonna do?

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Man, you have a mindset where everybody has the same blessings as you do.

It's all well and good to gloat about your great life and how cool you are for drinking cold beers all day while you go swimming but lots of people are starving and don't exactly have collateral to put down for a goddamn loan.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by BaronVonGodzilla

Man, you have a mindset where everybody has the same blessings as you do.

It's all well and good to gloat about your great life and how cool you are for drinking cold beers all day while you go swimming but lots of people are starving and don't exactly have collateral to put down for a goddamn loan.

I don't think you get it... I never had ANY blessings until I changed my mindset..

And I have to continually change my mindset...

You don't need a loan to start a business...

Can you make sweet tea? Then go sell it... that's a business... no loan required...

I don't know about the UK, but in the US, all you have to do is say "I AM A SOLE PROPRIETOR" and now you have a business...

It's not about what you have, it's about how you think... there is no blessings better than changing your mindset...

I hang out with a lot of business owners who come from various impoverished backgrounds... One used to live in a dumpster... another was a drug addict, yet another lived in a tent for years....

Reality is what you have made it to be, and you can always make it into something completely different.

Look at JK Rowling... she didn't have money for kids books so she made up her own... and now what... millions...

It can happen to you... you just have to allow yourself to believe it can...

Remember... I once lived out of a 1981 car.... that's all I had... nothing else....

And now... I'll have a cold one and go swimming in my nice swim/tennis community where I don't have to mow the lawn because people come by twice a week to landscape....

That's not gloating... that's showing contrast from having nothing, to changing one's mind and now having everything I ever wanted....

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by BaronVonGodzilla

Man, I'd advise not arguing against him because frankly it isn't worth the effort. He doesn't change his viewpoints and he's a wildly liberal person who thinks a small fluffy kitten bursting with creative energy resides somewhere in the heart of every human being because on some level the universe is fundamentally just and fair.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   
This is crazy. To demand peoples personal passwords... this cant be perfectly legit. I have heard of employers snooping around on facebook, but this is going too far.

emails are like traditional mail, your employer cant come to your house and go through it. I would be tearing this employer a new one

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

I agree, the entrepreneurial spirit is a mind set, a way of life, a commitment to something motivated by profit.

I have owned several businesses; partnerships with my GF. Some were very successful and some were complete busts. My current one, a small time manufacturing business has tanked and we're broke. But survivors in even this economic downturn with creativity and hard work can still put together a project that will allow some time for a swim and a beer. Not to mention the personal satisfaction of being self employed.

This lifestyle is not for the faint hearted. It is very much like professional gambling. It's impossible to win if you don't sit at the table and are'nt willing to take some risks.

Topic.....there are laws against invasion of privacy. If you are denied a job for not giving up passwords....find a mad dog lawyer and sue the **** out of em.

[edit on 19-6-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   
In Texas, if you apply/interview for law enforcement, it's one of the requirements that you release this info. It's sad it has come to this.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Now I have to agree with you whole heartedly there

1. It is like professional gambling and does require an iron stomach. I don't get paid every two weeks, I get paid maybe once every couple of months. I have to make that last until the next check comes in.. and only then, I have to motivate myself to get out of bed to actually find the sale and make the money.

2. It is all about numbers. As you mention, some of my businesses are great revenue generators while others end up simply to be an excuse to write off travel, food, and phone bills.

Ultimately though, I don't think I could ever go back to working for someone else the way I used to.... it is that self-employment thrill which pushes me and the ability to take a week or two off without having any one other than my clients to check with.

I'll admit it.. it takes intestinal fortitude... at least on my wifes part... :-)

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Whos going to know if you just tell them that you have no accounts?

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Last Man on Earth
reply to post by BaronVonGodzilla

Man, I'd advise not arguing against him because frankly it isn't worth the effort. He doesn't change his viewpoints and he's a wildly liberal person who thinks a small fluffy kitten bursting with creative energy resides somewhere in the heart of every human being because on some level the universe is fundamentally just and fair.

I change my viewpoints everyday! :-)

And I don't believe the Universe is fair at all... as a matter of fact, that's the premise of my argument.

You can't look to others to supply you with a job... you have to create your own reality. It's not about fairness.. it's about survival of the fittest... but mentally, not so much physically.

The biggest problem in this world is that too many of us allow the outside world to dictate our own reality... when most of what everyone else says is really just their interpretation on reality.

Remove the conceptual limitations of what your believe and go out and find out the real limitations... you will find they are much different than what you believe.

And if the way you believe isn't working... then change the way you believe...

I always change my viewpoints, but only so much that the ball of fire on the horizon is a rising sun, not a setting one.

I agree... there is no fairness in the universe, because "fair" is a concept.... not an objective phenomenon.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   

I change my viewpoints everyday! :-)

This infuriates me about you as well, because every time I think you couldn't come out with more utterly pointless liberal waffle you'll say something that's actually quite clever and insightful and I can't simply hate you for being an idiot!

Originally posted by HunkaHunkaAnd I don't believe the Universe is fair at all... as a matter of fact, that's the premise of my argument.

You can't look to others to supply you with a job... you have to create your own reality. It's not about fairness.. it's about survival of the fittest... but mentally, not so much physically.

The biggest problem in this world is that too many of us allow the outside world to dictate our own reality... when most of what everyone else says is really just their interpretation on reality.

Remove the conceptual limitations of what your believe and go out and find out the real limitations... you will find they are much different than what you believe.

And if the way you believe isn't working... then change the way you believe...

I always change my viewpoints, but only so much that the ball of fire on the horizon is a rising sun, not a setting one.

I agree... there is no fairness in the universe, because "fair" is a concept.... not an objective phenomenon.

Strangely, I agree...partially.

A friend of mine asked me a while back what I would do if I went to a job interview for a job that was advertised at £20k, only to turn up and find it was £200k and the advert had been a typo.

I told him (naturally, I thought) that I'd say "Oh never mind, goodbye!", and he quickly replied with "well, you thought you could do the job not five minutes ago, why are you leaving now?" and I realised what he was getting at was my own concept of self-worth.

And to be fair, I suppose it is not as high as it could be, but on the flip side, when you have a terrible credit rating, in the middle of a global recession, starting your own business really isn't as easy as you make it out to be!

[edit on 19-6-2009 by The Last Man on Earth]

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Last Man on Earth

And to be fair, I suppose it is not as high as it could be, but on the flip side, when you have a terrible credit rating, in the middle of a global recession, starting your own business really isn't as easy as you make it out to be!

You might be surprised! It depends entirely on what you are willing to do.
One of my first businesses was washing windows. 2 5gal.Buckets, sponge, squeegee, soap. Total outlay less than $25 bucks but lots of elbow grease and long days outside in the sun. I parlayed this enterprise into a service business fixing up rental property for real estate people; with a truck, employees, office and secretary and gross almost 200k a year. I sold this business and took 3 years off, flyfishing the US Rocky Mountains that eventually turned into a guide/outfitting business.

Granted the economic situation isn't good but that's just another challenge not an obstacle.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Whether you can start your business aside. The part that I found scary about the article is that it is not a private business requiring this information. It is a municipal government. How far up the ladder would this information flow?

Maybe it is the paranoid in me, but what would be stopping this government from sharing that info with any government agency that asks for it?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join