It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A New Twist! Bill Maher vs. a Liberal?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Hilarious comedian and (mostly) liberal commentator Bill Maher, upset with President Obama's celebrity-seeking...

Here:newsbusters.org...

Even Bill Maher Knows Obama is 'Overexposed,' Too Much of a Celebrity
By Dave Pierre (Bio | Archive)
June 13, 2009 - 13:24 ET

"Remember during the campaign when John McCain attacked [Barack] Obama for acting like a celebrity and we all laughed at the grumpy old shellshocked fool? Well, it turns out he was right ... It's getting to where you can't turn on your TV without seeing Obama."

That's not a Republican talking. It's Obama supporter Bill Maher in an op-ed in the Los Angeles Times, "Enough With the Obamathon." Maher - like most clear-thinking individuals - has pretty much seen enough of the never-ending adulation and exposure being heaped on President Obama. (I must admit: I never thought I'd use the words "clear-thinking" and "Maher" in the same sentence. But Maher's op-ed proves the old adage that even a broken clock is right twice a day.)

From Maher's article:

President Obama should just join the cast of "I'm a Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here!" It's not that farfetched; he's been on everything else.

I'm still a fan, but there's a fine line between being transparent and being overexposed. Every time you turn on the TV, there's Obama. He's getting a puppy! He's eating a cheeseburger with Joe Biden! He's taking the wife to Broadway and Paris -- this is the best season of "The Bachelor" yet!

I get it: You love being on TV. I love my bong, but I take it out of my mouth every once in a while. The other day, I caught myself saying to a friend, "Don't tell me if he's fixed the economy yet, I'm Tivo-ing it."

Also:

I mean, selling the personal part to stay popular, I'm all for it, but you got us already. We like you, we really like you! You're skinny and in a hurry and in love with a nice lady. But so's Lindsay Lohan. And like Lohan, we see your name in the paper a lot, but we're kind of wondering when you're actually going to do something.

Near the end of the article, Maher can't resist the proverbial cheap shots at President George W. Bush. But, for the most part, Maher's overall "Obamathon" premise is correct: Obama is too much "celebrity" and not enough "President."

I'm glad that Obama is president, but the "Audacity of Hope" part is over. Right now, I'm hoping for a little more audacity.

[edit on 17-6-2009 by OldThinker]

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   
You have to appreciate Bill's point here...right?

I'm certainly not upset/down on President Obama, but its a bit overboard, huh?

OT

[edit on 17-6-2009 by OldThinker]

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Here are the details from the LATimes op-ed page....

Enough with the Obamathon
The president is on TV more than the ShamWow guy, but I want to see a little more action.

link: www.latimes.com...

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by OldThinker

Bill is agreeing with what a lot of folks on this site are saying...let's have a little less sizzle, and a little more steak. But Maher is not hoping Obama fails.

But I digress...let the Maher slagging begin, oh predictable wing of the right.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

Originally posted by OldThinker

Bill is agreeing with what a lot of folks on this site are saying...let's have a little less sizzle, and a little more steak. But Maher is not hoping Obama fails.

But I digress...let the Maher slagging begin, oh predictable wing of the right.

Nor is OT!!!!!!

Heck, we are all in this together, right?

Thx for the time there JohnnyC

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

Nice plaid!

OT

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I am certainly not a fan of Maher however, his recent statements about Obama reflect the views of a growing population of disillusioned Obama supporters. The luster of our new 9-5 President is starting to tarnish amongst these folks. Especially the voters who barely leaned in his direction on election day.

My in-laws, both retired, are finally starting to feel like they have been hoodwinked. I am sure that there are many others that feel the same way.

20/20 hindsight is a cruel reality when it comes to our nation, our rights and the egomaniac that was elected/positioned into office.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Great points...

I am holding out hope he is swayed by the more reasonable leadership in dc...think I am naïve

ot

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
20/20 hindsight is a cruel reality when it comes to our nation, our rights and the egomaniac that was elected/positioned into office.

Starboard, Dude...we're talking about the new guy...not the last one!

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   

That description would apply across the board...for that position, right?

OT

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Exactly! Barry Soetoro is the egomaniac I was referring to. The man thinks way to highly of himself, cares to much about what other think of him, and just wants to be loved by all. He is a media wench if there ever was one. I wouldn't be surprised if he films himself in bed with his wife just so he can watch later. Although, it is rather tough to get a teleprompter positioned just right in the bedroom. Perhaps he sports the earbud instead. The man can't perform in front of a camera without a little coaching.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   

I wouldn't be surprised if he films himself in bed with his wife just so he can watch later. Although, it is rather tough to get a teleprompter positioned just right in the bedroom. Perhaps he sports the earbud instead.

That's terrible....

Maybe Maher, could use that one friday nite on the show....you'll probably get a royalty

OT

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho Barry Soetoro is the egomaniac I was referring to... I wouldn't be surprised if he films himself in bed with his wife just so he can watch later. Although, it is rather tough to get a teleprompter positioned just right in the bedroom. Perhaps he sports the earbud instead. The man can't perform in front of a camera without a little coaching.

I'm not sure that this is the forum, or the thread in which to indulge your little fantasies.

You might want to take them somewhere else.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 04:46 AM
link   
You know, Bill Maher is such a dick, but I can't help but like him.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 05:38 AM
link   

OP doesn't say Bush does it???

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho Barry Soetoro is the egomaniac I was referring to... I wouldn't be surprised if he films himself in bed with his wife just so he can watch later. Although, it is rather tough to get a teleprompter positioned just right in the bedroom. Perhaps he sports the earbud instead. The man can't perform in front of a camera without a little coaching.

I'm not sure that this is the forum, or the thread in which to indulge your little fantasies.

You might want to take them somewhere else.

Sorry to offend you Mr. Canuck. Perhaps I overestimated your potential sense of humor. Anyone who sports a Michael Palin avatar should be able to fluff off a joke or two. It won't happen again. Barry is a great president and I shouldn't make jokes about him.

If I say that last phrase enough perhaps it will come true some day.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 08:03 AM
link   

I'm not sure that this is the forum, or the thread in which to indulge your little fantasies. You might want to take them somewhere else.

Sorry to offend you Mr. Canuck. Perhaps I overestimated your potential sense of humor. Anyone who sports a Michael Palin avatar should be able to fluff off a joke or two.

Glad you picked up on the lumberjack...but I just think that in fairness, there are limits to the shots that a politician can reasonably be expected to take.

And as a yachtsman, I know you are above all that.

Self edit to say that I concur...Bill Maher wouldn't be above stealing your joke, but he can be an arse as well, as big a fan as I am...

He is evidently no yachtsman.

[edit on 18-6-2009 by JohnnyCanuck]

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 08:50 AM
link   

I'm not sure that this is the forum, or the thread in which to indulge your little fantasies. You might want to take them somewhere else.

Sorry to offend you Mr. Canuck. Perhaps I overestimated your potential sense of humor. Anyone who sports a Michael Palin avatar should be able to fluff off a joke or two.

Glad you picked up on the lumberjack...but I just think that in fairness, there are limits to the shots that a politician can reasonably be expected to take.

And as a yachtsman, I know you are above all that.

Self edit to say that I concur...Bill Maher wouldn't be above stealing your joke, but he can be an arse as well, as big a fan as I am...

He is evidently no yachtsman.

[edit on 18-6-2009 by JohnnyCanuck]

I am a yachtsman indeed and I have had my share of Newfie Screech over the years. Perhaps I had some when I made my comments. However, I call them like I see them. Bush got bashed to the pulp by the MSM for six years. Now, Obama has misled a nation during the campaign and has been backpedaling and power grabbing ever since he took his oath. He is certainly not above any joke in my eyes. He has had it way to easy up until Maher's comments. Let it be said that I would never joke about his kids.

Obama is leading this nation down a very bumpy and treacherous road. As a Canadian you should be weary of this as well. The impact will certainly be felt in the Great White North. So, Don't through your fears into the Sea of No Cares.

top topics

join