It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Social networks support Iran election protests

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Social networks support Iran election protests

www.msnbc.msn.com

The 30,000 to 40,000 people filling Haft-e Tir Square to protest the Iran election Wednesday seemed just a fraction to those taking to the Internet to do the same. While the human element remains an essential tool of social protest, technology’s power to usurp government censorship continues to evolve.

Despite the government of Iran’s attempts to limit Internet interaction, as well as the country’s comparatively patchy network, Iranian citizens are still able to access social networks.

(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 17/6/2009 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
There are countries where social networking could be quite dangerous. It doesn't take much for those who don't do that well in the politics to rally popular opposition through the Internet.

In the Western world, the Internet is not dangerous, because it carries mostly harmless bitching and groundless allegations, but there are countries elsewhere where folks have a short fuse.

My recommendation to the leaders of those countries is to pull the plug on the Internet communication where it matters during elections. But that it is a double-edged weapon.

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 17/6/2009 by Mirthful Me]

join