It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Continental Flight To Make Emergency Landing Soon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   
A Continental Airlines flight will be making an emergency landing soon at the Newark Liberty International Airport. The plane's captain has died!

HORROR: Continental Captain Dies Mid-Flight

A Continental Airlines flight from Brussels will be making an emergency landing at Newark Liberty International Airport after the plane's captain died mid-flight Thursday morning, CBS 2 has learned.

[---]

It's not known what caused the pilot to become ill or how he died.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Here's more. It's a Boeing 777.

Continental Airlines flight declares emergency after pilot dies

Continental Airlines flight 61 from Brussels, Belgium to Newark, New Jersey has declared an emergency after the pilot died in-flight, FAA officials tell BNO News.

The aircraft involved is a Boeing 777. "It is reported that the captain of the aircraft passed away," a spokeswoman for the FAA said.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 10:27 AM
link   
"Good morning, folks. This is the first officer speaking. We will be diverting to Newark airport. Over night, the captain of this plane passed away but don't worry; breakfast will be served shortly. Thank you for flying Continental."

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Perhaps a heart attack? Or something more?

In any case the co pilot has everything under control (i hope).

I hope they make a safe landing.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   
The emergency landing is to take place in 15-25 minutes or so.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   
There's nothing to worry about (other than the Captains death). Regulations require that the reserve crew, including the first officers, have a B777 "type rating" to operate as a reserve of F/O (first officer). Essentially, this means that they must have demonstrated proficiency and knowledge at a level of Captain. The only difference is the level of experience (which is fast disappearing as more of us retire).

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Can you imagine if he's been drugged and the story comes out Al-CIAda had a cell working as co-pilot?

Hope they make a safe landing, and thoughts are with his family

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by janon

Seriously... just

If you don't have anything productive to add, then just move on please.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I wonder about the passengers and whether they know or not, and if they do how they must feel. But My sympathies goes to the crew who have endure this flight while coping with the death of their colleague and friend.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Hellmutt

Wow...

It's almost noon here so some more news should show up soon...hopefully all goes well.

Here is MY Continental story...(not to derail, just share)

Flying back from Maui afer the Honeymoon
with an arrival at LAX...

Everything was going fine until about an hour out of landing...the Captain makes an announcement that one of the wing flaps was not working and that we will be "Coming in Hot"...

From my movie experiences I knew this was not good...next thing we know the Stewards begin to go over crash landing procedures.

That started it all...

They first went to mothers with infants and began to demonstrate how they should hold their child...the girl across the isle from us starts losing it - she's crying, sending Last texts, looking around like a wild animal...all understandable, but it affected many others on the flight - and not in a good way.

A grandmother (I think) started to comfort her grandchild (young boy) who was starting to lose it as well...the panic was spreading. My wife and I exchanged a few looks and I could see she was stressing...I tried to crack a few jokes, only to realize I was stressed...

After a while the Captain comes back on paging system to notify us that we were on final decent and to follow the instructions of the Stewards (who to their credit maintained their pose like champs).

Then get this - the Captain tells us, "I can do this"...WTF?! I don't know if he was trying to pump himself up, but all I could think was, "You better F'ing do this..!"

Long story short...

It was 5 am arrival so it was still dark out, but you could see the approach...now, some might say, "Theyh didn't tell you to put down the shades..?"...no, as a matter of fact we were told to put them up because the lanidng might be so hard that the plastic shades may break...

It seemed the WHOLE airport was blacked out...but what was really surreal was the number of emergency vehicles lined up on each side of the runway...must have been 20 at least. It was then that the saying, "There are NO atheists in a Foxhole" came to mind...

We hit the ground pretty smoothly, but that didn't matter as he slammed on some type of E Brake. We ALL slammed into the seats in front us (no less than two people had minor injuries on the face from that) and you could hear all the crap brought back from Maui just slamming into the divider, with obvious breakage on a mass scale...

Obviously we pulled it, but it was the most terrifyiing moment in my life...haven't flown with them since, but I would.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

Oh my bad. I forgot that humor wasn't allowed.

I'm sorry that the captain died but the news agency titling it with "HORROR" trying to over sensationalize it is humorous to me. I guess that isn't allowed either.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Ah yes........ these lovely stories (specifically the tale by Chapter 29) and news reports only reinforce my decision to never, ever get on a plane again.....

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   
this is being over sensationalized. i am watching it on tv now and it is driving me nuts.
this annoys me so much because there is an entire second crew on board so there are probably like 4 other pilots that could land this plane but they still make it seem like the plane could crash so they have to cover the landing live on tv. the landing is no different than if he was alive. they should be broadcasting every landing since the weather is bad. not just because this guy died.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Bad weather for landing and lack of experience make this a situation to watch. My prayers are with all.

Link has live feed of weather condition at the airport:

www.myfoxny.com...

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   
The plane landed safely

Continental Airlines flight declares emergency after pilot dies

The aircraft safely landed at 11.35 a.m. EDT after it received "priority handling" at the airport.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Awesome news! Now I can feel good about the day knowing something dire like this went well.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Honestly, folks, although it is tragic that the Captain died, the continued safe operation of the aircraft and a totally uneventful landing were never in doubt (see my post above) This is a non event.......

new topics

top topics

join