It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plague in the Southwestern United States

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2004 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Hi,

I was reading that plague is endemic in the Four Corners region. It's carried by rats. I'm wondering why there and no where else in the US?

Anybody know anything about this?

posted on May, 3 2004 @ 12:05 AM
link   
got a link to the article or anything?

posted on May, 3 2004 @ 12:09 AM
link   

posted on May, 3 2004 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Actualy I thought plauge was carried by fleas.

posted on May, 3 2004 @ 12:16 AM
link   
LOS ANGELES -- State health officials issued a warning Wednesday to people planning to be outdoors this holiday weekend to guard against bubonic plague, which is carried by rodents in foothills, mountains and along coastal areas.
Plague warning in California

This is from an article from 2 years ago. I doubt things have changed much by now though.

posted on May, 3 2004 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Sounds like the breakout they had a few years back...since you didn't sight a source...i would have to guess that you are refering to Hanta Virus....the disease comes from the droppings of the animal..and is carried into humans when one sweeps and raises dust...

when the weather conditions are just right it causes an over population of rodents...usually it's mice...the 4 corners area, which consists of the meeting of Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico and Utah...is mostly Navajo/Hopi reservation land

the native Americans in that area deal with a lot of dirt and dust..many of their homes are nothing more than hogans with dirt floors...altho there are some with nicer homes...the dust and dirt is all over that area.

If what you speak of is Hanta Virus...it won't be a good thing...as to why it doesn't show up anywhere else..like i said...the conditions have to be just right...

after all that...if it is not Hanta and is Plague (caused by fleas) as you posted, i would like to read where you got your information...and still the living conditions and weather for the past few seasons have a lot to do with it..so it's basically the same answer.

ETA..Ok read the article...and it is the Plague...but Hanta is also something that is very prevelent in that area as well.

~oracle

[Edited on 3-5-2004 by Oracle]

posted on May, 3 2004 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Evidently it is still around in New Mexico:

kobtv.com...

top topics

join