It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harriers - 40 years old and still jumping

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   
www.mod.uk...

Few aircraft can be described as truly iconic, fewer still remain in service over long periods, but this year the British-designed Harrier celebrates its 40th birthday, having spent the past five years as a mainstay on operations in Afghanistan.

Developed during the Cold War, the Harrier has continually been developed from the first GR1 that came into service in 1969.

40 years old

yes its been that long , that succesfull and in service , with only the C-130 and B-52 much older (and still in service)

done a good job all in i think

Mod Edit: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 7/6/2009 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I've always considered the Harrier to be an awesome aircraft, and yet it's hard to imagine it as that old.

Here's to another 40 years of service

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Yes, I agree. I fly Harriers on FSX and thats as close to real as it gets. They are a great experience. The Harrier deserves to be inducted into the Aircraft Hall Of Fame (if there is one) along with the Tomcat, Crusader, Sabre, Phantom, SR-71, and soon to be retired F-15 and F-16's. Thanks for the post, always look forward to reading about military aircraft.

posted on Jun, 7 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by skyeyes

You forgot the de havilland mosquito. But yes the Harrier does deserve a place in your hall of fame, all you need to do is buy one of each and a very large hanger and they will come, they will come!

top topics

join