It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IRS Moves to Ban Tax Returns Filed By All But ‘Experts’

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   

In an astonishing power grab, the Internal Revenue Service wants to license all who prepare returns for taxpayers. This means that Uncle Oscar couldn’t help his nephew prepare his income tax return unless a Washington bureaucrat grants a license.

H&R Block and the National Association of Tax Professionals (NATP) are supporting the effort by IRS Commissioner Douglas Shulman for selfish reasons: If Uncle Oscar can’t help, his nephew must pay a “licensed” preparer.

Shulman said in testimony before the House Ways and Means Committee that he expects to make his recommendations to Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner and President Obama by the end of the year.
Not Copyrighted. Readers can reprint and are free to redistribute - as long as full credit is given to American Free Press - 645 Pennsylvania Avenue SE, Suite 100 Washington, D.C. 20003

www.americanfreepress.net...

I apologize is this has been posted already. I did a forum search and "nothing" came up about this.

So even the IRS wants, and is moving in to get more powers in deciding who can file tax returns or not.

This means Americans can no longer fill their forms with the tax return programs that have been available.

Now eveyone who fills out their tax returns has to do it through a "licensed preparer" which of course we must pay.

[edited to add link]

[edit on 17-6-2009 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 10:15 AM
link   
For those who wish for peaceful change what do you think now? IRS will be making it easy for us to choose not to file with this proposed regulation. When is enough going to be enough? Things are ridiculouser than even I could imagine.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   
A racket within a racket.

If the fed is charged with bringing down the Mafia who is charged with bringing down the fed?

This reminds me of how the NRA backed legislation in states that would mandate "training" for pistol permits. Of course the NRA would do the training and it wouldnt cost any less than $100 a class. A round about ban on the poor bearing arms. I was one of those NRA instructors. Still cant get all the dirt off.

Maybe I should become an accountant? Mandate my service and the prices just doubled.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I always felt that this system was inheritly unfair. Aside from the obvious problems with the taxes themselves, the fact that they have become so inconprehensible that the average lay person cannot do them without help makes it unfair. Are they trying to socially engineer a society of tax experts *smirk*

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   
It's a sad day whe little 16 year old Johnny has to hire an accountant to fill out his 1040EZ form which all info is on his single W2 from his part time bus boy job at Denny's.

Just as insurers have monopolies on us, Now the IRS wishes to extend forced preparation through professionals, even when a 4th grader could do some of these simpplisticreturns.

I'm all ckoked up inside.
What a wonderful day

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Do you have a link for this story? I wish to send it to everyone I freakin' know. This is the people's country, that is our White House, our Capital and so on. When is it going to be enough? When will we rise and take back our country and get rid of this corrupt, thieving government and replace it with real honest Americans. The government has been controlling us for far too long. They lie and keep secrets, I know, it's in our best interests. BS!!!!
The IRS will NOT get away with this!!!!!!!!! I will be sending a few emails to my state reps and letting them know that THEY WORK FOR US.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by sickofitall2012

I apologize about not giving the link originally, i just woke up and haven't had my share of caffeine yet.

The link is in the OP now.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   
If I can't complete my own tax forms I'm not filing. This is ridiculous.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by serendipitynow

I don't think this means we cannot do our *own* tax returns. It means we can't have someone sign off on the form as a tax prep assistor unless they have a license. Seriously, do you think that the IRS will actually know if mom and dad helped little johnny from Denny's to complete his tax form?

Still, what bugs me is that if you leave the world of the 1040EZ, you pretty much *have* to have help to make sense of it all. Wonder how this affects people like Intuit and their TurboTax product? Would they have to assign a licensed Tax Prep Agent to each user?

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Oh this is just great. I do my own taxes every year. I am self employed and keep very detailed records of my spending since a lot of my expenses are considered work expenses and are tax write offs. I had it done once by a licensed tax preparer and it cost me 300 bucks! They also made a mistake because they were not as thorough as I was. This is just another way for them to get more money out of us..GRRR!

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   
alright im going to be get my degree in accountancy. Im sure by the time i graduate ill have a sea of clients, because they have to.

(Meniacle evil laughing as cash rolls in on its own in my head)

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Hazelnut

Ha ha ha! Ridiculouser!

Seriously this is all the push I needed not to file anymore. I'm telling you one of the keys to a revolution is for at least 70% of working Americans is NOT to file their tax returns.

How to get the word out to "normal" citizens on this type of revo is the hard part. Because once we do we might as well be on a watch list.

I think if Ron Paul can push this Fed Audit HR1207 through, then it will give him/us more push and voice on fighting the income tax.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I guess it's time to revisit the alternative tax issue again... I wish we just had a national sales tax and we all wouldn't have to worry about April 15 anymore.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   
H&R Blockheads did my taxes last year. I had claimed "0" dependents and still I owed $300 plus dollars and even got charged about that much for H&R Blockheads to do my taxes. Walked out of there mad as hell and told them they would never see me back, ever. Must have pissed them off.

Anyway. You are going to see more of this bizarre #. Bottom line is they need to move money some way some how. They don't care about right or wrong. They've spent all of our sales, income, ssi taxes on their friends (not H$R thieves, the gubermint). One you are forced into it by law however they will slowly tighten down the screws, because it's law ya know, therefore it is just, right, and gods will. I think a good kick in the head with steel toe boots would encourage a change of heart. Amazing what physical pain does.

Funniest of all is that is mostly over income tax, which as best as I can tell is illegal anyway. Yay for the mafia, I mean IRS.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Hells yeah Obama! Give us the CHANGE we need!

I can sum it all up in two words folks:

TAX REVOLT!

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I notice the meme of 'continuing education' being rung over and over lately.

The presumed premise id that we are just too feeble-minded as a people to be trusted with determining our own financial liability because the concept of 1 + 1 = 2 is far outside of the expected level of mathematical expertise required.

I can tell you how much we should owe, but evidently, that's not good enough for the racketeers behind the nearly century-old tax scam.

Now we have to ensure 'revenue flow' into the private "edumacation" industry..., soon by force of law. Just like insurance.

Are we tired of this yet?

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Won't happen in the following sense.

When I was 12 my father taught me how to file his tax returns and made me do it because, "someday you'll have to do it" and it was no 1040 EZ thats for sure and I never signed the thing saying I helped prepare it needless to say.

Not to mention if it was directed toward the Uncle doing it for his nephew scenario so what, he doesn't have to sign it saying he helped prepare it. Unless it's mandatory now days to?

No one will ever do my taxes for me ever. If I can't do them then they will not see a return or dime from me period. In fact if I do have to have someone prepare it for a fee then I will just take the legale route of not having to pay taxes period.

That being said I'm sure it's meant to refer to some other situation just badly worded right now or for their sake I hope that's the case.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I don't think this will fly. There is a good portion of American's who live overseas. There isn't an H&R Block around the corner that they can go to if they need assistance. Many live hours away from an Embassy/Consulate. There is no way that if I need a little clarification that I'm going to waste a day driving to Frankfurt, so that I can ask one question had have some random guy sign the form.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Well, I just read the article again and I don't really see anything in there that says people will not be allowed to do their own tax returns. But there is a hidden nugget in all this that bothers me.

As it stands right now, if your tax prep agent is a shyster and you submit a tax return that is bad because of them, you still get in trouble. I don't see this law doing anything about that. If anything, you'll get in more trouble because you didn't check the tax prep agent's license to verify it's legitimacy.

This can only lead to tears.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

Alright everybody, calm down!

Electric, I think you've "short-circuited" your fellow ATS members on this one. You should have done a bit more research on the topic before lending any credence to a biased, slanted and obviously sensationalized article.

The IRS is NOT moving to "ban all but Experts" from preparing tax returns as the referenced story claims.

The IRS IS considering whether to require all PAID tax preparers to be liscensed.

BIG difference!

Essentially, the IRS is saying that, if you are going to charge some one to prepare their taxes for them, the IRS is going to demand that you can prove that you know what you're doing.

The IRS wants a way that the agency, and the taxpayers, can hold the so-called "professional" tax preparers accountable for the work they do.

Take a look at this article from the WallStreet Journal:

online.wsj.com...

Originally printed by The Wall Street Journal On-line
WASHINGTON – The Internal Revenue Service is working on new rules that could require paid tax preparers to be licensed to improve tax compliance and reduce fraud, IRS Commissioner Doug Shulman said Thursday. (Emphasis mine)

How easily we sheep are led by a shrill voice...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join