It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ohio teen who killed over video game gets 23 years

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Ohio teen who killed over video game gets 23 years

hosted.ap.org< br />

The defense claimed his age and addiction to the game made him less responsible.

In the video game "Halo 3," players shoot alien monsters that have taken over the Earth.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 11:48 PM
link   
This sounds like the old argument that somehow, nebulous pieces of media can drive the youth to murder. If it's not a comic books such as "Blade" or the devil's music like "The Beatles" telling our youth to kill or "Ozzy biting the head off live bats", etc. are driving the kids to violence then certainly it must be video games. It couldn't simply be because of other phycological imbalances that science backs up as fact... Hmm Just a thought.

hosted.ap.org< br /> (visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Rams59lb

That kid needs a desperate reality check. Games are fun and all, but how skewed does your perspective have to be to kill somebody over a video game?

Take a break every once in a while. Sheesh.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 12:00 AM
link   
obviously its the video game's fault that the parents couldnt find a way to prevent such an "addiction"

and besides...why did he have access to a gun and ammo?
it shouldve been locked up.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Kaytagg

True dat'
I just called my oldest son to remind him that I loved him and that if he had any plans on killing me after playing his PS3 and Xbox 360 to remember I can unplug the damn thing at anytime... He laughed and returned the thoughts of care. Ty "Kaytagg"

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kaytagg

but how skewed does your perspective have to be to kill somebody over a video game?

Clearly you've never had your cloudsong stolen.

(star for those who get the reference)

People who do these things have issues to begin with; I've lost count on how many times I've posted some long intelligent counter to people who try to blame violence on anything but the person. I'm a gamer, I'm sane, and frankly I'm tired of people giving me and my friends a bad name.

[edit on 6/17/2009 by eNumbra]

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by ELECTRICkoolaidZOMBIEtest

No Doubt, Right? I wonder if the DA thought of that one at all... Nope lets blame the games instead of lack of parenting. Great post ty

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by eNumbra

'eNumbra" are you sure your okay? Your not feeling the need to attack after playing video games 48 hours straight. What's wrong with you lol... I want my STAR!!!! Great post ty

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kaytagg

That kid needs a desperate reality check. Games are fun and all, but how skewed does your perspective have to be to kill somebody over a video game?

Take a break every once in a while. Sheesh.

It does not matter. A psychopath like this will kill over stupid crap anyway. I am glad he is getting 23years.

Video games are not the problem. Perhaps maybe we should check out this kids parents? I bet that is a good place to start.

I am a video game addict and I have never killed anyone, nor will I, ever.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 01:08 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Point well taken...

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 01:17 AM
link   

You said Ozzy and the bat head bite thing, but he was more famous for this song causing a teenager to commit suicide.

In this nanny state we live in we get individuals that want their money back, so to speak, against the nanny-state that made them so dependent in the first place.

The "Suicide Solution" lawsuit was one of the first to glare in the public eye.

Great thread. I am not for the nanny state. I am for dealing with life on your own...then again, I guess I can blame the media for my love for bisexuality/lesbianism (I have my own issues).

plucky

edit for details

The Case: McCollum et. al. v. CBS, Inc., et. al.

On the evening of October 26, 1984, nineteen year old John McCollum shot and killed himself while listening to the recorded music of rocker Ozzy Osbourne. That night, John listened repeatedly to several of Osbourne’s albums, including Blizzard of Ozz, Diary of a Madman, and Speak of the Devil. With his headphones on and the music playing, John placed a .22-caliber handgun to his head and took his life.

The Issue: Audience Reaction to Art: Who is Responsible? Art is intended to be evocative. But if a work of art evokes a violent or otherwise illegal response, should the artist be held responsible for the actions of his or her audience? Is this what Justice Oliver Wendall Holmes, Jr. had in mind when he stated, "[t]he most stringent protection of free speech would not protect a man in falsely shouting fire in a theater and causing a panic"?

www.tjcenter.org...

[edit on 17-6-2009 by pluckynoonez]

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Hmmmm...On another site,where they 'profile criminals' there 'making a case'(Gross Generalization) about X-Box-Live users...Last time i checked,there were somewhere between 10/20 MILLION XBL users...and under 5 convicted of serious crimes...Im sure more people who visit the local grocery store are on ratio,more likely to go nutz...lol

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 02:04 AM
link   

At the trial, Mark Petric testified that his son came into the room and asked his parents: "Would you guys close your eyes? I have a surprise for you."

The father testified that he expected a pleasant surprise. Then his head went numb from a gunshot.

His wife, Susan, 43, died of a gunshot wound to the head.

The prosecution said Daniel Petric then tried to make the shootings look like a murder and attempted suicide. He shoved the gun into his father's hand and said, "Hey Dad, here's your gun. Take it," Mark Petric testified.

hosted.ap.org...

There is something seriously wrong with this kid ! He should have received more than 23 years. Those are not the actions of a kid that's ticked off because his parents took away his video game. If by some wierd chance that was his reason then he should never be let out. Can you imagine what he would be capable of doing several years down the line if someone dared to fire him from his job ?

Edit to add link

[edit on 6/17/2009 by chise61]

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 02:48 AM
link   
reply to post by pluckynoonez

"Plucky" I'm glad you explained the Ozzy suicide thing better then I did... Honestly, I was starting to nap out as I was making my comments. I so appreciate you taking the time to include so much info to assist with my thread and point that we are responsable for our own actions. Not music making us do it or video games and so on... Great post ty

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Rory27

Great point "Rory27" ty

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by chise61

No doubt, "Chise61" thanks for adding so much to my thread, it does help with those who just don't get it and I appreciate it.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 04:15 AM
link   
For all of you who would like to blame the Oz man, that bat thing didn't happen like people say.

He confessed: "A fan threw it on stage and I thought it was a toy. It must have been stunned by the lights because it looked dead when I picked it up. I put it in my mouth as a joke. Its wings started flapping and I ripped it out of my mouth but its head came off!"

linkage

and about the song that Ozzy sang, Suicide Solution, when they found the teenagers body, it was playing.

This song isn't about suicide, but the dangers of alcohol, like the song "Alcohol Demon." Also, THERE ARE NO SUBLIMINAL MESSAGES. As for the teenagers that killed themselves, Ozzy was accused because the teenagers were listening to "Suicide Solution" when they were found dead. Like what Ozzy said: "I swear on mu kid's life I never said get the #ing gun." A great song though.

lINK

I couldnt have summed it up better..kudos to the Ozman!

They will always find blame somewhere..but NOT with the person whom it should be.. its not games..or music..but I do agree , look at the parents..maybe a hug a day could have worked wonders.

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 04:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Yummy Freelunch

No, Kudos to you my dear... You said it perfectly clear.
Cool Beans

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   

This sounds like the old argument that somehow, nebulous pieces of media can drive the youth to murder. If it's not a comic books such as "Blade" or the devil's music like "The Beatles" telling our youth to kill or "Ozzy biting the head off live bats", etc. are driving the kids to violence then certainly it must be video games. It couldn't simply be because of other phycological imbalances that science backs up as fact... Hmm Just a thought.

I just read a new srticle this morning but it was too short to post. The jury panel after the trial dismissed any and all claims that video games have anything to do with this case other then the boy was spoiled and didn't like being punished by his parents. My opinion: it could have been over being give the wrong color sucker as a child.

top topics

join