It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Oregon Inmates Enjoy New Flat-Screen TVs

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Here's another fine example of the life of a prisoner. It seems that certain Oregon prisons needed a new way to reward prisoners for doing their day to day duties in prison, so instead of paying them a few cents an hour, they were allowed to build up credit towards the purchase of a TV. One prison allowed CRT TVs, while the other utilized the much more expensive LCD TVs.

Ore. Inmates Enjoy New Flat-Screen TVs

"I've worked for it. I've stayed clear of any sort of nonsense in the institution," said Krahmer, 27, who is serving 70 months at Oregon State Correctional Institution, outside Salem, for assault with a knife.

Its wonderful to see that the taxpayer money that is pumped into the prison system is not going towards the rehabilitation of the prisoner, but rather into purchasing expensive TVs, paying the monthly cable bill, and allowing them the pleasure of watching "survivor".

[Edited on 4-5-2004 by Bobbo]

[Edited on 4-5-2004 by Zion Mainframe]

[Edited on 5-4-2004 by Valhall]

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 06:19 AM
link   
it seems that real criminals are rewarded and those guilty of thought crime will be the ones thrown onto the dirty cell watch out america big brother is watching you

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 06:30 AM
link   
this is stupid...
but if I ever got busted for something, it sounds like Oregon would be the place to go - jeez, what a sweet deal!
Try to knife someone and get a nice clean room, toilet, 3 meals a day, sex in the shower from a big guy named Bubba and flat screen tv set tuned to you favorite crime drama or HBO's "Oz"... yummy...

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Must be nice!! I bet some of them Federal prisoners,AKA politicians that got the slammer,are sitting in front of a personal PC prolly reading and posting on this very site.Funny how our taxes are being spent to give the inmates all the comforts of home and I couldn't even afford the frigging remote to one of those tv's.

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 07:32 AM
link   
That's typical isn't it? Thousands of innocent people dying/starving/being abused everyday, and the tax is going on flat-screen tv's so attackers don't miss their daily Survivor viewing? "Ohh look Billy, American Idol's on tonight!"

What's next, mini bars??

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 07:35 AM
link   
This is an outrage..WTF can Oregon be thinking?

What's next--the new reality show, "A day in the life of an Oregon inmate"???

P.C. out of control

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 07:48 AM
link   
And now from someone who actually has read the article. It's an incentive to keep those baddies on their best behavior. They don't hand them out when you walk in, you have to earn it by being nice. It keeps the prisoners out of the common room where a lot of the trouble happens. Picture a small room, lots of criminals, and a football games. They chose the flat screen because they can't turn it into a weapon as easily as a CRT, you can't hide stuff in it. And it takes up less room. Being a prison warden is no easy task. Let's not jump all over Oregon for coming up while a novel solution until we understand the context of which it was made.

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Dont be fooled by the tv. Prison is no place to be. Telling you when to eat, #, piss, shower.

Those TV wont last 6 months.

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by curme
And now from someone who actually has read the article.

Actually, I did read the article, personally speaking I don't think prisoners should have t.v at all, common room or otherwise. They're there because they commited a crime, prison is the governemnts form of punishment, now I know there are many t.v shows that are just unbareable...but it's still a form of entertainment.

Being a prison warden is no easy task.

Yes, I know, I know a few, and I know farewell it's not easy. So don't jump to conclusions and take a comment out of context thankyou.

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Seems like the inmates have it better behind bars than they do at home.

Yes, it is an incentive to be good and follow the rules. However, once they're out they may commit a crime again just to get back in!

While they are told what to do, when to sleep and eat; they also have three meals a day and a warm bed to sleep in. They may not have that at home either!

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 09:08 AM
link   
So they have flatscreen TVs....you'd need a flatscreen tv too if your entire house was 5feet by 8 feet

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Am I the only one here that is getting even closer to thinking prison is becoming the easy life???? The way the "justice" system works these days, I am thinking that prison sounds good. I work my ass off everyday and get a small paycheck to try and raise a family, yet I could go to prison and always get 3 squares a day, free education (as many degrees as I want for free), and work out all I want so I can be in the shape I was in in highschool football.

Not to mention, you get paid for the work you do in prison and can even get medical help without worrying about your insurance covering it all.

And think about the gas money you could save on your commute.....

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 09:35 AM
link   

The way the "justice" system works these days, I am thinking that prison sounds good.

You forgot anal rape. Oh, and shanking. Getting shanked and anally raped! Damn those prisoners got it good!

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Well, this is just kind of silly.
And it has definitely become less about rehabilitation, or is it punishment?
I didn't see a mention of it, but I'm assuming that there are limitations on the amount of television one can watch.

And this struck me as amusing... " "It is not a luxury item."

Then... what is it?

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by LadyCool21
Actually, I did read the article, personally speaking I don't think prisoners should have t.v at all, common room or otherwise. They're there because they commited a crime, prison is the governemnts form of punishment, now I know there are many t.v shows that are just unbareable...but it's still a form of entertainment.

Yes, that's the easy answer that doesn't require much real research or deep thought & the subject. If you knew someone who had been incarcerated and visited them or worked in the prison system I think you would have a different opinion.

When I first heard about TV's in prison I thought it was some kind of a joke. I too thought what the hell is going on & how can they expect people to not break the law if they allow the easy life in prison.

The truth of the matter is the TV's have been in prisons for more than 30 years, the only thing new here is it's a new type of TV. TV's like everything else are a way to manage the prison population. The more you give them the more you can take away & thus the more control you have over their behavior - bottom line.

The average education level of the prison population in the United States is that of a six grader or a 11-12 year old. 60% of them will never go beyond that and that is the mentality prison officials have to deal with. Televison is not only a tool for management, but it is like a cheap drug that keeps them anesthetized. As antennas don't work through concrete & steal all programming can be managed, so I don't think they let them watch inspiring movies Natural Born Killers etc. Ah too bad for them that's was a great one - thanks Woody.

[Edited on 4-5-2004 by outsider]

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 10:44 AM
link   
That's part of the problem. Treating them like a 12 year old does not help correct the behavior, instead, it encourages it. The should be made to be held responsible, not treated as a child.

Another thing that would work for keeping them in check is to actually follow through with sentences. What is the deal with sentencing someone to 20 years, then letting them out after 10 years on good behavior. That is again treating them like a child. Just like when a parent grounds thier kid for a week and then two days later allow them to go to the movies with friends. It sends a message that you, as a parent, or in this case, as a "justice system", are weak.

The other thing they do is sentence someone to the death penalty, and then never follow through. Yeah, I realize many actually get carried out, but death row in many prisons has a couple hundred there, and the state over the last 20 years has executed 1 or 2% of those sentenced. Again, it shows that you are weak, and they don't fear the sentence as much.

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Oleander
Funny how our taxes are being spent to give the inmates all the comforts of home and I couldn't even afford the frigging remote to one of those tv's.

No # !!! I live in Oregon, and now I can see why taxes are so high here. On my last paycheck 60 dollars was taken out. Nice. Probably to buy some prisoner a flat screen tv. While my own tv is roughly 10 years old and worsening in performance by the minute. But I don't have a flat screen television because I CANT AFFORD ONE !!!!!! Boy

I also don't get free medical care. Oregon has this Health Plan thingie, but the problem IS, it only helps the mullet wearing/white trash/welfaerie contingent If you live with a relative who makes too much money, even though you only make minimum wage. Forget it. It's dependant upon total household income.

Nice to see the state helping those who desperately are trying to help themselves *dripping sarcasm here*.

Oh..we also have this huge video poker/mega lottery thing here which is SUPPOSED to pay for stuff like the above, but doesn't seem to since I keep losing so much of my paycheck towards stuff like this.

Maybe I'm bitter, but it would be nice to spend some of my paycheck on something other then say....BILLS !!!!!!!
And #ing TAXES.

Yes...this was a rant. This article seriously pissed me off.

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 11:20 AM
link   
...and what's the moral of this everyone? If you ever want to go to university but can't afford the fees, you can hold up a store with a blank firing gun and go to prison.

Here you will recieve free room and board, 3 free meals a day, sports days, the latest in home entertainment and of course a degree complimentary of the government.

Sure, it's not the best degree in the world but it'll do.

Actually I don't think I would mind this for petty crimes, but murderers (pre-meditated that is), rapists and child molesters should only recieve for blank walls and bread and water.

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 11:33 AM
link   
KayEm I understand your frustration, and my post isn't directed at you, but...

I think it's a great idea. Why shouldn't they be allowed to purchase a TV? It could very well be considered rehabilitative behaviour to own one. Much better than throwing them into the world cold turkey after they've served their time, only to find how the country has changed drastically.

And the TVs are purchased with funds that they've earned, no?

So you don't want them to watch Survivor? Who are you to censor what they should watch?

[Edited on 4-5-2004 by jsobecky]

[Edited on 4-5-2004 by jsobecky]

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
KayEm I understand your frustration, and my post isn't directed at you, but...

I think it's a great idea. Why shouldn't they be allowed to purchase a TV? It could very well be considered rehabilitative behaviour to own one. Much better than throwing them into the world cold turkey after they've served their time, only to find how the country has changed drastically.

And the TVs are purchased with funds that they've earned, no?

I didn't think your reply was aimed specifically at me, Jsobecky

But I'm going to respond anyway

I think the point many of us were arguing is that we can't even afford a flat screen tv. Those of us who work on the "outside" as it were. lol

And since when has tv ever been considered "rehabilitative" ? If they truly want "rehabilitiative", what's the matter with picking up a good book ? or exercise/sports, or even a therapuetic spa pool.

But to give them something that a lot of us on the outside who also work hard can't afford is sort of a slap in the face. That's what I think anyway.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join