It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Very Costly Kiss: Senior Denied Diploma

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 05:28 AM
link   

A Very Costly Kiss: Senior Denied Diploma

buzz.yahoo.com

On Friday night, when the senior class was waiting to graduate, excitement began to grow. Students bounced a large inflatable rubber duck. The noise level rose. And then came "the kiss." When called, one student walked on stage to receive his diploma and blew a kiss to his family. The school administrator, clearly not the sentimental sort, sent the student back to his seat ... sans diploma.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Okay, I've read a few stories like this one where schools take it just too far.

I mean showing love for your family is considered bad?

Schools are right on my list after the government itself. They are agents of the government, meant to hinder our children more than teach them.

Signs of the times right? Where the simplest gesture brings the strangest reaction, usually a bad one.

But the administrators feel they were just enforcing the rules that students agreed to. At a meeting following the debacle, school superintendent Suzanne Lukas said that "if a student doesn't adhere to the expectations, then the consequences are clearly spelled out."

This isn't the first time that rambunctious (dare we say "fun"?) behavior affected a graduation ceremony at Bonny Eagle. "Four years ago we had some issues with silly string and beach balls," said Lukas.

buzz.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 05:48 AM
link   
man,, and i thought "the man" was tough when i was in school,,,, and that things were bad

where and when will it end???

it does seem children are being taught to succumb to any and all authority and trained to do exactly as told,,, no if, ands, or buts

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Yes, it is absolutely insane. When I was in school almost 20 years ago, a girl was called in the office over rumors she was dating a black guy!!!

The same girl and several of the other girl's basketball players were suspended from the team, because of a picture of them drinking champagne at the wedding of one of their mothers!

Schools are building their own coffins. Homeschooling is on the rise, parent's (finally) are getting involved again.

I hope this administrator is ridiculed by everyone that was sitting in that crowd, until they cannot get groceries and have to move away to a new town!!!

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 07:28 AM
link   
It seems school administrators have lost all sense of humor these days. In fact, I think that most of their problems are brought on by their lack of a sense of humor.

Overly strict rules CAUSE rebellion from kids - it always has. Remember the kid whose parents were the strictest on them? They were usually the most rebellious. Same thing here.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Iamonlyhuman
It seems school administrators have lost all sense of humor these days. In fact, I think that most of their problems are brought on by their lack of a sense of humor.

Overly strict rules CAUSE rebellion from kids - it always has. Remember the kid whose parents were the strictest on them? They were usually the most rebellious. Same thing here.

Perhaps if we didn't live in such a litigious society, we would all have more of a sense of humor.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 07:35 AM
link   
What's more of an event ruining spectacle, a student blowing a kiss then walking off stage or a student being denied his diploma and sent back to his seat?

School is such a con and the "administrators" like the politicians should be drug out into the street and shot.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
School is such a con and the "administrators" like the politicians should be drug out into the street and shot.

This kind of an opinion is just disgusting.

I hope a moderator comes across your post. There should be no place in the ATS community for such rhetoric.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

As a previous poster said, that is very extreme! You are so naughty

Anyhoos...shooting is too good for 'em. A simple couple of days in stocks in the centre of town, tar and feathers then run out of the district should help others realise the error of their ways.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Well, if I was his father I probably would have walked up on stage and taken the diploma denied my son or daughter for doing nothing wrong. Then I probably would've tazed about five times and arrested.

Your kids are not your's, they're the system's.

Peace

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love

Your kids are not your's, they're the system's.

You bring up an excellent point. In the US, there is a choice to educate your children in the public or private schools system.

If a parent believes the public schools' rules are too tyrannical and infringe on a child's right to "be happy," there are always private schools they can attend or they can homeschool.

This case seems pretty clear to me. You hold a graduating class-wide meeting before the graduation ceremony indicating the rules. In this case...STAY OFF THE DARN STAGE AT ALL TIMES. But guess what Johnny wanted to do, hop on stage and blow a kiss to his family. Fortunately, the entire class didn't feel the need to hop on stage and blow a kiss to their families. But, the understanding was made clear prior to the ceremony...you CHOOSE to mess up, we choose to not give you your diploma during the ceremony.

I have a feeling a few kids may think twice about jumping on stage in next year's graduation ceremony. And if they CHOOSE to do so, the district will CHOOSE to not give the diploma on-stage.

[edit on 17-6-2009 by MOFreemason]

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by MOFreemason

This case seems pretty clear to me. You hold a graduating class-wide meeting before the graduation ceremony indicating the rules. In this case...STAY OFF THE DARN STAGE AT ALL TIMES.

I just re-read the article twice and it doesn't say anywhere that they were to stay off the stage. It says "as they were on stage receiving their diplomas."

I could agree if a student blatantly disregarded such an order, but the issue here is that he bowed and blew a kiss to his mother! That did not interrupt the precession, it did not cause any stirs, it did not alter the ceremony in anyway or cause any raucous!

I have read your other posts MOFreemason, and I typically agree with you, I am also from MO, and also a Mason, but you missed the boat here on both of your posts! I wonder if you are part of the school system and a little hypersensitive to this issue?

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Let me get this straight, he didn't moon anyone, he just blew his family a
kiss, right ? Oh, that's horrible, just horrible.
And how offended those school administrators must have been ! Those
poor, out-of-touch, zero-tolerance, BS administrators.

I echo Dr. Love here. Somehow I would've gotten up on stage and asked
for the diploma, or else. ( The or else being that some pencil-necked office
administrator would get a boot up their arse !)

Now what action "really" ruined the ceremony ?

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 09:54 AM
link   

it does seem children are being taught to succumb to any and all authority and trained to do exactly as told,,, no if, ands, or buts

That's the thing that worries me, and I wonder if it has lasting effects even on people that are aware of it. I think it very well might have a lasting effect. The BS detector is a very important human tool. I think it totally gets messed with in school since things don't make any sense, and when confronting teachers or admin, they still refuse to be reasonable often times. I wonder if things sort of get pushed into the subconscious.

These are adults that we're effectively neutering. We don't seem to have a problem neutering kids, students, young people, what have you, but these people become adults which people seem to forget. To what extent are people controlled without their knowing...Even in society, are we conforming to senselessness without our knowledge? I think school contributes to those.

[edit on 17-6-2009 by ghaleon12]

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by MOFreemason

I take it you're not a fan of Garfield?

People who arent fans of Garfield whould be drug out into the street and shot.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Obviously these administrators need help. Blowing a kiss to your family is
apparently a mortal sin to them they apparently have never been kissed. Lol

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

I would have marched right up there with you Dr.

I recently attended my little sister's graduation and if they had denied her diploma for this 1,000 angry Texan's would have rushed the stage and beaten the crud out of the administraitors.

As for dragging them out and shooting them?
That's too good. Make a stockade and let them sit in the Texas Heat for a week and they'll never do such a thing again.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
The good news is he doesn't need it. He still graduated, passed the general education standard, and no one is likely ever to ask to see his diploma as proof. At least I've never been asked for mine since there are transcripts for that sort of thing. I don't even have mine anymore. It's completely valueless.

Yet things like this, worthless pieces of paper, are lorded over us as having some meaning. Where the real value should be in the mind, where education takes place.

I'd love for this young man to make a public statement wherein he tells the school administrators to use that piece of paper for the only thing paper is good for other than writing. Because he's earned that right, with or without their approval.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Well he still is a graduate and if I am not mistaken, what is given away on graduation day is just a piece of paper, the diploma is mail later.

I don't even know where my high school diploma is and when I needed to show prove of high school attendance usually all is needed is a transcript to show school completion.

Still If I was a parent of the student in question I would raise enough hell to have that particular person that deny my son or daughter;s joy on one of the most special days of their life.

Perhaps even a law sue for mental and physical suffering.

[edit on 17-6-2009 by marg6043]

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   
HAHA At my graduation last year, our parents were encouraged to bring silly string! We were allowed to blow kisses, dance and do whatever we wanted. This is just an example of a BAD school that has BAD people in it!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join