It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PBS to Begin Phasing Out Religious Programming From Airwaves

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 09:54 AM
link   
PBS has made its primary moves toward a religions-free array of television programming from here-on-out.

Six PBS stations currently broadcast "sectarian" programs produced by local religious groups, including the morning "Mass for Shut-Ins," which is popular among elderly and ailing Catholics who cannot attend the daily service.

Under the terms of a decision reached by the PBS board Tuesday, those stations can retain their current shows. And all stations can air programs and documentaries that cover sacred topics -- even a newsworthy service, like a papal Mass.

But no new religious shows can be offered, and none of the 350 other stations may air any purely spiritual content, a move some groups say is a quiet means of phasing out religion from their airwaves.
www.foxnews.com...

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Finally a step in the right direction by content holders, this will separate the church even more.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by allsop

The only I'm disappointed by in this decision, is if they get rid of the Christmas Eve choral concerts by the St. Olaf and Mormon Tabernacle Choirs.

That's like a little Xmas tradition as background music in our household.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I guess the folks who have nothing better to do then gripe about church on television got their way.

If you don't want to watch it then change the channel. Now that they have griped long enough their will be old people that cannot go to church who will not be able to practice their religion.

Tolerance is a common mantra on this site unless it comes to religion. Sad really.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Guess PBS is big cause I don't ever see those programs.
This is the same PBS with Do Wop specials to raise money.

It somehow disappeared from the broadcast airways along with
a few others in the switch to Digital TV.

Lets hope some one wakes up and gets it together.

All stations were broadcasting DTV before the switchover date
and came in very well except for PBS. There might have been
some power directive or tuning problem among employees.

PBS is mostly an arm of the Illuminati repeating lies for their
advantage. Just as bad as UK Intel productions for cable shows.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by jd140
I guess the folks who have nothing better to do then gripe about church on television got their way.

If you don't want to watch it then change the channel. Now that they have griped long enough their will be old people that cannot go to church who will not be able to practice their religion.

Tolerance is a common mantra on this site unless it comes to religion. Sad really.

Seriously, why cant they practice their religion at home without tv, hell you don't have to go to a church to practice a religion.Why cant they go and get some literature on there religion and do it? Why cant there family help them with it if some of the elders have vision problems. Give me a break you don't need a TV let alone a TV channel to practice a religion, geez...

PEACE!!!

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by allsop
Finally a step in the right direction by content holders, this will separate the church even more.

"Separate the Church"? From what? This is a public funded channel, not a government entity, and they have the right to generally air whatever they wish.

PBS already airs plenty of scientific programs, including Wildlife shows, and Space and Astronomy based ones, as well as Military programs, Children's/Animated Entertainment ("Wishbone" and "Arthur" anyone?) and so much more. They are already a VERY diversified programming network, so I fail to see why there is any complaining in regards to Religious Programs being shown on there as well.

What next, should we attack the PBS shows which take-up partisan based views on AGW?

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lichter daraus
Seriously, why cant they practice their religion at home without tv, hell you don't have to go to a church to practice a religion.Why cant they go and get some literature on there religion and do it? Why cant there family help them with it if some of the elders have vision problems. Give me a break you don't need a TV let alone a TV channel to practice a religion, geez...

PEACE!!!

Why does it bother you that someone might wish to watch a religious program, and worship at home through such? If they had the "Atheist Hour" on television, sure, I might not agree with the program, but it IS your right to watch it and to use it for your own home based/personal purposes.

The fact that someone elses views should get under your skin and make you seemingly irate, is somewhat bigoted in nature. As long as those involved are not bringing about harm on another individual, then you have no right criticizing them, nor telling them how to worship.

[edit on 6-17-2009 by TheAgentNineteen]

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheAgentNineteen

PEACE!!!

Why does it bother you that someone might wish to watch a religious program, and worship at home through such? If they had the "Atheist Hour" on television, sure, I might not agree with the program, but it IS your right to watch it and to use it for your own home based/personal purposes.

The fact that someone elses views should get under your skin and make you seemingly irate, is somewhat bigoted in nature. As long as those involved are not bringing about harm on another individual, then you have no right criticizing them, nor telling them how to worship.

I was just saying you don't need it to practice religion at home, so whats the big deal either way. I wasn't trying to sound bigoted not my style. It was just the way i read jd's post,("I guess the folks who have nothing better to do then gripe about church on television got their way)guess i didn't realize so many had a problem with it being on tv either. Personally i don't really care if its on tv or not, i choose to not watch that stuff.I'm sorry maybe I'm wrong but, you also can't hear my tone of voice through a post so i can see why you think it was somewhat bigoted. Maybe i used some words i shouldn't have. I can admit when I'm wrong, and, well maybe i was...

PEACE!!!

[edit on 04/16/2009 by Lichter daraus]

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheAgentNineteen

PEACE!!!

I was just saying you don't need it to practice religion at home, so whats the big deal either way. I wasn't trying to sound bigoted not my style. It was just the way i read jd's post,("I guess the folks who have nothing better to do then gripe about church on television got their way)guess i didn't realize so many had a problem with it being on tv either. Personally i don't really care if its on tv or not, i choose to not watch that stuff.I'm sorry maybe I'm wrong but, you also can't hear my tone of voice through a post so i can see why you think it was somewhat bigoted. Maybe i used some words i shouldn't have. I can admit when I'm wrong, and, well maybe i was...

PEACE!!!

I assume your not implying that i am an atheist,because I'm not.
Tried to edit that in there but it didn't seem to work...

PEACE!!!

top topics

join