It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you say thank you for applause?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

I feel the same way that you do.
I just figured I couldn't say thanks cause it pretty much says "do not reply" and also I get embarrassed like "oh god they read what I wrote"
I am a painfully shy person so it's just awkward for me when someone actually pays attention to me.

But I do appreciate the mods 100% they are all great and have to deal with too much BS at times and always handle themselves in such a graceful, polite, and appropriate way.

IMO I think that one of the best ways to show appreciation and respect towards the mods is to always handle yourself in a mature productive manner while discussing things on ATS as it helps add to the community they all work so hard to keep going and also makes their jobs a little tiny bit easier, and also keeping this in mind during heated debates remember that you may be angry with that one person but as a whole remember that the Mods are ultimately going to have to be the ones who have to deal with the situation if it crosses the line.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Hey, the way I see it, when I give an applause - I'm thanking you! There's really no need to thank me for a "thank you".

But it's nice.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

I'm always honored when i receive an applause, and appreciate the fact that someone thought highly of one of my posts and took the time to say so.

I always thank the person that applauded me. However i don't respond to the applause, i send a U2U directly to the person that applauded me.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

Sometimes with a query, if I'm surprised that a particular post was applauded.

I think that mods generally know I appreciate it.

Plus, being able to read such "stunning insight" should be thanks enough for them

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 05:21 AM
link   
Yes, of course.

I always say thank you.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by CX
So although we are told not to reply to any applause that is u2u'd to us, i would like to say thank you to all the staff here.

A little appreciation goes a long way when you've had a headfull looking at this place for hours lol.

CX.

Hmmmm.....Fishing for another 'Applause', what?

Cheers!

CX

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by mikesingh

Originally posted by CX
So although we are told not to reply to any applause that is u2u'd to us, i would like to say thank you to all the staff here.

A little appreciation goes a long way when you've had a headfull looking at this place for hours lol.

CX.

Hmmmm.....Fishing for another 'Applause', what?

Cheers!

Lol..well it hasn't worked.

Nah, i'm just glad this thread has cleared up something that has bugged me for a while now. Like many here, i now feel a bit bad for not replying with a thank you before, but i just took the "Do not reply to this" a bit too literally.

You watch, we'll get thread in a months time from the mods who are getting fed up with thank yous in thier inbox lol.

CX.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 06:23 AM
link   
I don't usually publicly thank MODS who applauded me. But I marked them. That way, I can remember and that I will be somehow able to reciprocate small things like that.

That being said, it's been ages since I received my last applaud from the MOD

[edit on 18-6-2009 by searching_for_truth]

[edit on 18-6-2009 by searching_for_truth]

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by searching_for_truth

But I marked them.

Thank you, thank you!! That gave me a good laugh. I imagined you spraying the computer screen, in order to "mark" them!!

(I know what you meant....but, ya gotta admit, it came out funny!!!)

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 08:24 AM
link   
I must say that I've never replied to an applause. mainly because of the "do not reply" bit in the U2U. (also becasue i've probably pissed off more mods than have applauded me, and i forget who I've upset *embarassed smiley* )

Also because other than being nice to recieve, I see no actual purpose in them.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Acidtastic

That's what we really need!! A new 'smiley'!!

'embarrassed'....?

Or, maybe 'contrite'??

That one is sad, could fill the bill.....

edit:

Actually, this :bnghd: fills the bill, quite well, for contriteness...perhaps?

[edit on 6/18/0909 by weedwhacker]

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by titorite
reply to post by Scramjet76

Buddy my applause are far and few inbetween. Apparently I do not say interesting things often... and thats ok. People seem to like my writing and that makes me feel good, But when I get applause it does make my ATS day.

Well like I said... doesn't matter so much without our beloved post bar now..

Besides, applausess aren't all that is. I wish I had more stars, flags, and replies for example. Flags and replies are what get your thread on the front "homepage" of ATS.

My point is that ATS offers many extra little incentives (like applause, stars, flags) to get us posting quality stuff. But I'm assuming the vast majority of ATS comes here to read, write, and discuss topics of interest to us. They don't come here for the coffee.

You may think its so 2007 and thats cool. But I like it and I thank all that took the time to think enough about one of my posts to applaud it.

You stop there? I find out their personal email and send them online thank you cards lol.

Nah.... I was just making humor when I said its so 2007. I do like applauses just like everyone else. All of the staff here are sharp people. It's an honour to get an applause and I still remember my first one..... and it wasn't on ATS.... was on PTS. PTS rocked because you got 1500 points per applause!

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Scramjet76

Well like I said... doesn't matter so much without our beloved post bar now..

Hah! Hahahah! Bwahahahahah!!!

Oh my.......

The "post bar" was such a bone of contention!!! NO one seemed to understand its origins, or function...not to diminish its importance, mind you. Symbolism, that's all. New feature?? More symbolism, but at least defined....

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I don't mind getting a u2u from a member but my usual response is, "I appreciate it but thank YOU". It's about YOUR excellent contribution.

But who applauds who? Staff can't applaud each other but if a fellow staffer has put something exceptional on the board I shoot them a u2u "Applause" and link them to the post I'm referring to. Members could do that with fellow members as well.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker

The "post bar" was such a bone of contention!!! NO one seemed to understand its origins, or function...not to diminish its importance, mind you. Symbolism, that's all. New feature?? More symbolism, but at least defined....

Lol how was the post bar not defined? It got bigger the more you posted and changed color the more applause... its gone forever.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Hey, the way I see it, when I give an applause - I'm thanking you! There's really no need to thank me for a "thank you".

But it's nice.

Feel the same way...

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I always say thanks straight off if it's from a mod or fsme that I know of. It's pretty rude not to. Now and then, it's from a Mod I haven't seen before so it can take a while to wait for a post to u2u them from. Being fairly Pavlovian, applause encourages me. I've sent 'imaginary applause' back once or twice for the great work mods/fsmes do on their boards.

Slightly OT, I sometimes think it'd be a good idea if members could send a 100points off their own account to fellow members as 'member applause.' I see some ATSers making great posts that I want to applaud with more than a star. There's some bright lights that can get lost in the midst of long threads.

Human nature loves appreciation whether giving or receiving it

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Egads!

You applauseses are so few and far between that should I ever have the privilege of receiving one I'll be composing a "thank you" dissertation for thee ... perhaps even some romantic poetry.

That's what I'll do ...

Deal with it!

CX

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kandinsky
Slightly OT, I sometimes think it'd be a good idea if members could send a 100points off their own account to fellow members as 'member applause.' I see some ATSers making great posts that I want to applaud with more than a star.

Thats an excellent idea, one that would definately get my vote.

I think i've only used my points a couple of times in all the years i've been here, and would love to be able to do something more usefull with them.

Maybe you could suggest this in the ideas thread?

CX.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Let's clear this up...

The "Do not reply to this U2U" has nothing to do with not replying to the staffer who applauded you.

It's merely to let you know that it's an automated U2U and your reply will be lost in the ether of our data base and the staff member will never see it.

By ALL MEANS send a thank you directly to the staff member who applauded you if you feel like it. Just remember you have to compose a new U2U, replying to the automated won't do you any good.

Springer...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join