It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Psychology of dreams?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Okay a little background info to make things a little more understandable.

I'm in college however since the year ended I have no classes to attend and no job to worry about. I go to sleep very very late around 7AM and wake up around 3 or 4PM. For some reason since i've been doing this EVERY night with out fail i have some fantastic and truly strange dreams.

Usually when i'm in school or have things to do i normally dont remember my dreams. However for the past 2 or 3 weeks i've had several dreams a night that i can remember vividly. I have read that the first step to controlling your dreams is to remember them. Well, i'm remembering atleast 2 or 3 a night and still no lucid dreams.

It's strange because a few years back i felt like i had no control over my dreams and i was the one who was watching things unfold and made stupid decisions in my dreams. Now in my dream i use the same logic as i do in real life and in my dream i hear my self questioning and reasoning with myself over whats happening yet i still cannot control my dreams. For example lets say in my dream i see a beautiful girl and she wants to sleep with me. My real world logic kicks into my dream and runs through all the basics like i would do in real life. Such as Who are you what are you doing? Why are you here etc? in my Why cant i just go and do as i please. I feel like im trapped in my own logic!

Now to my main point, sometimes my dreams have no relevancy to what has happened to me during the day. Or even in the past few months. Some times they make no sense at all. Sometimes they have very deep meanings but they are still irrelevant to me. For example yesterday, i had a dream that me and a friend were talking and then for some reason she had to go and i was sad. Then later on in my dream i went back in time to the moment where she said she had to go and i stopped her and the following events changed from what they were before when i let her go.

What does this mean?? People say all dreams have meanings. But with all the ridiculous and ludicrous dreams i have how can they all have a message? Like today i had a dream that i was in one of those big heavy iron cars that chase around tornados and a tornado came and flipped the car over but we were okay and kept driving? Are you saying that that somehow correlates to something in my life?? This is the car i was in www.geekologie.com...
This is so random because i dont even have a fascination for tornadoes nor do i watch shows about em

Sorry for rambling on so much and i'm happy if you've reached this far into my post

But what is your take on this? Do you believe dreams are just a playground for your mind and nothing else? Do you believe all dreams have meanings? Or both? How come even in my dreams i'm stuck to my real world logic? Thanks for reading as i've been thinking about this for awhile and looking for some feedback

*Also in addition,(so that i dont have to start another thread) when i was on vacation from college courses i would sleep 10 or 11 hours and i would wake up and i would feel this immense feeling of relaxation on my body like i've never ever felt before. Even now i dont feel it anymore. Its very hard to explain as i've only experienced it 2 or 3 times during my life all in which happened when i was off of school. My body just felt so great, it felt like i could stay in my bed forever and its just so hard to express how wonderful it was to just be laying there even awake. And i would just want to go back to sleep but just having slept 11 hours i felt it would be a waste of a day. It felt as if i could sleep for another 11 hours if i chose to close my eyes. It felt as if i was at peace and all i had to do was sleep. Getting up from the bed was so disappointing. I'm not a lazy person, i dont lay around all day quite the contrary but being in this state felt like i wanted nothing to do with life Just wanted to sleep. Have any of you ever experienced this?
:cool

[edit on 19-6-2009 by mischief2013]

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Hey

I only can say that:
Sometimes dreams means something.. Sometimes not.

Our under-mind plays with us.
When we sleep our brain reboot and then it can happen that we dream about things which are not important.

But

There are also dreams which mean a lot.
They come as visions or as simple dreams. They are a warning or let us look into the future.
Its our believe which make them real or not. Some of them are fake, some not.

I cant give you an answer what your dreams mean. Cause i dont know your life.
Look at your life and you might get an answer for your dreams.

The only thing what i know for shure:
Dreams are not only dreams.. they can be much more sometimes !!!!

Nia

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by NW111
Hey

I only can say that:
Sometimes dreams means something.. Sometimes not.

Our under-mind plays with us.
When we sleep our brain reboot and then it can happen that we dream about things which are not important.

But

There are also dreams which mean a lot.
They come as visions or as simple dreams. They are a warning or let us look into the future.
Its our believe which make them real or not. Some of them are fake, some not.

I cant give you an answer what your dreams mean. Cause i dont know your life.
Look at your life and you might get an answer for your dreams.

The only thing what i know for shure:
Dreams are not only dreams.. they can be much more sometimes !!!!

Nia

Thanks for the reply, i too believe that dreams can be warnings the problem is understanding that they're warnings.Also what do you think about the whole real life logic controlling my dreams? Are you able to lucid dream?

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Changing sleep patterns helps a lot in trying to attain lucid dreams (especially at 3am, the real witching hour) How exactly is helps I dont know, maybe it just helps recollection of it. Have you ever kept a dream journal, this can help a great deal, write down your experiences as they come to you.

What I would suggest to you is that the manifest dreamworld is not purely psychological at all but the true version of reality.

It would seem to me that someone is trying hard to get a message across to you. So dig this, the life we live now is the actual dream, we have lived our lives as we know them hundreds, thousands of infinate times.

What occours though is that our higher (demi-god) selves are gathering experience before we go an are joined with God.
So the fact your higher self showed you that... we can literally turn back time ( or an accurate simulation of it ) and try again. This is integral I think to the idea thast the one true good is meciful and forgives all. He forgives all because we can always go back for another try. It just that useually we forget we have already been through it once, unless we have strange phenomenon like deja vu.

Lucid Dreaming though, absolute WICKED ability.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 06:33 AM
link   
I really dont have a certain answer for you.. However, i can say that i used to be able to tell myself to dream about certain things like killing zombies and that night i would have zombies in my dream somewhere. I wouldnt be able to dream strictly about zombies but somewhere in my dream i would be killing zombies. Ever since i had my kids though i really havent had much luck doind it anymore let alone get 6 hours of straight sleep. But I think i am going to start again and add a journal. Because like the previous suggested, some of the dreams could be past experiences expressed through present objects. and when your sleeping or when you first wake up your dreams could tell you one thing but if you read them on paper they might tell a different story. Later man

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Its difficult to find the right words for the view i have with dreams and life. I oftly dream completly the same what then will happen in real life. Can you explain that? I cant..
Its like the right food in the reality, the left food in dreamland.
And for me its a land there. You can say, i life 2 lifes. One here. and one in dreams.
I never used a "dream-book" where i wrote my dreams down. I dont must this, cause i can remember all my important dreams like things i remember out of my awake-time
My dreams are not only lucid. They are real. But with the nice effect that i can play Supergirl there

The problem with dreams is that there exist no time. Something you see there can happen tomorrow or in 1000 years. Therefore its hard to explain dreams.

bye

Nia

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 05:37 PM
link   
to try to break out of your reality logic in the dream state, do something that you would never do in waking life. try to fly. do something reckless without first considering the consequences. it sounds to me like even you are able to control your dreams to a certain extent, you're still getting tripped up by your everyday waking logic functions.

remember, dreams are the ultimate playground and way better than virtual reality will ever be. the only thing that is limiting you in your dreams is you. it takes time, but eventually you can overcome these limitations and do what ever you want in your dreams.

sometimes dreams have a meaning, and sometimes they don't. it's really up to you to figure out which is which.

if you haven't already started doing it, keep a dream journal. having a static log to refer back to will really help a lot.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 06:03 PM
link   
I did an experiment maybe 3 decades ago that resulted in lucid dreaming.

I noticed that I can usually recall dreams in extreme detail within the first sleepy moments of just waking up, but I loose those details as my mind continues to awaken.

Writing the details down would be useless: working a pen & paper would require far too much mind control and so loose the details.

So I put a tape recorder and external Mic on the bed table, set the recorder to "Record" but kept the switch on the Mic set to "Off".

All I had to do was: 1. Realize I was waking up, 2. Stay sleepy-minded and grab the mic, set it to "On" 3. Describe the dream in detail into the microphone remaining half asleep.

By the end of the week I'd have a lot of recordings.
I'd remember little to nothing before playing the tape back. As I listened to the tape, everything about the dream was instantly recalled.

Sometimes I wouldn't check the tape for a couple weeks thinking it would be empty only to find new recordings waiting there.

I did that for a few months and it eventualy allowed lucid dreaming where I was directing its path. (For the most part)

I don't recall how long I kept on recording, but the lucid dreaming ended sometime after I stopped recording.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 01:25 AM
link   
i know exactly what you mean about remembering things as soon as you wake up because its the same for me. As more time passes the less detail i remember however, Usually before i get up i review what my dream was about and what happened and i can remember. Remembering is not an issue. Like i said i have several dreams a night and remember them in detail. So that's not really the problem. Just that make real world logic always takes over

new topics

top topics

join