It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA is planning to bomb the Moon

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 05:37 AM
link   
I wonder seeing as NASA have decided to do this , is whether or not they'll televise the event live or do it then show a doctored tape, showing no atmosphere , no hollow moon and no retaliation from the beings supposedly already on the moon?
I really hope that they are aiming at the right base up there, I'm sure we don't want the aliens to fire one of their missiles at us

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 05:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by peacejet
These are all amazing wonders of our technological capability. It is only that we fail to appreciate these wonders.

What.....Flinging stuff at the moon?
Wow thats advanced stuff what a joke.
We can send a probe to mars to look for life and water yet we feel the need to vandalize the moon by throwing rockets at it.

As you can see i think this mission is immature and unnecessary.
And if there are aliens out there what sort of message would this send about us?

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 06:00 AM
link   
I hope I get to see the impact through a telescope. Seems like a once in a lifetime kinda deal.

Heh, 2 days after this experiment, an ET mothership lands on the White House lawn. A sliding door opens and a spaceman comes out:

Spaceman: "Alright...which one of you monkeys decided to vandalize my pet rock???
"

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Seems like there should be a better way to go about these things. Somehow it just doesn't seem right... more primitive rather than technological.

So is this something the UN agrees on or does America basically feel it owns the moon? I can't help but to wonder what the response would be if someone else, like N. Korea, was doing this instead.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by SvenTheBerserK
What.....Flinging stuff at the moon?
Wow thats advanced stuff what a joke.

If you read the post one more time you will see that I was refering to the orbit taken by the space craft to the moon.

We can send a probe to mars to look for life and water yet we feel the need to vandalize the moon by throwing rockets at it.

This is not vandalism. Understand that. We are doing research and the moon is gravitationally locked to earth and we have all the rights to do anything we want to it.

As you can see i think this mission is immature and unnecessary.

This is not immature. It is natural. We evolved from apes and monkeys and these apes and monkeys have the habit of observing strange stuff and throwing things at the strage objects. So, it is in the genes. Dont blame mauturity.

And if there are aliens out there what sort of message would this send about us?

The aliens would think that the monkeys are testing their throwing skills.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 06:38 AM
link   
This will just piss off the aliens living on the dark side.

Of course there may be no moon mission anyways. This could all be just a cover for a launch of some other kind. 'They' are probably just putting something up in orbit and have to announce the launch as a lunar launch in order to provide cover for the mission.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by peacejet
reply to post by heineken

During space missions, some missions are designed in such a way that the space craft doesnt leave the earth directly and travel towards the moon. Instead they launch into space with elliptical orbit. The elliptical orbit has an apogee and perigee. Perigee is the closest approach with respect to earth and apogee is the farthest distance with respect to earth.

So, over the days the space craft will adjust its orbit to increase its apogee steadily and eventually get captured by the moons orbit.

The Shepherding Spacecraft and Centaur rocket are launched together with another spacecraft called the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter (LRO). All three are connected to each other for launch, but then the LRO separates one hour after launch. The Shepherding Spacecraft guides the Centaur rocket through multiple Earth orbits, each taking about 38 days. The rocket then separates from the Shepherding Spacecraft and impacts the Moon at more than twice the speed of a bullet, causing an impact that results in a big plume or cloud of lunar debris, and possibly water.

Take a look at the earth orbit movie in the web page.

Mission

These are all amazing wonders of our technological capability. It is only that we fail to appreciate these wonders.

now i understand perfectly...10q man for the videos they were great....now im just appreciating the fact that all this is going to be done un manned....i wish luck to all th NASA team of scientists

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 06:58 AM
link   
If it really is for cost effective reasons, it says a lot about the state of mind of our civilisation.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 07:10 AM
link   
This is the exact reason NASA have become non relevant. What a major waste of freakin money! They could have at least checked to see if there was some cheese first! Geez!

IRM

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 07:42 AM
link   
i just thought about the web bot prediction 'global coastal event, lots of finger pointing'. do you think this could effect our oceans or is the blast to small?

either way i really dont agree with this and am quite angry now.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 08:14 AM
link   
There not trying to find water, they are trying to find out if the moon really is made of cheese.

Tax payers money is going to good use in my opinion.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by iwannaseethisshipgodown
i just thought about the web bot prediction 'global coastal event, lots of finger pointing'. do you think this could effect our oceans or is the blast to small?

As I posted on another copy of this thread, the moon has a mass of 7.3477×10^22 kg and an orbital speed of 1.022 km/s. P(inertia) = mv, therefore the moon's inertia = 75093494000000000000000 kg km/sec or
75093494000000000000000000 Newtons
The upper stage that will strike the moon is 2000 kg and the impact velocity will be 2.5km/sec. Assuming they directly targeted it to hit along the axis of the moon's orbital motion (they aren't, it's going to hit the pole and could never cause the moon's orbital period to change) the energy it would impart to the moon's orbital motion is a mere 5000 kg km/sec or 5000000 Newtons. That's 6.658x10^-18 % of the moon's orbital energy, in other words, completely insignificant.

Why are you angry? We slammed a probe headlong into comet Tempel 1, did that make you angry? We slammed 5 S-IVB stages into the moon during the Apollo program, so how is this any different (let me guess, everyone here thinks that was fake)?

[edit on 18-6-2009 by ngchunter]

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 10:26 AM
link   
INT NASA WAR ROOM UNKNOWN TIME OF DAY

Government and Nasa officials are sitting around at a large round table discussing new business.

OFFICIAL #1
Ok gentlemen we have all these extra bombs and taxpayer money to blow, what should be do?

Everyone sits and ponders for a few moments before a single arm shoots upward.

OFFICIAL #1
Yes you in the back, what do you have?

The man stands up as to project his voice to the entire room.

YOUNG MAN
Well i was thinking how about we bomb the moon and see if there is any water spray, we can pass it off to the public as legitimate spending for teh advancement of human life.

OFFICIAL #1
Great idea Johnson, meeting adjourned.

FADE TO BLACK

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by ngchunter

As I posted on another copy of this thread, the moon has a mass of 7.3477×10^22 kg and an orbital speed of 1.022 km/s. P(inertia) = mv, therefore the moon's inertia = 75093494000000000000000 kg km/sec or
75093494000000000000000000 Newtons
The upper stage that will strike the moon is 2000 kg and the impact velocity will be 2.5km/sec. Assuming they directly targeted it to hit along the axis of the moon's orbital motion (they aren't, it's going to hit the pole and could never cause the moon's orbital period to change) the energy it would impart to the moon's orbital motion is a mere 5000 kg km/sec or 5000000 Newtons. That's 6.658x10^-18 % of the moon's orbital energy, in other words, completely insignificant.

Why are you angry? We slammed a probe headlong into comet Tempel 1, did that make you angry? We slammed 5 S-IVB stages into the moon during the Apollo program, so how is this any different (let me guess, everyone here thinks that was fake)?

well you know some long numbers so you must be a maths genius here to educate us all.

it makes me angry that they think they own the moon and can do what ever they like to it. it makes me angry that we think we own this planet and can do what ever we want to it, its like another person said if any far eastern country want to do this there would be uproar, and there are many other ways to find out if theres water up there other than shooting a rocket at it. if this ok where does it stop.

as for it being fake, i dont know, but i have an open mind and dont reach conclusions or answers because theres always more to find out.

but heres my questions to you. do you really beleive everything you read in the papers or the news tells us? do you believe our governments are telling the truth? and do you believe the human race has progressed the best way it could?

sorry for being angry and passionate about this world but i would question myself as a human being if i didn't.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   

well you know some long numbers so you must be a maths genius here to educate us all.

it makes me angry that they think they own the moon and can do what ever they like to it.

We did this before with an even bigger rocket; nothing bad happened. How has your moon been hurt by 5 saturn Vs? How will it be hurt by 1 centaur stage?

its like another person said if any far eastern country want to do this there would be uproar,

Japan just crashed Selene into the moon and I didn't hear any uproar, except by those individuals who think we're waging interplanetary war with mooninites.

and there are many other ways to find out if theres water up there other than shooting a rocket at it.

This is by far the easiest and least contaminating way to do it.

if this ok where does it stop.

Why wouldn't this be ok?

as for it being fake, i dont know, but i have an open mind and dont reach conclusions or answers because theres always more to find out.

Saying there's "always more to find out" therefore we can't conclude it really happened is a terrible argument from ignorance. Let me help you out; it wasn't fake.
www.astr.ua.edu...
www.astr.ua.edu...
www.astr.ua.edu...
All of these pictures show the S-IVB on the way to the moon during apollo, tracked by observers on the ground.

do you really beleive everything you read in the papers or the news tells us?

I don't have to to know that Apollo happened as stated; it was witnessed by many astronomers back on earth.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Unless I've missed this in the various stories, when exactly is it expected to hit the moon?

Day, time? I know its set to launch today around 5pm EST here in the states. But when exactly should we be looking UP?

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by amongus
Unless I've missed this in the various stories, when exactly is it expected to hit the moon?

Day, time? I know its set to launch today around 5pm EST here in the states. But when exactly should we be looking UP?

October 8, 2009. Two days after my birthday, w00t.
lcross.arc.nasa.gov...
It looks to me like I'll be able to see the moon at that moment if the weather is clear. I'll definately be watching closely with my telescope for the impact, maybe I'll even set up a webcast.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I think they are trying to destroy evidence.

Why would anyone be looking for water on the moon?

They're trying to keep us from seeing something by blowing it up.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by KSPigpen
Why would anyone be looking for water on the moon?

For one thing, water ice on the moon would be incredibly useful to future explorers who could break it down into hydrogen and oxygen for fuel and air.

They're trying to keep us from seeing something by blowing it up.

Considering they're targeting a crater that has never seen sunlight, they haven't seen it either and it's at no risk of being seen. Does this also mean that the Apollo S-IVB's were for destroying evidence? If so, evidence of what?

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
"We did this before with an even bigger rocket; nothing bad happened. How has your moon been hurt by 5 saturn Vs? How will it be hurt by 1 centaur stage?"

its not my moon its not your moon its not our moon. how do you know nothing bad happened up there.

"Japan just crashed Selene into the moon and I didn't hear any uproar, except by those individuals who think we're waging interplanetary war with mooninites."

japan isn't one the countries i was refering to and i think you know that.

"This is by far the easiest and least contaminating way to do it."

so it is contaminating then?

"Saying there's "always more to find out" therefore we can't conclude it really happened is a terrible argument from ignorance. Let me help you out; it wasn't fake."

i never said it was fake i said. how am i ignorant? i always want to know more.

I don't have to to know that Apollo happened as stated; it was witnessed by many astronomers back on earth.

once again i never stated it didn't happen, remember i never come to conclusions.

i dont think i'll bother replying to you anymore so you can say whatever you like call me whatever you want and come to a conclusion on someone you never meet. you didn't even answer all my questions but you know what i dont think i care.

p.s every now and then you might want to pull your head out of your arse for air, if its not stuck there.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join