It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

India Far side of the Moon photos - oddities

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 11:56 PM
link   
PANCAKE BATTER!

That's what it reminds me of. It was bugging me that I couldn't think of it.
It looks like pancake batter just as it hits the hot pan.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by scubagravy

I can't explain it but will comment that sometimes the craters look more like domes. I mean I could swear I'm looking at domes...

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Hi again, moon fans.

I repeat, or say it better : At the bottom of the first photos,
I talk about a dust/dirt "lake". What I did MEAN was it is a
DRY "lake", between """"s, because english is not my primary
langage.

The bottom of the crater is a bit "filled" with smaller dust or dirt,
than what we see around its walls.

Blue skies.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker
reply to post by GuyverUnit I

Again, if I was not clear before....I should be now. The concept of "mud" on the Lunar surface is not going to coincide with prevailing knowledge of the environment, ON the Lunar surface!!!!

Prevailing understanding is: Liquid water cannot exist on the surface of the Moon. Therefore, 'mud' cannot exist.
Ah HAHHH...
Didn't they just announce that NASA was now searching for evidence of water on the moon?

EDIT- oops, you stated "surface" of moon. O well, here are some links anyway.

RE-Edit- It may be possible
From second link
"The debate has endured since the early 1960's: could there be water ice hiding in deep, dark craters near the Moon’s poles, left untouched by sunlight?"

These are pictures from the dark side of the moon. Could this be such a crater?

Evidence Of Water Found Deep Within The Moon: Dampens Moon-formation Theory
Ice on the Moon? NASA, ISRO May Collaborate to Find Out

[edit on 18-6-2009 by GuyverUnit I]

[edit on 18-6-2009 by GuyverUnit I]

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by ablue07

Please see my post, above!

On one of the the slopes I noticed a long shadow.

This is because of the angle of the Sun, as it illuminates the 'moonscape'.

I'm not sure if it's a boulder casting a long shadow because of the suns angle or if its an artificial object like a tower.

See above...casting a long shadow is the obvious reason....so, you gat that right!!

I can't tell if this is a mountain or a crater either. In any case the flat area strikes me as odd somehow.

Again, it is a trick of the light. It is most likely a depression 'within' the crater. Exactly why this phenomenom would manifest?? THAT is a question best left to those who can 'model' the sorts of impact forces involved.

BUT,the best way to understand what happened in that, or in any other specific crater that shows anomalies, is to actually go there, and investigate.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by GuyverUnit I

Guyver.....I wasn't disputing the possibility of water ice on the Moon...

In fact, I have, quite often, proposed that based ON the possibility of water ice, on the Moon (most likely at the poles) I feel that the best place for any initial Human presence if wishing to make a permanent base, would be nearer the poles....not only because of the possibility of H2O, but for other practical reasons.

Disadvantage to locating at the poles would be: Lack of the rotational velocity as an orbital assist, for any missions that wished to launch from the Moon....but, since its escape velocity is so much lower than Earth's.....this is likely not so important. ANY launch facility could be located in other areas, once the technology to A) build a viable Human Base and, B) Once established, the techonolgy will follow, to build facilities for launching other Space Missions.....

EDIT because, this needs some clarification.

WE used a multi-stage launch vehicle (Saturn V) for the Apollo missions.

For comparison, the Shuttle is a 'Two-Stage" system....but, it is designed to only achieve Low Earth Orbit (LEO).

The real problem, when considering conventional rocketry technology, is the "Gravity Well", as it's called, of the planet Earth.

In order to utilize conventional rocketry, as shown to the public, for deeper "long-term manned missions"....there are a lot of issues to be considered.

Leaving the protection of the Earth's magnetosphere, for more than about a week to ten days?? That will have to be addressed. Apollo subjected the Astronouts to only minimal extra radiaton exposure. Missions that last for months??? THEY will require better protection.

There are a myriad of other concerns.....based on current technology. AND, everything in the future is going to be quadruple-checked....(we hope)...because any deaths will severly inhibit future funding, at NASA!!!

[edit on 6/18/0909 by weedwhacker]

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

Thank you Warren!!
You are keeping busy ultimately!
Good job.
S/F

Happy

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Ok i think what the person who posted this image wants us to look at are those objects

i see three

that change position in each of the three photos

something is moving around or walking on the surface you have to look closly though

also it appears that there are several circular objects which appear to be metallic scattered about

does anyone else see this??

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Interesting but I can't see water or mud.

Where the hell is PHAGE anyway?

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 02:59 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 03:57 AM
link   
IMO the only odd thing about the pics in the op is that it looks photoshopped. The texture of the center looks as if its from another part of the moon, almost like they used the cloning tool to cover something up. It is NASA so why not. They really need to learn how to use it though i could do better than that. Just wish i had photoshop still...

PEACE!!!

[edit on 04/16/2009 by Lichter daraus]

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 04:17 AM
link   
Instead of water being on the moon, wouldn't it be more likely that the comet that made the crater contained a large quantity of ice?

I do think that's exactly what it is though.. moon mud.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 05:05 AM
link   

If this were a crater then should there not be rubble at the bottom ?

Another thing (I know zero of the subject jsut need explanation) why doe the appear to be shadows going in 2 driections. The hill siims to have a shadow at around 7 oclock yet the little dot thing has a shadow going the opposite way.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 07:12 AM
link   
oh my god

someone is casting a shadow

oh my god

the shadow is in a different place in each picture

far out

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by moocowman

moocow, look at examples here on Earth.

One big light (the Sun) casts shadows.....but shadows depend on the surface they are cast on.

Just look at a shadow, of a pole, cast on a curb in the street, for instance....

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by GuyverUnit I
reply to post by DarksDeception

Cool, at least that shows I'm not crazy. Strange maybe, but not crazy.

It is plausable that you're both crazy..

I jest, I jest, neat images..

[edit on 18-6-2009 by brokenheadphonez]

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by scubagravy
can anybody explain this to me please??

The anomally at the 8 o'clock position

[edit on 17/6/2009 by scubagravy]

I take it you are referring to the anomaly in the bright small crater, that sits at the 8 o'clock position inside the large crater.

In the middle of the small crater is a strange shape that is symmetrical and partially covers the floor of the crater. It either looks like something has been censored out, a graphical artefact, or a "thing".

It definitely doesn't look like it should be there.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by General_Salazar

In the middle of the small crater is a strange shape that is symmetrical and partially covers the floor of the crater.

It's known as a "shadow". It is the shadowing of the small crater's rim, and the uneven surface of the crater's floor.

At the risk of repeating myself, the photos were taken whilst the Sun was at a low, or oblique, angle. This accentuates the shadows.

Compare to GoogleEarth photos....they are usually taken (or posted) when the Sun is nearly vertical, to minimize shadows. When GoogleEarth shows a car, in an image, we already know how large a car is supposed to be. A boulder on the Moon??? No frame of reference. We have to then understand the pixel resolution of the photo, etc......in order to guess at size. The shadows help, in those calculations.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by General_Salazar

Thank you, finally someone saw my post. It raises alot of questions, weedwhacker the man of answers has ignored the pic, maybe it puzzles him too, the lighting in this picture in particular seems to contradict itsself. I have no conclusion as yet. ITS ODD!!

Just noticed your post weedwhacker, your idea is plausable....but, i dunt know.

[edit on 18/6/2009 by scubagravy]

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Just noticed your post weedwhacker, your idea is plausable....but, i dunt know.

Well, thanks for that!! I'll take plausible...because, it is open to interpretation (and power of suggestion, no?)

EDIT: If phage, or NGC were here they'd do a better job of explaining than I ever could! OH! And ArMaP!!! He's especially clever when it comes to images.....
Second EDIT, for scuba. I took another good, long and hard look at that mini crater-within-a-crater. I still see just that -- a small impact within a larger (and obviously older) impact crater. Here's a guess....pure guess work, mind you!!

First BIG impact....lots of energy and with energy, comes heat. Changes the regolith...the 'topsoil'...of the Lunar surface. How?? NOT sure, would have to ask a geologist (or selenologist??)

ANYWAY....sometime later, a smaller impact event just happens to fall within the larger, and older impact site. It distributes the regolith that had already been affected from the big impact and this new disturbance has a higher albedo than surrounding "topsoil"....so, it stands out.

It's a beautiful thing to behold....but, perfectly understandable when you comprehend all of the physics, and other factors, involved.

THIRD edit, for scuba: Love your dog!!!

[edit on 6/18/0909 by weedwhacker]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join