It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I saw a UFO...or so I thought...darn it all...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   
This morning, just after dawn...and a beautiful one it was, too, I was out in the parking lot at work taking my break, I was looking east towards the hills outside of town. In the sky was a classic crescent moon, with Venus (?) nearby. I was headed back inside when just off to the south of Venus (?), and a little below I spotted a very bright reflection crossing the sky east to west.

From my vantage point it looked remarkably like the classic "cigar shaped" UFO we hear so much about... I was thinking "How cool is this?", well after I asked myself "What the *bleep* is that?". Anyhoo, I rushed over to my car and grabbed my binoculars and took a look... Imagine my disappointment when it resolved into a rather mundane, but shiny, 747. It was kinda lower than most planes that fly over the town, which I suppose is what caught my attention...that and the "shiny"...

Oh well, maybe next time...

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Pics or it didn't happen...

Sorry, just wanted to be the first to say it.

Cool story.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

Seen one 747, seen 'em all.

No pictures required...

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Ah, so you can't prove it was a 747. I say, HOAX. It must have really been a UFO then.
Just having fun. Yeah, this sort of thing does happen from time to time. It just takes a bit more patience than to just run away half cocked without investigating sightings as thoroughly as possible.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   
That sounds like the common binocular anomoly: 747 refraction.
When you see a typical cigar shaped ufo through a dual lense viewer the atmosphere between the alien cigar to the two lenses causes the image to bend. Don't worry it's an easy mistake to make, lots of people confuse alien cigar ships with 747s. It really was a cigar ship.
Binocular anomoly example
;-)

[edit on 18-6-2009 by and14263]

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
So what's the point? I think most people have seen objects in the sky and then noticed it was just a plane. The unexplained sightings are the ones that count!

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Starseed32

The point was, and is, to point out that many "sightings" are explainable.

I'm far from denying that UFO's are all misidentified 747's. I'm using my "sighting" as an example of what not to do. My first thought was, "Could this be...?", so I investigated as best I could, and was able to see what it really was.

All too many of us, seeing something strange up in the sky, call it "aliens" without any foundation for that claim. Not saying there aren't aliens in our skies, but let's just say the lights can't all be aliens...

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

Oh no don't get me wrong. I completely understand. I have done the same! I have also had several unexplained sightings. I get so frustrated at the ones that go to great lengths to create hoaxes. These people that do that make it hard on anyone that has actually had a true unexplained sighting.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

Definatley chineese lanterns

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Swamp gas maybe? any one? well you might see something , and it was a nice story , thanx for it

new topics

top topics

join