It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The underground city of Derinkuyu

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Derinkuyu Underground City is located in the homonymous Derinkuyu district in Nevşehir Province, Turkey. It is on the road between Nevşehir and Niğde, at a distance of 29 km from Nevşehir.

It was opened for visitors as of 1969 and to date, only ten percent of the underground city is accessible for tourists. Its eight floors extend at a depth of approximately 85 m.

The underground city at Derinkuyu has all the usual amenities found in other underground complexes across Cappadocia, such as wine and oil presses, stables, cellars, storage rooms, refectories, and chapels. Unique to the Derinkuyu complex and located on the second floor is a spacious room with a barrel vaulted ceiling. It has been reported that this room was used as a religious school and the rooms to the left were studies[1].

Between the third and fourth levels is a vertical staircase. This passage way leads to a cruciform church on the lowest level.

The large 55 m ventilation shaft appears to have been used as a well. The shaft also provided water to both the villagers above and, if the outside world was not accessible, to those in hiding.

-wikipedia
en.wikipedia.org...

pictures
docs.google.com...

A friend of mine emailed this to me and thought I would share it, seeing as I couldn't find anything on the search for this. I personally like anything to do with ancient cities, but I have always liked reading up on underground cities. I can only imagine how many undiscovered underground cities that are still waiting to be found!

Mod Note: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

[edit on Mon Jun 15 2009 by Jbird]

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Very interesting! I have always found underground dwellings intriguing!

-E-
P.S. The link to google docs for the pics requires a google account and password to view.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 12:43 AM
link   
For Some photos and a map of the Underground city, please check

www.popgive.com...

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 01:02 AM
link   
why in hell hasn;t this ever been on Cities of the underground. Hist. channel?

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Entire post deleted due to being complete BS since i misread the article source

[edit on 16/6/09 by logicalview]

[edit on 16/6/09 by logicalview]

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

It's been on some History channel, or Discovery channel. i recognize some of the pictures.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   
One reason it might not be on the Hist. Channel is because they only show what is allowed to be shown. They can't go and show every city because researchers are trying to hide certain cities from the Gen. Pop. because of there significance of ancient cultures.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by VenomR

Actually, I'm pretty sure it was on History Channel a bit ago, don't remember the name of the program.

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   
The show on the History channel in question is "Cities of the Underworld"

I watched that episode too. They explained that the city was used by the people living above ground as a shelter from invaders. It was an awsome episode.

[edit on 21-6-2009 by bismarcksea]

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by bismarcksea

Thought it was on Cities of the Underworld, but couldn't pull it up on the site.

Always am amazed at the ingenuity that is worked into old world designs.

[edit on 21-6-2009 by RuneSpider]

posted on Jun, 21 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Its a great site. I was there in '94

I can recommend Cappodica and the area around Goreme as a great place to visit.

An other worldly landscape

new topics

top topics

join