It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Long distance space travel leaves you short, fat and ugly, claim scientists

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Long distance space travel leaves you short, fat and ugly, claim scientists

www.telegraph.co.uk

Going boldly where no man has gone before is likely to leave you going bald, claims scientists – not to mention fat and ugly.

Making long space journeys, like those envisaged in the future, will not be good for your looks or figure, claim scientists who believe they will leave astronauts looking short, fat and bald.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 09:19 AM
link   
They believe living permanently in space for many years, perhaps even for many generations, adversely affects human's looks because they will not require any effort to move or keep warm.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Interesting story. I thought NASA had done plenty of tests on exercising in space to avoid exactly this scenario? This line caught my attention though:

"Without gravity, fluid would float up to pool in the skull, which would cause the head to look permanently swollen out of proportion."

Greys, anyone?!?!?!

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by 0010110011101

Most Westerners seem to be short, fat and bald these days thanks to Fast Food ... this hasn't diminished it's popularity.
Similarly, Space Travel will be fine as long as they don't establish a McDonalds on the ISS.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   

I always wondered how Captain Picard was bald

On a serious note, I await more information later on saying staying in space is healthy.

They contradict themselves constantly in articles.

Lot of nonsense and a waste of money.

Unless of course we have been going to space for long enough to study in depth but I doubt it.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   
hoho swollen heads and no hair... we will be Greys

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Making long space journeys, like those envisaged in the future, will not be good for your looks or figure, claim scientists who believe they will leave astronauts looking short, fat and bald.

Damn, I had a fantasy about aliens coming to Earth, they all looked like Jessica Alba and their homeplanet was totaly devoid of males, they were looking to abduct male humans and take them back. If they're fat and ugly when they get here, what will they be like when we get there?

You just RUINED it!

[edit on 5-6-2009 by kiwifoot]

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by kiwifoot

No no my friend, you're talking about the Albians, they will be here shortly after the Greys to adorn all men with everlasting nirvana........!

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Spielberg was right....

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I think that is just NASA just trying to get people to not want to go into space. I mean I thought the reason they had tredmills and exercise bikes was to prevent getting fat and losing bone density.

With the Google X-prize and similar contests, people are treding on goverment teritory. Im not saying space is owned by anyone, but I would think that the world Gov'ts want to keep civillians out.

But the whole fuild in the head thing makes alot of sence...Like other have posted Greys come to mine aswell as " ET ". But I just think the " Short, fat, bald and ulgy " statement is to get people to not want to go into space.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
This must be why so many races prefer wormhole technology and hollow out astroids and set up various bases, because they don't want to just stay aboard their crafts. Of course, our conditions aboard a craft, and theirs are somewhat different, for I imagine they can make crafts appear like mini worlds inside too with all the right conditions for their requirements, and plenty of physical activity. After all, scientists say there are stars billions of years older than the sun, this means quite a bit of higher technology is available. So they're just talking about our commonly known capabilites. Who knows whats hidden. Just saying.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Somebody beat you to this story
Thread exists here ATS is faster then the speed of MSM!

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Next time I see those bald, short, fat, and ugly folks, I'll be thinking long distance space travel.
Yeah, more like, "you're definitely not from this planet".

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Thread exists here

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 08:28 PM
link   
I suppose if the astronauts ship / space station had an artificial gravity equal to that of Earth or slightly heavier, then their short, fat and ugly theory goes out the window. As long as they get regular exercise and eat healthy food...... and have a plastic surgery Dr. on board to FIX the ugly.

top topics

join