It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Secret of the Ancient Joker Grin - Revealed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Thousands of years before the Joker gassed comic book victims into a grinning death, Phoenician colonists on the island of Sardinia (map) were forcing smiles on the faces of the dead.

Now scientists say they know just how the ancient seafaring traders created the gruesome smiles some 2,800 years ago—not with a toxic gas like Batman's nemesis but with a plant-based potion.

And someday that plant might be used to Botox-like effect, perhaps reducing rather than adding smile lines, the researchers speculate
Source

A member of the deadly hemlock family, the herb is especially dangerous because of its fragrant smell and sweet-tasting roots.

"Generally poisonous plants are bitter or in some way repel people," Appendino said.

Hemlock water-dropwort "is only the second case I know of a toxic plant that is actually attractive to our senses. People might easily eat it in a potion," he added—or perhaps apply it in a lotion.

Appendino speculates that the plant may prove to have a cosmetic application.

"It relaxes the muscles," he said, "so it removes wrinkles."
Source

perhaps we should look back to the ancient sciences for more cosmetic remedies!!!

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by coredrill

Very interesting. I've never heard of the practice before. In the article, it refers to 'sardonic grin' coming from the Sardinian's gruesome custom. I suspected dishonest journalism and looked at the etymology...I was totally wrong...

sardonic Look up sardonic at Dictionary.com 1638, from Fr. sardonique (16c.), from L. sardonius (but as if from L. *sardonicus) in Sardonius risus, loan-translation of Gk. sardonios (gelos) "of bitter or scornful (laughter)," altered from Homeric sardanios (of uncertain origin) by influence of Sardonios "Sardinian," because the Greeks believed that eating a certain plant they called sardonion (lit. "plant from Sardinia," see Sardinia) caused facial convulsions resembling those of sardonic laughter, usually followed by death. For nuances of usage, see humor.
Source

Hemlock (Botanicals) is maybe most famous for Plato's account of the death of Socrates...

The chill had now reached the region about the groin, and uncovering his face, which had been covered, he said – and these were his last words – 'Crito, we owe a cock to Asclepius. Pay it and do not neglect it.' 'That,' said Crito, 'shall be done; but see if you have anything else to say.' To this question he made no reply, but after a little while he moved; the attendant uncovered him; his eyes were fixed. And Crito when he saw it, closed his mouth and eyes.
Hemlock Poisoning and the Death of Socrates: Did Plato Tell the Truth?

I'd enjoy reading the paper that inspired the article. It seems to me poisoning the elderly and dropping them off cliffs or bludgeoning them with rocks is elaborate. I'd like to see the evidence of this. Maybe you or other members can add some more details?

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 06:54 PM
link   
So interesting, many people who have been to the astral realms and such have often talked about jokers or clowns that seemed to entertain and explain profound things to them.

Come to think of it where on Earth did they come up with this in the first place?

imagecache5.art.com...

Notice the checkerboard floor, used in ancient societies to symbolise portals to the astral realms.
Notice how harlequins have bells on their hat, think about the ringing sounds reported by those who have OOBEs.

This has seriously got me thinking. Has that plant ever been used by shamanic cultures?

And does anyone who knows about the Tarot have anything to say about the joker relative to this?

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 06:54 PM
link   
So interesting, many people who have been to the astral realms and such have often talked about jokers or clowns that seemed to entertain and explain profound things to them.

Come to think of it where on Earth did they come up with this in the first place?

imagecache5.art.com...

Notice the checkerboard floor, used in ancient societies to symbolise portals to the astral realms.
Notice how harlequins have bells on their hat, think about the ringing sounds reported by those who have OOBEs.

This has seriously got me thinking. Has that plant ever been used by shamanic cultures?

And does anyone who knows about the Tarot have anything to say about the joker relative to this?

new topics

top topics

join