It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Racism marches still allowed?!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Oatmeal
reply to post by LeoVirgo

What the country stands for is Freedom of Speech. In your scenario who would you have decide which speech is "correct" and which isn't.

Speech that uses and destroys the image of our flag.
Speech that promotes people to die.

Everyone could take a vote on these 2 things.

EVERYONE...the people.

Should a group be allowed to change the image of our flag to represent a hate group?

Should a group be allowed to promote a physical and violent threat to a race in a public place with a permit?

Let the people vote. If it doesnt get passed...then I at least know that my fellow Americans decided for themselves that this is a freedom of speech that should be allowed.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Way back when I lived in a city, various groups that I would characterize as having a racist agenda would legally and lawfully have a parade or protest.

People's passions run so strong and naturally those opposing the gathering would also congregate. I personally witnessed several times the marchers of the groups taunting those opposed to their ideals, and frequently the opposers stepped over the line and were arrested.

I completely believe and endorse the freedoms of speech afforded these groups, however when their demonstration slides into that shadow area of vocalizing hate, then I consider that a hate crime....... for example, screaming "kill the [racial invective]". If a group is marching and chanting, for example, "white power", while I don't share their ideals, I don't have a problem with that sort of demonstration. If they are espousing committing a crime or intent to commit or incite violence upon anyone, then that is the place, I believe, where the law has been broken.

I always sort of appreciated being able to look upon the faces of the marchers of racist groups........ try to fix their features in my mind.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join