It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oh, So Now There's Water On The Moon... Thanks NASA

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:
jra

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Exuberant1

Could you link to the original images or at least supply the original photo ID numbers please? These photos were more than likely taken through a window. Those could be internal reflections. Glass also tends to scatter light to some degree.

Don't you think that with all the hundreds of thousands of amateur astronomers all over the world, that they would have noticed if the Moon had a substantial and visibly noticeable atmosphere? It's not exactly something anyone could hide.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by jra
reply to post by Exuberant1

Don't you think that with all the hundreds of thousands of amateur astronomers all over the world, that they would have noticed if the Moon had a substantial and visibly noticeable atmosphere? It's not exactly something anyone could hide.

Where did I say the moon's atmosphere was 'substantial' ?

As to the atmosphere being 'visibly noticeable' - well you can see it in the images I posted...

jra

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1
Where did I say the moon's atmosphere was 'substantial' ?

As to the atmosphere being 'visibly noticeable' - well you can see it in the images I posted...

If it's visibly noticeable, than it must be fairly substantial. And like I said, the photos were more than likely taken through a window, which can scatter light as well as reflect light. I'm also guessing you don't have the photo ID numbers for the original images?

And you have no comment about amateur astronomers not seeing any signs of an atmosphere?

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Along with frozen water and regolith with a high oxygen content - The moon also has an atmosphere.

Here are some images of it (From Apollo):

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/028255a4377b.jpg[/atsimg]

Look at that atmosphere!

My local University's telescope can take images of the moon that look that close-up...as jra pionted out, if Moon has an atmosphere why haven't amateur astronomers seen it?

What we are looking at here is probably glare.

[edit on 6/22/2009 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

Yeah...it's glare. There's no atmosphere on the Moon...or no meaningful atmosphere. What there is can be condensed into an estimated 10 tonnes. A large part of that is caused by lunar outgassing. What little atmosphere there is can be attributed to...

...creation of the atmosphere through impacts is known as "sputtering". Earth-based telescopes have detected sodium and potassium in a diffuse cloud around the Moon, and NASA's Lunar Prospector spacecraft detected radon-222 and polonium-201. Finally, detectors carried by the Apollo astronauts turned up argon, helium, oxygen, methane, nitrogen, carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide. But you've got to appreciate that these are in extremely low quantities.
Atmosphere of the Moon

Naturally, we can't rule out that when NASA faked the half-dozen manned lunar landings they made the actors wear astronaut 'costumes' to fake the absence of atmosphere. We also can't rule out the possibility that amateur astronomers have missed the winds and dust devils that would occur due to the atmosphere.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Just thought I'd drop by and say that the existence of what is believed to be water (h20) ice on the Moon is not a new discovery or revelation.

The Lunar ice was first detected during the Clementine mission and then later validated by the Lunar Prospector mission. The Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter mission is most likely testing the chemical composition of this ice to confirm it as H20. Remember, there is plenty of ice in the Solar System but not all of it is H20, or water ice.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Question for you; is this the moon's atmosphere in the picture I took, or camera glare?
www.flickr.com...
Note the blue glow on the left side. Now a quick follow-up question; how were you able to rule out glare, if indeed you were able to?

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join