It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cold War Teachings

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2004 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Why is it that in my history textbooks the cold war gets about ten pages out of nine hundred some pages. Why is it that none of my teachers will ever tell us anything about the cold war. Why if it weren't for the internet thanks to my school i would have never heard of any cold war or Soviet Union. Does any of this seem unusual or do i need to cut back on sugar.

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by cyberdude78
Why is it that in my history textbooks the cold war gets about ten pages out of nine hundred some pages. Why is it that none of my teachers will ever tell us anything about the cold war. Why if it weren't for the internet thanks to my school i would have never heard of any cold war or Soviet Union. Does any of this seem unusual or do i need to cut back on sugar.

Not quite sure what history textbook you're reading. Are you in post-pinko Russia? ...I'll let that one hang in the air for a moment.

My American History class studied the Cold War for about two weeks, out of a thirty-eight week year. This is pretty good, considering it was a general history course. Incidentally, I also think that we covered it fairly objectively; that is, spending copious amounts of time on the discussion and analysis of McCarthyism, events, leaders, etc.
I still remember the concept of Gorbachev's "petroiska" or "Openness." And the subsequent 20 page essay which accompanied a debate about it.

I think there's still a lot of secrecy surrounding the Cold War, but that's not surprising. I can tell you, though, we studied it fairly thoroughly for a one-year course, and I definitely knew what it was before the course itself. Perhaps your lack of knowledge can be attributed to simple worldly ignorance?

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 01:07 AM
link   
They don't talk about it for a number of reasons...

The Soviet Union and it's allies embarassed the Americans on countless occasions...

The American government could also not want details of it's dirty past in the Cold War revealed in fear of investigation.

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 01:30 AM
link   
It might be because many schools use textbooks that are 20+ years old. Of course the book wouldn't go into the cold war much, since it wasn't history, but current events. Also, the cold war was a rather short period compared to all of known history, albeit a very important one for us today. For a general history course to cover all the major periods, it would be impossible to spend too much time on any one period. It's probably more important to cover periods such as ancient Egypt, Rome, and Greece.

Another reason should sit well with you conspiracy theorists out there: maybe it's because the cold war is still fresh in many people's memories, so the government and the rewriters of history can't screw up the facts much yet - so they just say nothing. In another decade or so they can say what they want to about the cold war. I'm not being sarcastic here - it's well known that history changes to match the polical and social climates ("History is written be the victor"). Hopefully the internet and other alternate media can help preserve history as it really was.

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by PurdueNuc

Another reason should sit well with you conspiracy theorists out there: maybe it's because the cold war is still fresh in many people's memories, so the government and the rewriters of history can't screw up the facts much yet - so they just say nothing. In another decade or so they can say what they want to about the cold war.

"The victor writes the history books," as the old adage goes.

Interesting point.

On a related note, albiet not with the USSR -- Fidel Castro said that his communist (eh...loosely used) administration will outlast the Bush White House. Kind of snarky, if you ask me. But interesting, nonetheless.

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I think it'll be a combination of things that it isn't taught. Firstly the fact that with all the issues involved it is very hard to teahc without students having a high level of understanding of world events around that time. Also it only ended 15 years ago, I may be wrong but I don't think much was taught about WW2 during the 15 years after it.

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Right now in my US studies class, we're studying the Cold War, and we will be for one and a-half weeks. So far we've learned about the Containment Policy that the US adopted, and how it blew up in their face in Asia. Tommorw we're going to study McCarthyism and the Big Red Scare. So I guess our book is the un-biased version written by the victors.

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Exactly! Here they dont teach you serious history until college! The American school system sucks! I hate going to school here. The children dont even know what or where Uzbekistan is! And they are in 6th garde!

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by AD5673
Exactly! Here they dont teach you serious history until college! The American school system sucks! I hate going to school here. The children dont even know what or where Uzbekistan is! And they are in 6th garde!

ooze-beck-is-stan? Yeah, I've heard of them! Number 7 on TRL, right?

Seriously, there is a lot that isn't taught in US schools. Part of the problem I've noticed is that every class spends the first several weeks covering the last year/semester's material. So we probably lose a good year's worth of education. A solution to this would be year-long school
Without that break students would be less apt to forget what they've been taught. Of course, the teachers unions would throw a huge fit.

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Currently this is a U.S. History Class that is supposed to go from the Civil War to 9/11. The textbooks are reletivly new (published 2002). But its weird that even say the Korean War got about 1 page and that made it sound like a small peace keeping operation instead of an actual war. But it may have to do with my school stinks. One day they were selling expired chips for 25 cents a bag.

[Edited on 5/8/2004 by cyberdude78]

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 02:55 PM
link   
The cold war didnt end till my sophomore year of highschool, when the Soviet Union collapsed. So, ti depends on the date of your textbooks.

Of course, i would have to agree, schools do a poor job of teaching anything.

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by PolskieWojsko

The Soviet Union and it's allies embarassed the Americans on countless occasions...

The American government could also not want details of it's dirty past in the Cold War revealed in fear of investigation.

Oh really?

I remember Berlin in 1990, after the Wall fell. The Soviet Soldiers were selling the clothes off their back, hehe. A little morale problem, or were they just hungry? I helped them out by buying a wool winter cap. Nice.

posted on May, 14 2004 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Yes, after the Soviet Union fell thing were much worse for all of the former states and neighboring Warsaw pact countries. The Soviets nor Poland never really recovered from WWII. Germany of course, recieved full aid from the U.S. and was rebuilt, even though they caused WWII?!!

Poland was the first to fight the Germans, yet they were stabbed in the back by the allies and sold to the Soviets. They continued to fight the Germans under Soviet, American, and British command. They were sent on suicide missions because they were considered "expendable" by their supposed allies.

But they never mention that in the history books now do they?

[Edited on 14-5-2004 by PolskieWojsko]

posted on May, 14 2004 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Actually they do teach that in history class, Polskie.

Which is why Poland and Czecoslovakia are the only countries I actually felt in WW2 that did not deserve thier fates, nor occupation by the Russians afterwords. Everyone else either supported Hitler, made deals with him, looked the other way, or antagonized him. Except those two.

posted on May, 14 2004 @ 08:29 PM
link   
My old history book last year came before the cold war. It may have only been published the year after man landed on the moon. I go to a school in connecticut all they teach us about is the revolutionary war and ancient history. I think one history book a few years back said man will not land on the moon.

[Edited on 14-5-2004 by cpr12r]

posted on May, 14 2004 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by PolskieWojsko

Wow! Talk about a sore loser. Here, take a hanky and blow your nose, then wipe your tears!

Why worry about the history books? You have plenty of people around that can tell you about the "Cold" War. Not only the military folks, but the civilians living under the threat of intercontinental nuclear warfare. Not only soldiers such as myself that served during teh golden years of Reagan, but those who served during the frozen battles in Korea and firefights in the humid jungles of Vietnam, such as my father. You can get a well rounded view of those years from many people who experienced it from different angles, rather than the slanted view of one writer.

posted on May, 14 2004 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by AD5673

Don't woryy about Uzbekistan is, it isn't nearly as important as you getting a grasp on the constitution, not only the words but also the thoughts of the Founders! Now, go forth and read. You aren't limited to school hours, you can learn any time! I found out that one can learn even more when one searches alone instead of in an organized class environment.

Now, get off the computer and find a book!

posted on May, 14 2004 @ 09:30 PM
link   
"Wow! Talk about a sore loser. Here, take a hanky and blow your nose, then wipe your tears! "

Heh, I guess I'll get over it. But I am on neither side. It would have been nice to see the two systems try to work together instead of destroying each other. Imagine how much further we would have been today if we did not spend it all on weapons?

posted on May, 14 2004 @ 09:36 PM
link   
It doesn't matter to me if you're a Red or not, I was tongue in cheek.

As far as two totally opposing sides working together, that need not even be dissected. One side for individual freedom and rugged individualism, the other for total control by the government. I don't see the two holding hands in the moonlight.

posted on May, 15 2004 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Note:
Getting communism [sic] and capitalism to coexist in any way resembling "peacefully" is like trying to herd cats.

Two diametrically opposed systems of government, which do not have any essential fundamental values...Not possible.
Like Francium and Water, it's a rather nasty burn.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join